•   
  •   

AustraliaMessage thrown overboard 50 years ago washes up, sparking search for author Paul Gilmore

11:50  17 july  2019
11:50  17 july  2019 Source:   abc.net.au

Search resumes for missing NSW fisherman

Search resumes for missing NSW fisherman Authorities have resumed the search for a fisherman who fell from rocks at Timber Beach, where the NSW Central Coast borders Lake Macquarie, on Sunday. The search for a fisherman who was swept off rocks and sucked into a notoriously treacherous sea cave on the NSW Central Coast has resumed. The 60-year-old man was fishing with two other people when he fell into the water at Timber Beach, south of Caves Beach, about 10.30am on Sunday. It's believed he was wearing a life jacket, NSW Police said in a statement.

Paul Gilmore threw the letter overboard from the Sitmar Line's Fairstar in 1969. This message was found on a WA beach 35 years after it was sent. (ABC Rural: Michelle Stanley). Clever online investigators have already uncovered what appears to be Mr Gilmore 's emigration card from archives.

Paul Gilmore was just 13 when, on 17 November 1969, he dropped the bottle into the Indian Ocean hoping to reach a new friend. "He was so excited," his mother Carla Elliott told the ABC. Message thrown overboard 50 years ago washes up , sparking search for author Paul Gilmore https

Message thrown overboard 50 years ago washes up, sparking search for author Paul Gilmore© Provided by Australian Broadcasting Corporation Paul Gilmore threw the letter overboard from the Sitmar Line's Fairstar in 1969. (Supplied: Carla Elliott)

A decades-old message in a bottle has been found by a young boy during a fishing trip with his dad on a remote South Australian beach, prompting a search for its author.

South Australian student Jyah Elliott found the letter, written in 1969 by a Paul Gilmore, who said he was emigrating from England to Melbourne.

Mr Elliott was at Talia Beach on South Australia's Eyre Peninsula with his father Paul yesterday, when he made the discovery.

Bushwalker missing in Tasmanian wilderness found alive

Bushwalker missing in Tasmanian wilderness found alive Melbourne man David Bowman, who had been missing in Tasmania's rugged wilderness, has been found by search teams. Melbourne man Michael Bowman, who had been missing in Tasmania's rugged wilderness, h Tasmanian police said the 57 year old was being flown to Hobart for medical assessment as a precaution. A search began on Monday after Mr Bowman failed to return to the Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair Visitor Centre from a bushwalk on Saturday. The alarm was raised by his next of kin after he failed to contact them.

Wednesday, 8 January 2020 Message thrown overboard 50 years ago washes up | Sky New Zealand A decades-old message in a bottle is found by a young boy during

ago washes up , sparking search for author Paul Gilmore : Search resumes for missing NSW fisherman Authorities have resumed the search for a Message -in-a-bottle author , Paul Gilmore , found 50 years after his letter was thrown overboard .

"I'm from England and I'm travelling to Melbourne, Australia," the letter read.

"We are 1,000 miles east of Fremantle, Western Australia."

The letter listed an address in Mitcham, Victoria, where Mr Gilmore was moving to, before asking the reader to "please reply".

Dated November 17, 1969, it appeared to have been sent from onboard the TSS Fairstar, a ship which brought so-called "Ten Pound Poms" from England to Australia between 1945 and 1972.

The man would be 63 years old this year, if the letter is accurate.

An unexpected discovery

Message thrown overboard 50 years ago washes up, sparking search for author Paul Gilmore© ABC News Images A decades-old message in a bottle is found by a young boy during a fishing trip with his dad on a remote South Australian beach.

Jyah, who is nine, found the bottle in dunes while his father Paul was fishing near Talia Beach, between Elliston beach and Venus Bay.

Google executive finally confirms that the tech giant is no longer working on a censored search engine for China

Google executive finally confirms that the tech giant is no longer working on a censored search engine for China Google finally said that it is killing the censored search engine it had been building for China, known internally as Project Dragonfly. "Yes, we have terminated that," Karan Bhatia, Google's VP of Government Affairs and Public Policy, said at Tuesday's Senate hearing entitled, "Google and Censorship through Search Engines."

Image caption Paul Gilmore (centre) threw the note into the Indian Ocean around 50 years ago . The author of a message in a bottle has been located some 50 years after he threw it into the Indian Ocean. Paul Gilmore , then 13, dropped the bottle into the ocean while sailing with his family on a

The man who wrote a 50 - year -old message in a bottle found on Wednesday has been tracked ABC located Paul Gilmore , who wrote the letter when he was 13, through his family in Australia and Gilmore threw the letter overboard while on a ship traveling with his family from England to Australia

"It was about six inches, it had a white, round lid, it was see-through and made out of glass," Mr Elliott said.

At first, he thought the letter was a fake.

"Jyah wanted to open it, and so he opened it and tried to get it out, but it was a bit damp … I couldn't get it in my fingers, so we had to break it."

His wife Carla Elliot said her son was thrilled with the find.

"He was so excited, he said he found a message in a bottle from 1869," she said.

"I said, '1869? Are you sure about that?' He goes 'oh no, 1969'."

Jyah has written a reply to the letter, which the family have mailed to the Melbourne address Mr Gilmore wrote he would be moving to.

The family have also turned to more modern means to find Mr Gilmore.

Ms Elliott posted the letter to Facebook, which has so far generated hundreds of comments.

Clever online investigators have already uncovered what appears to be Mr Gilmore's emigration card from archives.

It showed the Fairstar ship left England from Southampton.

Ms Elliott said she hoped someone who knew Mr Gilmore would step forward.

"I was annoyed with my husband that he didn't take a photo of the actual bottle when he found it," Ms Elliott said.

In 2018, a message in a bottle was found dated June 12, 1886, which said it had been thrown overboard from the German sailing barque Paula, 950 kilometres from the WA coast.

Another one was found, also in WA, in 2017 — although it was from 35 years ago.

Read more

A bottle by the sea found in Australia ... half a century later! .
© Frédéric MICHEL / Europe 1 Jyah Elliot, nine, will probably have to wait a moment to hear from the author of the message, now 63 years old: he has again set to sea. Jyah Elliot, new years old, will probably have to wait a moment to hear from the author of the message, who is now 63 years old: he has again set to sea.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks
usr: 3
This is interesting!