Australia 'We heard screams': Swedish pair saved shark victims with ropes, towels

09:00  30 october  2019
09:00  30 october  2019 Source:   brisbanetimes.com.au

Man, 46, killed in NSW Hunter Valley fire may have started it himself

  Man, 46, killed in NSW Hunter Valley fire may have started it himself Police have named the man killed in a house fire in the NSW Hunter Valley, as it emerged he may have started the blaze himself. The body of Stephen Wilson, 46, was found inside the house on Peppertree Circuit at Aberglasslyn after the fire on Tuesday night. His wife Michelle and their 13-year-old son escaped the inferno and were heard screaming for him to get out. She had tried to run back inside to help but was driven back by the intense heat.By the time fire crews reached Mr Wilson it was too late.One neighbour said it was "horrific".

' We saved his life': Hero paramedics who rescued British backpackers after they were mauled by a shark Off-duty paramedics Billy Luvigsson and Emma Andersson treated victims . The couple, who live together in Sweden , were getting back on the boat when they heard the ear-piercing screams .

Once ashore, the lifeguards applied towels and a tourniquet to stop the bleeding, the statement said. A version of this article appears in print on August 8, 2001, on Page B00002 of the National edition with the headline: Shark Victim 's Wife Insists Lifeguards Ignored Screams .

a person posing for the camera: Swedish medics Emma Andersson (left) and Billy Ludvigsson (right) whose first aid saved the shark attack victims' lives.© Nine News Queensland Swedish medics Emma Andersson (left) and Billy Ludvigsson (right) whose first aid saved the shark attack victims' lives.

Two Swedish medics on the same Whitsundays tour boat as the shark attack victims believe their first aid saved the life of the English backpacker whose foot was bitten off during the mauling.

The victims - Alistair Raddon, 28, and Danny Maggs, 22 - remain in Mackay Base Hospital in stable conditions. Mr Raddon lost his right foot and Mr Maggs suffered serious lacerations to his right calf.

a man standing in front of a boat next to a body of water: Shark attack victims Alistair Raddon (left) and Danny Maggs (right) pictured on Magnetic Island on Monday.© Instagram - @asvpxrvd Shark attack victims Alistair Raddon (left) and Danny Maggs (right) pictured on Magnetic Island on Monday.

Swedish medics Billy Ludvigsson and Emma Andersson used ropes and towels for tourniquets on Tuesday to wrap around the men's wounds, which were bleeding profusely.

New species found in whale shark mouth

  New species found in whale shark mouth A whale shark's mouth might not seem like the most hospitable environment for a home, but Japanese researchers have found there's no place like it for a newly-discovered shrimp-like creature. The tiny inhabitants -- dubbed podocerus jinbe -- are a variety of gammaridea, a species known for their hardy ability to live in environments ranging from high mountains to the deep sea.

WHALE SHARK RESCUE - November 7, 2012, diving aboard the Solmar V (www.solmarv.com) at Roca Partida, near Socorro Island, about 250 miles south of Baja

Shark Savers is dedicated to saving sharks and mantas through building awareness, education, and action. Founded in 2007 by divers with a shared passion, our mission is to Focusing on action and results, Shark Savers’ programs result in more protections for sharks and mantas, locally and globally.

Mr Ludvigsson works for the ambulance service and Ms Andersson works in a hospital emergency room. They live together back in Sweden and were holidaying together in the Whitsundays.

"We heard screams. We didn't understand what they were saying at first, then we heard something about sharks, but we didn't take it really seriously at first," Mr Ludvigsson said.

"But they kept on screaming, so we hurried up the ladder and saw what happened.

"It took some time until the injured person got up on the boat with the paddleboard from the staff and we immediately saw he was badly injured, that he was missing a foot.

"We had to make a makeshift tourniquet with ropes and towels to stop the bleeding.

"The bleeding was severe, life-threatening at first. But we managed to stop the bleeding pretty fast, actually, within five minutes.

Shark attack victim Alistair Raddon 'thought his mate had grabbed his leg'

  Shark attack victim Alistair Raddon 'thought his mate had grabbed his leg' Englishman Alistair Raddon lost his foot to a shark in Queensland's Whitsundays, but told his rescuers he had initially thought it was his mate grabbing him on the leg when the incident occurred.His friend, Danny Maggs, 22, was also mauled by the shark, which attacked them while they were snorkelling in Hook Passage in the Whitsundays yesterday morning.

After hearing screams , a woman notified two lifeguards that a canoe with a red hull had capsized and was floating just at the water's surface. Lifeguards Chris Anderson and George White rowed to Bruder in a lifeboat and realized he had been bitten by a shark .

Shark attack victim Sean Pollard. ABC News. Volunteer Ambulance officer Ms Rothnie and the other First Aiders began attempting to stop the blood loss with whatever they could find in their cars.They fashioned tourniquets from surfboard leg ropes and they used beach towels as bandages.

"I think we might have actually saved his life. He was bleeding so badly. It was a long boat ride back to shore. If he continued to bleed that much all of the way back, I'm not sure he would have made it."

The Swedish pair said despite being in a lot of pain, both victims were more "pissed off" by what had happened because they had planned other activities that day, which they were going to miss.

"They were absolutely amazing, they were positive and cracking jokes," Mr Ludvigsson said.

The two English victims have spoken from their beds in Mackay Base Hospital, thanking everyone who cared for them as well as their family and friends for their support.

"We would like to sincerely thank everyone involved in our care, from the people on the boat to the ambulance, CQ Rescue helicopter and Mackay Base Hospital," the joint statement said.

"Everyone dealt with our situation well and remained calm and we are very grateful for your help.

Qld's shark control program questioned after two men are attacked

  Qld's shark control program questioned after two men are attacked Queensland's shark control program is again in the spotlight after a British backpacker lost a foot and another man was injured in the Whitsundays. The Opposition criticised the state government for recently dialing back its shark control program after it removed 27 shark drum lines from beaches stretching from the central to north Queensland coasts.On Monday one man lost his foot and another man suffered dour deep wounds to his right calf after they were mauled by a shark on Airlie Beach.The pair of backpackers were on a Whitsundays boat cruise and were snorkeling when the shark attacked.

Sharks are fearsome predators, but humans are rarely on the menu. In fact, far more humans are killed or injured by dogs, bees, snakes, and a whole host of If sharks are present, however, it's even more important to travel with a buddy or a group. Sharks are less likely to approach and attack a group of

The Shark Foundation says one Great White caught was a 1,995Kg up to four-metre-long monster off Tunisia in October 2015. A blow to the shark ’s nose or a jab in its eyes could either persuade the predator to back off or surprise it enough to give victims enough time to swim to safety.

"Thanks also to friends and family back home for your messages of love and support. We are very grateful to everyone supporting us wherever you are."

The men were attacked on Tuesday morning while they snorkelled at a reef near Hook Passage, a stretch of water between Hook Island and Whitsunday Island in north Queensland.

The pair were wrestling and thrashing about in the water before they were attacked.

The shark bit one of the men before circling back for the second man, Queensland Ambulance Service operations manager Tracey Eastwick said.

The tour vessel returned to shore within 30 minutes of making the triple-zero call and arrived at Abell Point Marina in Airlie Beach, about 110 kilometres north of Mackay, to waiting paramedics.

The snorkel tour company, ZigZag Whitsundays, suspended all tours on Tuesday.

Tourism Whitsundays chief executive Tash Wheeler was not able to say how the attack might affect tourism in the region.

“Right now our priority is ensuring our industry are aware of what has occurred today so they can take the necessary precautions," she said.

'We might have saved his life'

  'We might have saved his life' A Swedish nurse and paramedic who administered first aid to a British backpacker whose foot was bitten off by a shark say they believe they saved his life. Alistair Raddon, 28, and Danny Maggs, 22, were attacked one after the other by a shark after entering popular waters in Hook Passage near Airlie Beach yesterday morning.Mr Raddon's right foot was bitten off and the younger man's right calf was lacerated.

The Shark Accident Victim Network (SAVN) is a non-for-profit, worldwide operating organization. SAVN acts as a helping hand for victims during every step on their way to recovery, looks for mentors, disseminates recommendations for liveguards, surfers, swimmers, etc.

Location Emergency Department - Rockford Emergency Department - Belvidere SwedishAmerican Immediate Care Stateline Clinic & Immediate Care Anticoagulation Clinic Belvidere Clinic BetterLife Wellness Breast Health Center Brookside Specialty Center Byron Clinic Cardiac Pulmonary

“Before anyone ever enters the water, of course [tour companies] do checks and they check around their surroundings as well.

“The company today acted so fast and were incredible in terms of the turnaround times and how they responded to this incident.”

Hours after the attack, Agriculture and Fisheries Minister Mark Furner said 32 extra drum lines had gone into state marine park waters at Cairns, Magnetic Island and Gladstone.

“This takes the number of drum lines near the boundaries of the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park from 54 to 86 – around half of what was originally permitted within the park,” he said.

More than 150 drum lines were hauled out of north Queensland waters last month, though no shark control program had ever operated in the Whitsundays, Mr Furner said.

The Whitsundays has been the site of several shark attacks in the past year.

Victorian man Daniel Christidis, 33, died in November 2018 after being attacked at Cid Harbour at Whitsunday Island during a trip with friends and colleagues.

That incident followed separate attacks within 24 hours in September - also at Cid Harbour - on Tasmanian woman Justine Barwick and Victorian 12-year-old Hannah Papps.

Earlier this year, 25-year-old Tasmanian skipper Ryan Bowring was hospitalised after being bitten on the thigh in waters at Hardy Reef, about 50 kilometres north-east of Hamilton Island.

- with AAP

British backpackers who were mauled by a shark while snorkelling in Australia ask for $250,000 to cover their medical bills - as one prepares for his leg to be amputated .
Alistair Raddon, 28, and his friend Danny Maggs, 22, were mauled during a snorkelling tour in the Whitsunday Islands last Tuesday. Mr Maggs' right calf was mangled and Mr Raddon's foot was bitten off before the screaming pair were hauled from bloody water and raced to shore.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 3
This is interesting!