Safety measures were in place at Ballarat Pipecon site where two men died in trench collapse, court told
A committal hearing begins in the case against construction company Pipecon, following a trench collapse that led to the death of two men in Ballarat last year.Charlie Howkins, 34, and Jack Brownlee, 21, were laying pipes in the Ballarat suburb of Delacombe when a sewage and drainage trench collapsed, killing Mr Howkins instantly.
The bodies of five workers killed after a wall collapsed at a metal recycling plant have been recovered from the rubble. A spokesperson for the Health and Safety Executive confirmed that its inspectors had attended the scene and would work with police.
Hazardous conditions at a Brooklyn building were reported months before a worker died. The other workers were injured. Mr. Vanegaz was killed . The complaint noted that construction workers were not wearing face masks or suits at an asbestos abatement site , and that a wall “ was not stable.”
In the year before a 59-year-old man was buried alive at the Bootu Creek mine, there were three dangerous wall collapses - or "failures" - and over a dozen safety complaints.
Despite these serious incidents, Northern Territory Worksafe inspectors never attended the site.
A three-month Freedom of Information investigation by the ABC has found there were 17 complaints made to NT Worksafe in the year leading up to the death of mine worker, Craig Butler.
However, all work done by the workplace safety watchdog to investigate and address concerns during that time was conducted "off-site".
Australia's Lynas picks Kalgoorlie for rare earth processing site
Australia's Lynas picks Kalgoorlie for rare earth processing siteIn a statement, the world's only major producer of rare earth metals outside China said it the new planned cracking and leaching plant in Western Australia forms part of a $500 million growth strategy to boost production by 2025.
Workers look at the body of a Cambodian worker killed when a section of a concrete wall fell onto him at a construction site in Bang Phli, Samut A crane operator told police that a section of concrete wall , weighing 3-4 tonnes had been raised to the second floor on Wednesday but had not yet been fixed to
Tributes have been paid to five men who were crushed to death when a huge concrete wall A sixth man managed a miraculous escape, digging his way out of the debris before alerting co- workers . It has emerged that the men, who were agency workers , had all been given the previous day off to
An email, sent between NT Worksafe and the NT Government following Mr Butler's death, revealed that the mine's owner, Singapore-based OM Manganese, said there had been three other wall collapses earlier this year in the same Tourag pit where Mr Butler was killed.
There was a wall slip on January 5, 2019 and a second incident — which was labelled a "continuance" of the initial collapse — on January 10, 2019.
A third collapse occurred on May 22, 2019.
No workers were in the area at those times, but all were classified as dangerous or a "near-miss".
Other workers managed to escape
Mr Butler died after 48,000 tonnes of soil collapsed on top of him on August 24, 2019.
An email, obtained from NT Worksafe, said Mr Butler was with two other colleagues at the time, but they had both managed to escape when a hanging wall gave way.
Worker killed by fall from roof at Port Adelaide industrial site
Workplace safety authorities are investigating the death of a 51-year-old man who fell from a roof at a Port Adelaide business.Police said the 51-year-old man from nearby Pennington fell from a roof at the Webb Street premises.
A construction worker digging a foundation in Brooklyn was killed on Wednesday when part of a wall from the The site , at Shepherd Avenue, had been excavated about 8 to 9 feet deep, stretching He said the workers started digging in the lot about a month ago. He and other family members became
FIVE men have been crushed to death under a sea of scrap metal when a wall collapsed at a scrapyard in Birmingham. Emergency teams rushed to Hawkeswood Metal in Ashton Church Road, Nechells at 8.45 am on Wednesday after the wall toppled on workers at the recycling plant.
The group had gone down into the pit to look at a potential wall slip.
Mr Butler's body was recovered nearly a fortnight later, on September 6, as the site had initially been.
Lack of inspections 'beggars belief'
Construction, Forestry, Maritime, Mining and Energy Union (CFMEU) NT organiser Kane Lowth said they had been contacted by former and current employees about safety issues at the site since Mr Butler's death.
"I'm not sure what NT Worksafe have done since the incident, but we visited the mine last Thursday and Friday and identified a number of safety noncompliance concerns," he said.
Mr Lowth said he was told by mine management during this visit that they had not physically seen a NT Worksafe inspector for over five years, prior to the death.
"That in itself beggars belief," he said.
Cholera kills over 27,000 pigs in Indonesia
More than 27,000 pigs have died in a hog-cholera epidemic that has struck Indonesia, with thousands more at risk, an animal welfare official said. Thousands of pigs have died in more than a dozen regencies across North Sumatra over the past three months, and the pace of deaths is increasing, authorities said.
Factory fires have killed hundreds of garment workers in the past decade. At the same time, many factory buildings are substandard and unsafe. On Tuesday, the day before the collapse , news began spreading about cracks in the building. A local television journalist, Nazmul Huda, said he
A wall has fallen onto an Indian wedding party during a storm, killing at The concrete wall fell on guests who were sheltering from heavy rain in a tin shack on Wednesday night “We worked through the night,” one rescue worker at the scene in Bharatpur, Rajasthan state, told India TV news network.
"This appalling current system that relies on self-reporting must stop.
"The Government takes royalties from these resource companies so they must aim up in protecting worker's well-being and safety."
A spokesperson for NT Worksafe said inspectors had attended the site in 2013, 2014 and 2015 but that all work, including reviewing internal investigation reports and following up on responses to incidents, had been done "off-site" since.
OM Manganese was, with no mining conducted that year, but work resumed on the site in February 2017.
Multiple complaints about the same incident, but no on-site inspections
An NT Worksafe spokesman would not confirm how many of the 17 complaints were followed with a full investigation.
"Not all incidents notified met the requirements set out in the Work Health and Safety (National Uniform Legislation) Act 2011…and some events resulted in multiple notifications being made for the same incident," he said.
The spokesman said he was unable to provide further details as the workplace death was still being investigated.
VET FEE-HELP unfair debt wiped under redress scheme after vocational college collapses
When Bianca Hackett's training college collapsed she was left with no diploma and thousands of dollars in debt. Finally she has some redress.She quickly found herself with an $18,000 debt and no qualifications.
The bodies of five workers killed in a scrap yard after a 15ft concrete wall collapsed have finally been recovered - after a brother of A joint West Midlands Police and Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation is under way but is expected to take many months to piece together what happened.
Council officials in Edinburgh have begun urgent safety checks in the city' s schools after a pupil was killed when a wall fell on her on Tuesday morning. The Health and Safety Executive, which had two inspectors at the school soon after the accident, is due to meet Police Scotland to discuss whether the
"If breaches are determined, the investigation will form part of the brief of evidence for a prosecution," he said.
NT Primary Industry and Resources Minister Paul Kirby fronted the media after the fatal incident with promises that "if there has been any breach of the law our Government will take the strongest possible stand that it can."
'A political issue for Government'
However, an internal email, sent by a senior executive from within Mr Kirby's department in the days following the death of Mr Butler, outlined that the department's powers were limited.
"The unfortunate thing is that the incident will be both a real and a political issue for Government," it read.
"We have regulatory authority for operational approvals on the site, however in relation to yesterday's incident on the face of it our responsibility appears limited to environmental matters."
When questioned over the email, a spokesman for the Department of Primary Industry and Resources referred the ABC's enquiries back to NT Worksafe.
"Matters relating to the safety of workers is under the jurisdiction of NT Work Safe of the Department of the Attorney General and Justice that administer the national Work Health Safety Act (WHS)," he said.
140 jobs on the line
But Mr Kirby said he was still maintaining a hands-on role in the investigation.
One dead after plane crashes in NSW
One person has died after an aircraft travelling from Wollongong to Bathurst, in NSW's Central West, crashed just before midday. The Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) said it detected a distress beacon registered to a light plane in the Kanangra National Park at Oberon, and sent a rescue helicopter from Bankstown.The crew spotted the crash site, and a paramedic was winched down to the site.The pilot of the plane, a man believed to be in his 70s, and sole occupant of the aircraft, was found dead.The Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) said fires in the area made search conditions difficult.
Two coal miners have been killed in an underground mine collapse in the New South Wales Hunter Valley. All mining has been stopped at the site , about 10km south of Cessnock. “The safety and wellbeing of all Austar coalmine employees and contractors is of primary concern and we are currently
One worker was killed and two others were seriously injured when a wall collapsed on them at a construction site in Brooklyn on Thursday, officials said. The complaint said that construction workers were not wearing face masks on an asbestos abatement site and that a wall “ was not stable.”
"At the time of the incident, I personally took the strongest possible action available to me and issued a directive to my department to instruct the mine to cease in-pit operations, which they did, and continue to do," he said.
"I remain the lead minister on this particular incident, and work closely with my Cabinet colleagues to ensure we act at the right time, while allowing our independent regulators to do their jobs."
CFMEU's Mr Lowth said the union had been in direct contact with the mine to address immediate concerns, pending the outcome of the ongoing investigations.
"There are 140 jobs on the line if management doesn't put safety first. This remains a priority for us," he said.
A spokeswoman from OM Manganese said they were continuing to work with authorities involved in the investigation.
"The safety of employees is the top priority for OMM. Safety and risk mitigation practices and procedures are in place for all operations at Bootu Creek Mine," she said.
"OMM has secured approvals for in-pit dewatering activities to assist in pit stability and safety as well as supporting continued [out of pit] processing operations. No work is being undertaken at the Tourag pit."
BHP worker killed in outback road crash, three Rio Tinto employees injured .
Police are investigating a crash on a remote Western Australian road which killed a BHP worker and injured three Rio Tinto employees.A BHP worker aged in his 30s was killed, and three Rio Tinto employees were injured on the outback road.