Australia: Aged care centre operator accused of charging residents the same day they were forced to leave - - PressFrom - Australia
  •   
  •   

AustraliaAged care centre operator accused of charging residents the same day they were forced to leave

18:33  12 july  2019
18:33  12 july  2019 Source:   abc.net.au

NSW flu deaths rise to 57, aged hit hard

NSW flu deaths rise to 57, aged hit hard Flu deaths have risen to 57 in NSW, with the state's health ministry urging people to get a flu shot before visiting elderly residents in aged care homes. The elderly continue to fall victim to this year's flu virus, with seven more fatalities in the past week of a person aged over 60 years, bringing the annual toll to 57 confirmed deaths. NSW Health has warned flu outbreaks in aged-care facilities continue to rise, prompting a warning for people to get vaccinated before visiting the elderly and to stay home if they are ill.

That left it up to aged care residents , some of whom are highly vulnerable, to realise they were being wrongly charged . The operator of an aged care centre that closed on Thursday afternoon extracted a monthly charge from the bank accounts of at least two residents on the same day they

The operator of a Gold Coast aged care facility is accused of taking money from the bank accounts of residents at the same time they were being evacuated because the centre was closing.

Aged care centre operator accused of charging residents the same day they were forced to leave© Provided by Australian Broadcasting Corporation A monthly charge for Earle Haven was taken from Lorraine Cook's bank account on Thursday night, as the centre was closing down. (ABC News: Steven Keen)

The operator of an aged care centre that closed on Thursday afternoon extracted a monthly charge from the bank accounts of at least two residents on the same day they were made homeless, family members have told the ABC.

Aged care centre operator accused of charging residents the same day they were forced to leave
How To Get A Home Loan With 5% Deposit
Find out more on Finder
Ad Finder.com.au

A contract dispute between the owners of Earle Haven Retirement Village at Nerang and the contractor running the Gold Coast facility left more than 70 vulnerable elderly residents in limbo when it was shut down about 2:00pm on Thursday.

Unvaccinated family putting elderly at risk of flu deaths, health warning

Unvaccinated family putting elderly at risk of flu deaths, health warning The flu has killed 66 people so far this year, according to the latest NSW Health Influenza Surveillance report. All 66 deaths have been people aged over 60.

Gold Coast aged - care residents distressed after Earle Haven Retirement Village's sudden closure. 5 days ago. The Sydney Morning Herald. ANZ reveals 2m full year remediation hit. Are The Joker and Batman Half Brothers? Solving the Joker Mystery Surrounding Thomas Wayne.

Orphaned aged care residents experiencing loneliness over the festive season say the idea of adopting a granny is a great initiative that would alleviate depression and 07/12/19--03:05: Aged care centre operator accused of charging residents the same day they were forced to leave .

But HelpStreet Group, which operated the centre, has been accused of still collecting money as the shutdown proceeded.

Elizabeth Brown's mother, who has dementia, was one of those evacuated from Earle Haven.

Ms Brown told the ABC on Friday afternoon that $2,500 was withdrawn from their account to pay for next month's services.

"I received a tax invoice on the 10th and it indicates, as per normal, that the payment is due on the 20th of July," she said.

"However, I contacted the bank this afternoon and they have indicated that the payment came out yesterday on the 11th of July."

Lorraine Cook's husband had only arrived at Earle Haven last week before being one of those forced to leave.

Ms Cook also confirmed the payment due on July 20 was taken from her account on Thursday.

Nurses walk off the job as aged care home unexpectedly closes

Nurses walk off the job as aged care home unexpectedly closes Frustrated nurses have walked off the job at an aged care facility on the Gold Coast after a pay dispute reached breaking point. A fleet of ambulances and ten Queensland Health staff arrived at Earle Haven Retirement Village in Nerang about midday when the facility apparently went into administration. Care contractor Help Street said they had been forced to tell staff their employment was no longer guaranteed, and had called in Queensland Health when many staff walked off the job.

I wonder how many people would be willing to leave their elderly parent home alone day and night but for four brief visits by strangers? While Mum put on a polite, brave face, once they were gone she was tearful and unsettled, admitting she didn’t feel safe with them .

Girls Do Porn actor is accused of sexually assaulting more than two dozen women who say they were poor and conned into filming explicit scenes for Girl, 16, killed herself after telling her mother she had been 'betrayed' by a ChildLine operator who contacted police after she cut off a live chat, coroner

"While all this fracas was going on yesterday, they took money out of everybody's account early," Ms Cook said.

"I rang around and told a lot of people about it but it's too late. They've already done it.

"It's not their money. They won't be there to do the care so they shouldn't have taken it."

She said her husband was "very, very confused, like most of them down there".

The ABC contacted HelpStreet's legal team who said they would not be making any further comment.

Ms Brown said she had not been contacted by HelpStreet.

"I'm beyond disappointed. The staff were lovely and I was there a fortnight ago. They were so nice. It is so disappointing that it could come to this for those elderly people," she said.

Ms Brown said the one good thing was that her mother was coping well.

"One potential upside to dementia, she thinks it's a lovely place. It's got some nice artwork. So look, that is a positive."

Aged care minister and police investigate retirement village shut down

Aged care minister and police investigate retirement village shut down The aged care minister and the police are both investigating the sudden closure of a retirement village that has left residents without a home. The sudden closure of Earle Haven retirement village on the Gold Coast has been described as an 'emergency situation' after carers abandoned their patients and walked out carrying patient records and medication on Thursday. Families say they were given no information ahead of the closure, with one man claiming he paid a $350,000 bond for his elderly father, the day before the facility closed its doors.

N'denezsia Lancaster is now charged with A North Carolina woman charged with kidnapping a three-year-old girl has now now accused of kidnapping another toddler on the same day . But prosecutors say Lancaster previously took two-year-old girl Woodward from the same spot and Ahlora was seen leaving the scene with the woman and the person 'overseeing' her called 911 once

A Moroccan journalist who was jailed after being accused of sex outside marriage and having an abortion has been pardoned by the king after her case sparked outrage. King Mohammed VI on Wednesday issued a royal pardon for Hajar Raissouni, overturning a court sentence for an 'illegal

Authorities greeted with chaotic scenes

HelpStreet Group said they had no choice to close after staff allegedly went unpaid due to a contract dispute with People Care, the overarching aged care provider.

Staff called triple-0, asking for authorities to attend Earle Haven and police officers were met by chaotic scenes when accommodation had to be found for more than 70 residents, many of whom have dementia.

More than 32 paramedics, nurses, doctors and Queensland Health staff, as well as the state Health Minister, attended the village to organise the transfers.

Over eight hours, the majority of residents were moved to about a dozen other nursing homes and three were taken to hospital. The urgent operation was completed just after 1:00am.

It is understood People Care hired management company HelpStreet Group to run the facility in April 2018, after the Federal Government listed four sanctions for management and regulatory compliance concerns, and a failure to ensure residents received appropriate clinical care.

HelpStreet's Chris Bunker said over the past 15 months they had employed new staff and improved systems, however that had come at a cost.

Mr Bunker said People Care — of which Arthur Miller is the director — wanted to end their contract early, on August 9.

He alleged People Care had not paid them for a month, and previous months were late, and there were deductions that they could not account for.

However, a statement from lawyers acting for People Care said an email was sent to Mr Bunker on Thursday giving assurances that all payments would be made to HelpStreet "up to the date of departure from the premises".

In the statement, People Care alleged that HelpStreet engaged removalists to take "computers, client records, furniture and effects without any notice" — an allegation that HelpStreet has denied.

Read more

Residents evacuated after Brisbane factory fire.
A huge Brisbane factory fire forced the evacuation of dozens of residents overnight.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 3
This is interesting!