Australia: AFP raid home of former government adviser - PressFrom - Australia
  •   
  •   

AustraliaAFP raid home of former government adviser

06:10  04 september  2019
06:10  04 september  2019 Source:   msn.com

Home Affairs Secretary Mike Pezzullo complimented AFP for raid on home of journalist Annika Smethurst

Home Affairs Secretary Mike Pezzullo complimented AFP for raid on home of journalist Annika Smethurst Newly released documents reveal senior public servant Mike Pezzullo telephoned AFP Deputy Commissioner Neil Gaughan to compliment him on the police raid on the home of News Corp journalist Annika Smethurst. Newly released documents revealed that in an email sent to staff on the evening of the raid, Mr Gaughan said: "Good work by all involved. I also received a call this evening from the Sec DHA [Secretary of the Department of Home Affairs, Mr Pezzullo] who is fully supportive of the actions of the AFP and ask [sic] me to pass on my [sic] thanks to the team involved. "Well done — tomorrow is another day.

AFP denies it was ordered by government to raid Labor offices. LABOR has come out swinging about night raids in the middle of an election campaign. They spent even longer at the Melbourne home of a former adviser Andy Byrne, who now works for opposition communications spokesman Jason Clare.

Labor confirmed the raids on Thursday, with shadow finance spokesman Tony Burke saying they Former communications minister, Labor senator Stephen Conroy is believed to be one of the By convention, the AFP chief has to call the Justice Minister when a politically sensitive raid takes place".

AFP raid home of former government adviser © LUkas Coch/AAP Image This is in addition to the $630 million allocated to national security last year. Federal police have raided the Canberra home of a former government adviser.

Australian Federal Police officers descended on the Griffith property on Wednesday morning.

"This activity does not relate to any current or impending threat to the Australian community," an AFP spokesman said in a statement.

"As this is an ongoing matter, it would not be appropriate to comment further at this time."

The homeowner is a former senior media adviser within the government, Network Ten reports.

Police officers carrying bags of evidence were seen leaving the property.

The operation comes three months after federal police raided the Canberra home of News Corp journalist Annika Smethurst and the Sydney headquarters of the ABC.

The consecutive June raids were in relation to separate stories based on leaked government information.

Financial adviser allegedly ripped off clients to fund gambling.
WA police allege Mark Sebo from Yanchep misappropriated $948,236.96 of clients' funds without authority to do so. © 9News His licence has been cancelled. He is accused of using that money to fund a gambling habit, transferring the allegedly stolen funds into personal online gambling accounts. This was the first appearance for the 38-year-old Yanchep man. The magistrate today at Joondalup Court saying due to the seriousness of the charges his case needs to be heard in a higher court. Sebo's licence to practice as a financial adviser has been cancelled by ASIC following the charges.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 3
This is interesting!