AustraliaFive Gold Coast men charged over two-year $330,000 'phone scam'
$1.9 million worth of cannabis found as police target drug traffickers
Five people have been charged and almost 600 cannabis plants and 64 kilograms of dried cannabis seized across 10 properties and storage facilities.
Five Gold Coast men were the masterminds behind two fake businesses used to fleece $330,000 from victims over the phone as part of a two-year investment scam, according to police.
It will be alleged the companies appeared legitimate and convinced victims their investment had produced a significant profit, but they needed to make an extra payment to release the funds.
But police said the investment did not deliver as promised, the profit never existed and the victims never received their funds.
Five men, aged between 45 and 75, were arrested last month and each charged this month with 11 counts of fraud.
Tomic's dad charged with drink driving
The father of Australian tennis star Bernard Tomic has been allegedly caught driving over the limit on the Gold Coast. John Tomic was pulled by over on Ferry Road, Southport, and allegedly returned a reading of .058. Police allege the 55-year-old was “intercepted due to the manner of driving”. © AAP Image/Julian Smith John Tomic was pulled by over on Ferry Road, Southport, and allegedly returned a reading of .058. Tomic was charged with driving over the general alcohol limit. He was issued with a notice to appear at Southport Magistrates Court on June 20. © AAP Tennis star Bernard Tomic.
Financial and Cyber Crime Group Detective Superintendent Terry Lawrence said the cold call investment scam allegedly ran between 2013 and 2015.
"We ask the community to remain alert to and resilient against this type of offending. Always seek independent financial advice concerning any unsolicited telephone calls or emails offering investment opportunities," he said.
"Through the QPS campaign, R U in Control, we continue to provide updates on the latest scams and offer simple measures on how people can avoid financial and cybercrime."
One man is due to appear in the Southport Magistrates Court on Tuesday and the others are due to appear in the coming weeks.
Pedestrian remains critical after being hit by a car overnight on Gold Coast.
The man was taken to hospital in a critical condition after the driver stopped and helped until paramedics arrived.
Here & Now Tuesday, February 26, 2019
Here & Now - Every day, around Newfoundland and Labrador, Debbie Cooper and Anthony Germain, and the entire Here & Now team pull out all the stops to ...