•   
  •   

Australia Coronavirus: NSW Government asks children who travelled to China to not return to school

07:51  28 january  2020
07:51  28 january  2020 Source:   abc.net.au

Brisbane man being tested for coronavirus

  Brisbane man being tested for coronavirus A man is in isolation in his Brisbane home as Queensland Health authorities run tests on whether he is carrying a new strain for coronavirus.  The man was showing symptoms of the SARS-like illness and had recently returned from Wuhan in China, where the outbreak began. Authorities said there was no cause for alarm. Queensland's Chief Medical Officer Dr Jeanette Young said "we've got one gentleman that we're following at the moment who has travelled to Wuhan and has developed a respiratory illness". "He is recovering at home.

Several private schools are demanding medical certificates for children who have been to coronavirus -affected areas of China . Most NSW public school students are due to return to classes from Wednesday. On Monday a 21-year-old woman in NSW was confirmed to have the virus

Sydney schools ask students returning from China to stay away amid coronavirus fears. Domestically, school children in NSW who have been in contact with a confirmed case of coronavirus – anywhere in the world – have been told not to attend school for two weeks.

Children who have returned from China in the past two weeks will be asked to stay away from NSW schools, due to concerns over the potential spread of the novel coronavirus.© ABC News Images Children who have returned from China in the past two weeks will be asked to stay away from NSW schools, due to concerns over the potential spread of the novel coronavirus.

Children who have returned from China in the past two weeks will be asked to stay away from NSW schools, due to concerns over the potential spread of the novel coronavirus.

Students are due to return to government schools — primary schools, secondary schools, TAFE and pre-schools — for the first day of term one tomorrow.

The NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard and Education Minister Sarah Mitchell say while the risk of the virus spreading is low, they are acting as a precaution given the incubation period can be up to 14 days.

Man isolated in Brisbane by health authorities cleared of coronavirus

  Man isolated in Brisbane by health authorities cleared of coronavirus The man was put in isolation after returning from China with a respiratory condition, but has been cleared of carrying the potentially deadly disease.The man had been released from isolation on Wednesday morning, with Queensland Health saying he was no longer infectious.

The spread of a deadly new virus is accelerating, Chinese President Xi Jinping warned, after holding a special government meeting on the Lunar New Year public holiday. The country is facing a "grave situation" Mr Xi told senior officials. The coronavirus has killed at least 56 people and infected almost

China has widened its travel restrictions in Hubei province - the centre of the coronavirus outbreak - as the death toll climbed to 26. The restrictions will affect at least 20 million people across 10 cities, including the capital, Wuhan, where the virus emerged.

Parents will be asked — but not required — to keep their children home from school if they have been in China in the past two weeks.

Coronavirus has killed 106 people and infected 4,000 globally — four of Australia's five confirmed cases are in NSW.

"This is one of those really difficult times when elected officials have to weigh up all the evidence and this has not been easy," Mr Hazzard said,

"We're going to ask parents, I stress 'ask those parents', to do what every what everybody else has been doing so well in this difficult time.

"That is to support the community by holding back your children from going to each one of those facilities."

The announcement comes as concerned members of the Chinese-Australia community urged the State Government to take extra steps to prevent the spread of the virus in schools.

Education Minister rebukes schools for isolating pupils against advice

  Education Minister rebukes schools for isolating pupils against advice Some of Australia's most prestigious private schools have told parents to keep students who have recently been to China home as a precaution against coronavirus.Trinity Grammar and Newington College are among the expensive Sydney schools that have told students who have visited China not to attend for two weeks along with at least 10 Victorian schools that have put their parents on alert.

The number of people killed in China by the new coronavirus has risen to 82, with almost 3,000 In Shanghai, the government has stopped businesses from returning to work until 10 February. But after the pre- new year travel surge, the prospect of half a billion people getting back on trains, planes

Dr Chant said healthy school children who travelled to China during the holidays would not be told to stay at home when classes return . Only children who have been in close contact with someone confirmed to have coronavirus will be asked to stay at home, the state's chief health officer said.

Two online petitions asking the Government to quarantine pupils who visited China during the school holidays have gathered thousands of signatures and are being circulated on social media platform WeChat.

Some Chinese-Australian parents have labelled the Federal and NSW Government's response to the outbreak as inadequate and called for airline passengers arriving from China to be isolated for two weeks.

The petition also comes as a Sydney council announced it would be delaying Lunar New Year celebrations in light of the virus outbreak.

Some private schools in Sydney have already contacted parents saying children who have been to China would need a doctor's certificate before returning to classes.

The main petition already has more than 17,000 signatures, and calls for students to be isolated at home for two weeks prior to returning to school.

"The fact that a vast amount of Chinese residents are returning to Australia prior to school start next week is highly concerning to all the children and staff amongst all Australian schools," the blurb on the Change.org petition read.

Australians trapped in Wuhan as coronavirus death toll rises

  Australians trapped in Wuhan as coronavirus death toll rises Australians standed in the Chinese city of Wuhan are are pleading with the Australian government to help get them out.Every morning, Melbourne horse trainer Rui Severino has his temperature taken by a guard posted outside his building.

New infections in the United States were found in people traveling from Wuhan. In China the tally jumped to Three more cases of the coronavirus were reported on Sunday in the United States, two in The traveler returned to LAX on Jan. 22, wearing a mask, and approached airport staff about

China expanded restrictions on travel that will apply to tens of millions of people.Credit Kevin The authorities suspend travel from more cities, affecting millions. What is a coronavirus and how The announcement did not say when the man had returned to Hebei Province from Wuhan, but said that

Another petition which has attracted more than 2,100 signatures has singled out Hurstville Public School in south Sydney.

As well as calling for the school term to be delayed, it said the NSW Department of Education should provide face masks and hand sanitiser for teachers and students.

The petition's organiser Gemma Liu claimed at least 90 per cent of the school's students had a "strong Chinese ethnic" background.

The State Government confirmed students who had been in contact with a person confirmed as having coronavirus must not attend school or childcare for 14 days after the last contact with the infected person.

It said students who had travelled to Hubei Province, including Wuhan, during the school holidays could return to school, but that they should be monitored for symptoms.

Panic and misinformation on social media One of the petitions circulating on WeChat was shared with a message saying Australian schools weren't taking the virus seriously.

"The Chairman [Xi Jinping] has warned the Chinese that the disease would spread faster," it said.

Coronavirus: Only unwell students or those with 'close contact' to confirmed cases need to stay home, Victorian authorities say

  Coronavirus: Only unwell students or those with 'close contact' to confirmed cases need to stay home, Victorian authorities say Victorian schools are on alert for students who might have contacted coronavirus while travelling in China, and some independent schools are taking matters into their own hands.Dr Brett Sutton said schools should remain vigilant about the virus, which has killed more than 100 people, but only students who were unwell or had been in close contact with a confirmed case needed to stay home.

Australian schools are segregating Chinese students to prevent virus outbreak. Three men in NSW and one in Victoria have so far caught the deadly coronavirus . Private schools with students whose families have recently travelled to China are banning those pupils from returning to classes.Pictured

Sydney schools ask students returning from China to stay away amid coronavirus fears. Children have been in close contact with a confirmed case of the virus, should not attend school for 14 days Singapore urged citizens to avoid non-essential travel to China , and said students and staff who had

"I only have two daughters. I can't take the risk to lose them."

Ronnie Wang, from Sydney-based network Asian Women at Work, said she had been inundated with phone calls and social media posts from worried families.

"There is a lot of information on WeChat because parents are very, very concerned, especially [about] those who are contagious but not showing symptoms," she said.

Amid the virus panic, misinformation about how the disease has contaminated popular Asian foods and snacks has been shared on social media, including by Sydney childcare centres.

A post falsely claimed fortune cookies, wagyu beef, mi goreng noodles and Lipton peach iced tea had traces of the virus and that the "Bureau of Diseasology Parramatta" had found positive cases of the virus at Sydney train stations.

"There is no such entity as the 'Department of Diseasology Parramatta'," a NSW Health spokesperson said.

"And there have been no 'positive readings' at train stations."

On Monday, three private schools — The Scots College, Kambala School and Newington College — contacted parents and asked them to make sure their children had been cleared by a doctor before returning to school if they had been to China.

Scots College said it also cancelled the Chinese New Year celebrations scheduled for January 31 "as a precautionary measure".

"For public schools they are not telling students to stay home," Ms Wang said.

"Many people feel the response from the Federal and NSW Government has been too weak, and more measures are need to stop the spread of the virus."

Ms Wang said parts of the Chinese community in Sydney even want all airline passengers arriving from China isolated for a fortnight.

The fears around the virus spreading have also caused the City of Ryde to delay its Lunar New Year celebrations which were scheduled to be held on February 8.

In Melbourne, the Xin Jin Shan Chinese Language and Culture School postponed the start of the school year due to concerns about the outbreak.

Tests for suspected coronavirus patients in the US don't always work, the head of the CDC said .
Tests being used by US officials for suspected cases of coronavirus are not 100% reliable, officials said Friday. One expert said: "If a person has HIV and I try their blood, I can tell you 100% whether they have HIV. That's not even near the case with this."Robert Redfield, the CDC's director, pointed out problems with the test at a briefing on the virus, which originated in Wuhan, China, where some 200 people have died from it.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 1
This is interesting!