US Claims Ownership of Ukraine Peace Strategy Amidst Controversy

Estimated read time 4 min read

Secretary of State Marco Rubio has recently affirmed that the US is behind the proposed peace plan aimed at resolving the Ukraine conflict, a plan that many believe seems to cater to Russian interests.

This development follows remarks from several senators who indicated that Rubio had informed them the proposal acted more like a Russian “wish list” and did not actually represent American policy.

Rubio later walked back those assertions, stating firmly that the plan is “authored by the US” and takes into account suggestions from both Russia and Ukraine.

His comments came as he was en route to Geneva, Switzerland, to engage with Ukrainian and European security officials about the very plan that President Donald Trump has urged Kyiv to accept quickly.

Across Europe, Ukraine’s allies are expressing concerns about major elements of this draft, which has yet to be fully unveiled but has been largely circulated in the media.

The proposal reportedly suggests that Ukraine must withdraw its forces from eastern areas where Russia has failed to assert control through military means and proposes to cap the size of Ukraine’s armed forces.

On Saturday, Republican Senator Mike Rounds mentioned that Rubio told lawmakers the draft was not an official US proposal.

At the Halifax Security Forum, Rounds shared, “Rubio told us this was not an American suggestion.” He claimed the plan had been introduced to Steve Witkoff, Trump’s foreign diplomatic envoy, by a representative linked to Russia, emphasizing that it wasn’t their recommendation nor a peace initiative.

Responding swiftly, State Department spokesperson Tommy Pigott labeled Rounds’s account of the conversation with Rubio as “blatantly false.” He noted on X, “As Secretary Rubio and the entire Administration have consistently asserted, this plan is indeed a US creation, designed with input from both the Russian and Ukrainian sides.”

Post Ruby’s clarification, he took to social media to reiterate: “The peace proposal originates from the US. It constitutes contributions from the Russian side but equally reflects feedback from Ukraine.”

During the same timeframe, Trump stated that the proposed plan shouldn’t be seen as a “final offer” for Ukraine, reiterating that President Volodymyr Zelensky will need to give it the green light.

The leaders of several Ukrainian allies - including Canada, France and Germany - met at the G20 summit
The leaders of key Ukrainian allies, including Canada, France, and Germany, gathered at the G20 summit.

When the 28-point outlines were leaked, Zelensky remarked his country was facing “one of the hardest situations in our history” due to pressure from the US to comply, while Russian President Vladimir Putin claimed aspects could be the foundation for an agreement.

Recent remarks from Trump suggested Ukraine had until Thursday to accept the proposal; however, he noted that the deadline could be extended should negotiations progress positively.

Both Rubio and Witkoff are set to attend the Geneva meeting, alongside security officials from the UK, France, and Germany, plus representatives from Ukraine.

Previously, allies of Ukraine publicly rejected the draft, asserting in a statement from the G20 summit in South Africa that it could leave Ukraine susceptible to fresh attacks.

The statement recognized that while the plan holds elements fundamental for achieving a fair and enduring peace, it still needs “additional work,” particularly concerning border alterations and military constraints on Ukraine.

This message was echoed by leaders from various countries, including Canada, Finland, Japan, and Germany, who participated as signatories, along with two senior EU officials.

While at the summit in Johannesburg, French President Emmanuel Macron underscored that the proposal couldn’t merely reflect American interests, and must ensure security for all Europeans.

German Chancellor Friedrich Merz remarked, “There’s still a considerable distance to go before we reach a satisfactory resolution for everyone involved.”

Furthermore, UK Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer had conversations with both Zelensky and Trump, with No 10 stating he briefed the US president on recent discussions regarding the draft.

Since Russia invaded Ukraine in February 2022, Ukrainian forces have increasingly relied on American-sourced weaponry.

The existing proposal would mandate Ukrainian troop withdrawals from regions in the eastern Donetsk territory they currently hold, effectively cementing Russian influence in Donetsk, Luhansk, and Crimea, annexed in 2014.

Additionally, the plan outlines freezing the borders of areas like Kherson and Zaporizhzhia along established battle lines, with both regions seeing partial Russian occupation.

While mentioned in the plan are “secure guarantees” for Ukraine, specifics remain undisclosed, with anticipations that Russia won’t engage in further invasions and NATO expansion will halt.

On Saturday, Zelensky announced that Andriy Yermak, his head of office, would lead Ukraine’s negotiating team in talks over the peace deal, which might involve discussions with Russia. In a social media video, he declared, “Our negotiators know how to safeguard Ukraine’s national interests and understand what measures prevent Russia from orchestrating further strikes against our nation.”

Related Posts: