Australia Shark attack victim Alistair Raddon 'thought his mate had grabbed his leg'

22:21  29 october  2019
22:21  29 october  2019 Source:   abc.net.au

Shark bites off tourist's foot in Airlie Beach attack

  Shark bites off tourist's foot in Airlie Beach attack The shark bit off an English tourist's foot and left another with serious lacerations to his leg.The men were on a tour with ZigZag Whitsundays, which runs snorkelling tours in the region, when they were attacked about 10.20am today.

a person standing in front of a car: Alistair Raddon (L) and Danny Maggs (R) have been travelling around Queensland together. (Instagram)© Provided by Australian Broadcasting Corporation Alistair Raddon (L) and Danny Maggs (R) have been travelling around Queensland together. (Instagram)

After English tourist Alistair Raddon lost his foot in a north Queensland shark attack, he told one of his rescuers he initially thought it was his friend grabbing him on the leg.

His friend, Danny Maggs, 22, was also mauled by the shark, which attacked them while they were snorkelling in Hook Passage in the Whitsundays yesterday morning.

CQ Rescue Helicopter Service crewman Grant Bollington, who was in the chopper that airlifted the men to Mackay, told the ABC that Mr Raddon, 28, said they were travelling together and were playfighting in the water when the shark attacked.

Qld's shark control program questioned after two men are attacked

  Qld's shark control program questioned after two men are attacked Queensland's shark control program is again in the spotlight after a British backpacker lost a foot and another man was injured in the Whitsundays. The Opposition criticised the state government for recently dialing back its shark control program after it removed 27 shark drum lines from beaches stretching from the central to north Queensland coasts.On Monday one man lost his foot and another man suffered dour deep wounds to his right calf after they were mauled by a shark on Airlie Beach.The pair of backpackers were on a Whitsundays boat cruise and were snorkeling when the shark attacked.

"He basically said they were wrestling in the water at the time and he thought his mate grabbed him by the leg really hard, turned around and saw there was blood in the water and realised he was getting bitten by a shark," Mr Bollington said.

He said the Englishmen were in relatively good spirits while they were in the chopper.

"When we were loading the gentlemen into the chopper, it might have all been coming to the gentleman who lost his foot of what actually happened and it was obvious when we landed his spirits picked back up again."

The two friends were airlifted to Mackay Base Hospital yesterday.© ABC News The two friends were airlifted to Mackay Base Hospital yesterday.

CQ Rescue doctor Sanjeev Grewal said first aid delivered to the pair while they were travelling back to shore was crucial.

'We might have saved his life'

  'We might have saved his life' A Swedish nurse and paramedic who administered first aid to a British backpacker whose foot was bitten off by a shark say they believe they saved his life. Alistair Raddon, 28, and Danny Maggs, 22, were attacked one after the other by a shark after entering popular waters in Hook Passage near Airlie Beach yesterday morning.Mr Raddon's right foot was bitten off and the younger man's right calf was lacerated.

"There was, I think, a Belgian paramedic on the boat as a tourist and they applied first aid."

"[They] did a great job … it's of primary importance to stop the bleeding because that's what's ultimately going to kill the patient."

Last night, Mr Raddon was in a serious but stable condition after undergoing surgery, while Mr Maggs was in a stable condition.

Yesterday's shark attack occurred about 10 kilometres north of Cid Harbour, where three people were attacked by sharks late last year.

The final attack last November claimed the life of Victorian medical researcher Dr Daniel Christidis.

Too hard to install drum lines

Alistair Raddon underwent surgery at Mackay Hospital.© Instagram Alistair Raddon underwent surgery at Mackay Hospital.

Drum lines used to kill sharks have been removed from the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park since last month, when the Queensland Government lost a challenge in the Federal Court to continue its culling program in the protected area.

Responding to yesterday's attacks, Queensland Fisheries Minister Mark Furner said it would be nearly impossible to have a shark control program in the Whitsundays.

"There has never been a shark control program in operation in the Whitsundays," he said.

"The only time, last year in September, was a short trial of seven days in the Cid Harbour area following the fatality and the two attacks in that location."

British backpackers who were mauled by a shark while snorkelling in Australia ask for $250,000 to cover their medical bills - as one prepares for his leg to be amputated .
Alistair Raddon, 28, and his friend Danny Maggs, 22, were mauled during a snorkelling tour in the Whitsunday Islands last Tuesday. Mr Maggs' right calf was mangled and Mr Raddon's foot was bitten off before the screaming pair were hauled from bloody water and raced to shore.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks
usr: 3
This is interesting!