Australia: New date set for Jack De Belin and Callan Sinclair rape trial - PressFrom - Australia
  •   
  •   

AustraliaNew date set for Jack De Belin and Callan Sinclair rape trial

02:50  12 september  2019
02:50  12 september  2019 Source:   smh.com.au

Jaymes Todd sentenced to life in prison for rape, murder of Eurydice Dixon

Jaymes Todd sentenced to life in prison for rape, murder of Eurydice Dixon Jaymes Todd will serve at least 35 years in jail for the rape and murder of 22-year-old Eurydice Dixon at Princes Park in June last year.

NRL player Jack de Belin 's trial for sexual assault charges will begin in March next year. Another man, 22-year-old Callan Sinclair , faces identical charges. At a brief hearing at Wollongong District Court on Tuesday, Judge Paul Conlon set the pair's trial for March 2, 2020, with an estimated trial

Sidelined NRL star Jack de Belin has been committed to stand trial on charges he raped a teenager five times. One of the charges against De Belin and Shell Cove man Callan Sinclair , 22, alleges the pair De Belin , a former NSW State of Origin player, said nothing as magistrate Michael Stoddart on

Video provided by ABC News

Sidelined St George Illawarra Dragons player Jack de Belin will face trial a month earlier than planned after a judge on Wednesday agreed to move the star forward's case to the start of the 2020 legal year.

De Belin and co-accused, Callan Sinclair, were told in August that their joint trial over the alleged rape of a woman inside a Wollongong unit last December would begin on March 2 next year.

At the time, Wollongong District Court acting judge Paul Conlon was critical of suggestions the case may not be able to proceed until May because of the unavailability of both Crown and defence barristers.

Royal bodyguard arrested on suspicion of rape and stalking

Royal bodyguard arrested on suspicion of rape and stalking A royal protection officer has been arrested on suspicion of rape and stalking. © Getty The arrested officer is a royal bodyguard, but no further details about his role have been released The serving Metropolitan Police inspector has been placed on restricted duties while the claims are investigated. He was arrested on 22 August by Sussex Police, who are heading the investigation. "We can confirm a serving Metropolitan Police officer has been arrested on suspicion of rape and stalking involving serious alarm or distress," the Met Police said.

De Belin , 27, and Callan Sinclair , 21, were charged with aggravated sexual assault after the alleged attack on a 19-year-old woman in a unit in the early hours of 9 December. Police allege they had sexual intercourse with the woman without her consent, in circumstances of aggravation, and in the company.

Jack de Belin and friend Callan Sinclair allegedly raped woman in Wollongong. Sidelined NRL star Jack de Belin has been committed to stand trial on charges he raped a teenager five times. The 28-year-old St George Illawarra lock and another man each face five charges of aggravated sexual

New date set for Jack De Belin and Callan Sinclair rape trial © AAP Image/Dean Lewins Jack de Belin at a previous court appearance. Judge Conlon said it was important to have the trial begin as early as possible for all parties concerned.

"Both Mr Sinclair and Mr de Belin shouldn't be required to wait any longer than is absolutely necessary to get this trial on - the same for the prosecution witnesses I would have thought," he said in setting the original March date.

However, in court on Wednesday, Judge Conlon revealed he had recently been advised that Sinclair had appointed a new barrister who was able to begin the trial on February 3 - the first day of the new legal year in Wollongong.

Judge Conlon confirmed the new start date, reiterating his desire to see the case go to trial as soon as possible.

'I'm angry': John Jarratt presents his side of rape case in new book

'I'm angry': John Jarratt presents his side of rape case in new book Accused of rape in November 2017, found not guilty in July 2019, John Jarratt's nightmare is recounted in a book he hopes will save others.

The trial of suspended NRL player and accused rapist Jack de Belin has been set down for March next year. Another man, 22-year-old Callan Sinclair , faces identical charges. At a brief hearing at Wollongong District Court on Tuesday, Judge Paul Conlon set the pair's trial for March 2, 2020, with

St George Illawarra forward Jack de Belin will stand trial on sexual assault charges on the eve of the 2020 NRL season. A brief hearing in Wollongong Another man, Callan Sinclair , faces identical charges. De Belin has not played this season after being stood down in March under the NRL’s new

The new date also means the estimated two-week trial will now avoid coinciding with the start of the 2020 NRL season, which usually kicks off mid-March.

New date set for Jack De Belin and Callan Sinclair rape trial © AAP Image/Dean Lewins Callan Sinclair, right, leaves Wollongong Local Court last month. Meanwhile, de Belin and Sinclair were not required to attend court on Wednesday for the brief mention, which was a last-minute addition to the case list.

Police documents aired during previous court proceedings say the alleged victim met de Belin and Sinclair at Mr Crown nightclub on the evening of December 8 before accompanying them back to an apartment in Gipps Street where the two men allegedly raped her.

Both de Belin and Sinclair have been charged with five sexual assault offences including a charge of aggravated sexual assault in company causing actual bodily harm, which carries a potential life sentence if convicted.

The duo deny the allegations and have pleaded not guilty to the charges. Both remain on conditional bail.

Illawarra Mercury

Jack de Belin's rape trial brought forward.
The rape trial of NRL player Jack de Belin and his co-accused has been brought forward a month and will be heard in February.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks
usr: 3
This is interesting!