•   
  •   

Australia NSW man jailed for driving through bushfire roadblock

11:30  13 january  2020
11:30  13 january  2020 Source:   9news.com.au

SA man 'masqueraded as bushfire victim'

  SA man 'masqueraded as bushfire victim' Adelaide police have arrested and charged a man with posing as a victim of the Adelaide Hills bushfire, alleging he was trying to receive a benefit for himself. Pictures: Australia's bushfire emergency The 59-year-old was charged with attempted deception and traffic offences, including driving unregistered.He has been granted police bail to appear in Mt Barker Magistrates Court in February.

This page displays all bush and grass fires attended by fire services in NSW and other incidents attended by NSW RFS volunteers. You can click on any incident to see more information, and zoom in to see the latest mapped incident area. Incident maps may differ from the update time of each incident.

A man was caught in the middle of a bushfire near Kundabung in northern New South Wales on Saturday, November 5. Kevin Kwok was driving to Port Macquarie when he thought he smelt smoke coming from his car, it wasn’t until he pulled over on the Pacific Highway around 11 pm that he

A 22-year-old New South Wales electrician was sentenced to seven months jail for driving through a police roadblock to get back to his property during the state's bushfire crisis.

Bradley Davis from Nowra Hill, on the state's south coast, was on his way home from buying fuel and dinner on December 23 last year when police told him it was too dangerous to return to his Shoalhaven home.

Davis stopped his Toyota as he approached the roadblock and yelled "I have rights". He then accelerated past road block with police giving chase, the Nowra Local Court heard today.

PM considers 'comprehensive inquiry' into national bushfire crisis

  PM considers 'comprehensive inquiry' into national bushfire crisis Prime Minister Scott Morrison has canvassed the prospect of a comprehensive inquiry into Australia's ongoing bushfire crisis.The prime minister defended his government's response to the fires during a testy television interview.

The out-of-control bushfire burned just metres from people's homes in Fern Bay, Port Stephens on Saturday evening. The man opened his garage door to reveal a scene of total chaos, including the flashing lights of emergency service vehicles, fire engines and bushland engulfed with huge flames.

Bushfires in Australia impact extensive areas and cause property damage and have accounted for the deaths of 800 people in Australia since 1851.

a group of clouds in the sky over a body of water: In this photo released by NSW Rural Fire Service, a fire-generated thunderstorm is formed over the Currowan fire on the northern edge of the fire near Nowra, New South Wales.© AP In this photo released by NSW Rural Fire Service, a fire-generated thunderstorm is formed over the Currowan fire on the northern edge of the fire near Nowra, New South Wales.

Davis, who has no criminal record, got to his driveway 500m away and yelled at police before finally settling down. He was going 70km/h.

He was charged with failure to comply with police and police pursuit after he drove through a road block on the corner of Albatross Road and Braidwood Road to get home to his house on Btu Road.

The massive Currowan fire burned out of control last month, tearing across more than 227,000 hectares between Nowra and Batemans Bay.

a man wearing a hat: David Brian Sharpe was battling the Currowan fire, when his own home came under threat.© Provided by 9News.com.au David Brian Sharpe was battling the Currowan fire, when his own home came under threat.

Twenty people have been killed this bushfire season across NSW, and more than 5.2 million hectares burned.

Scott Morrison to take proposal for bushfire royal commission to Cabinet

  Scott Morrison to take proposal for bushfire royal commission to Cabinet Prime Minister Scott Morrison says he will take a proposal to Cabinet to establish a royal commission into the bushfire disaster. Prime Minister Scott Morrison says he will take a proposal to Cabinet to establish a royal commissi More than 20 people have died and more than 2,000 homes have been destroyed by fires across much of the country.Mr Morrison says there will also need to be discussion as to greater flexibility for the Federal Government to step in and assist states during times of disaster, such as through calling out the defence force.

El Zayat drove into the rear of Mr Loschiavo's car with his Commodore before Aslan approached and fired a sawn-off shotgun through the rear driver 's Aslan was jailed for two years and nine months in the County Court of Victoria on Friday after pleading guilty to intentionally causing injury and being

She described his actions as a "significant abandonment of responsibility", jailing him for causing bodily harm by misconduct and driving in a dangerous manner occasioning death. The judge said the pain of Sachin's crime extended not only to the Australian community but to India where the families of

Some 1163 homes, 144 classrooms and other facilities and 2179 sheds and other outbuildings have been destroyed since New Year's Eve.

"There is an emergency, there is a fire and that's why road blocks set up – that whole context makes your behaviour very serious," Nowra Magistrate Gabriel Fleming said.

"Not only hindering police then engaging in behaviour that diverted police resources. In the circumstances it was very serious.

a couple of people that are standing in the grass: The Currowan fire, burning between Batemans Bay and Ulladulla is out of control again and approaching Bawley Point.© Provided by 9News.com.au The Currowan fire, burning between Batemans Bay and Ulladulla is out of control again and approaching Bawley Point.

"The harm this causes and to denounce this conduct in the strongest term."

Magistrate Fleming sentenced Davis to seven months behind bars with a non-parole period of two months. He was also disqualified from driving for two years.

Davis's lawyer has appealed the sentence. He was granted bail and scheduled to appear in court next month.

Red Cross director rejects foundation is stockpiling bushfire relief donations .
Red Cross Australia NSW and ACT Director Poppy Brown says “the money that we’re raising this year will be spent on the disaster season this year”. The Red Cross was accused of drip-feeding $95 million in bushfire relief donations and saving the rest for future disasters. Ms Brown rejected the accusations and told Sky News on Thursday Red Cross Australia was “supporting people with their immediate needs” but was also “committed to a three-year recovery program”. “As we’ve always said, recovery for a bushfire is a marathon, not a sprint and we know it’s going to take communities a long time to recover,” she said.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 32
This is interesting!