•   
  •   

Australia Victoria's $437m hospital cash splash as coronavirus cases surge

07:35  19 march  2020
07:35  19 march  2020 Source:   9news.com.au

Coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic phase will call for 'extreme measures', Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews says

  Coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic phase will call for 'extreme measures', Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews says Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews says it is only a matter of time before schools close across the state and large sporting and cultural events are cancelled to combat the spread of coronavirus. While the Premier said the State Government had no immediate plans to cancel football matches or the Grand Prix, he said "extreme measures" would likely need to be taken in the future, when there is a significant number of transmissions of the disease within Victoria. require(["inlineoutstreamAd", "c.

Hospitals are preparing for a likely surge in their emergency and critical wards if the coronavirus outbreak isn’t contained by social distancing and To combat the expected surge of sick patients, ideas have ranged from field hospitals (mobile army surgical hospitals , MASH), which requires the

Coronavirus counter with new cases , historical data, and info. Hospitals are setting up circus-like triage tents, calling doctors out of retirement, guarding their supplies of face masks and making plans to cancel elective surgery as they brace for an expected onslaught of coronavirus patients [source].

Daniel Andrews, Jenny Mikakos are posing for a picture: The Premier has announced extra funding for Victoria's health system in response to the virus crisis. © AAP The Premier has announced extra funding for Victoria's health system in response to the virus crisis. The Victorian Government has announced $437 million in funding will be injected into public hospitals in a bid to tackle the amounting pressure to the state's health system as coronavirus cases surge.

Another 29 people have tested positive to coronavirus in Victoria, taking the state's total to 150. The new cases include 17 men and 12 women, with people aged from their early twenties to their early seventies.

The mass funding would see 269 new beds opened, as well as new wards and unused areas at public Victorian hospitals.

Coronavirus travel ban extended amid global pandemic

  Coronavirus travel ban extended amid global pandemic The Federal Government has extended its coronavirus travel ban for travellers from Italy, South Korea, Iran and China for another week as the number of Australian cases continues to rise. The Federal Government has extended its coronavirus travel ban for travellers from Italy, South Korea, Iran and China for another week as the number of Austr The Prime Minister has asked health officials to also consider extending the ban to all travellers from Europe.

Manning the surge : Hospitals prepare for worst- case in coronavirus outbreak. Yahoo Finance. Yahoo Finance. Stock market news live: Dow erases gains since Trump' s inauguration day as coronavirus cases top 200K globally.

All hospitals would be given instructions on Monday to help them to prepare, he said. Britain has so far had fewer confirmed cases of coronavirus than other countries in Europe such as Italy, Spain and France but the death toll almost doubled to 21 on Saturday.

"It means extra beds open, more equipment, there will be additional gloves, masks and gowns and there will be a number of spaces that will be opened for the first time or reopened after not being a part of our public hospital system for a long time," Premier Daniel Andrews said.

"This is a massive boost to our public hospital system and its exactly what's needed."

According to a statement from the Department of Health, the majority of the 150 cases have been identified in and around metropolitan Melbourne, with five in regional Victoria.

The regional Victorian cases have occurred in Greater Geelong (three cases), Latrobe Valley and Ballarat.

Victorian Health Minister Jenny Mikakos confirmed 84 beds would be brought in to the old Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, as well as 45 beds at Bendigo Hospital, on top of the 149 beds already announced at Casey Hospital.

Five new WA cases of COVID-19 confirmed, bringing total to 14

  Five new WA cases of COVID-19 confirmed, bringing total to 14 WA's chief health officer Andrew Robertson confirms five new cases of coronavirus overnight, bringing the state's total to 14, which includes one death from the virus. WA chief health officer Andrew Robertson told ABC Radio Perth health authorities were conducting between 800 and 1,000 tests a day, from both GPs and COVID-19 fever clinics, which opened earlier this week.Last night five more people tested positive."The numbers are actually very small that we are getting from those tests, and the ones that we do have information of have primarily come from overseas," Dr Robertson said.More to come.

There won't be enough hospital beds, medical staff or equipment to handle the coronavirus outbreak if continues at its current pace, officials say. Michael Dowling, president and CEO of the Northwell Health, was picked by New York' s governor to lead a hospital surge team.

The total number of confirmed coronavirus cases in the Indian subcontinent rose overnight to 482 as authorities across the region imposed travel restrictions to block the fast-spreading “Only those with intense symptoms should go to hospital .” “There is no need to worry. We will fight this as a nation.

Former private hospital Baxter House in Geelong will also be opened as a COVID-19 clinic.

"This will pay for the staff and the other resources that we need to anticipate an additional 45,000 emergency department presentations, 5000 additional hospital admissions and 2,000 additional admissions to intensive care units for a three-month period," she said.

"We know that we will see a significant increase in demand to our public health system."

Jenny Mikakos wearing a red shirt and glasses: Victorian Health Minister Jenny Mikakos addresses the media at the Victorian State Parliament. © AAP Victorian Health Minister Jenny Mikakos addresses the media at the Victorian State Parliament. It comes as a second Melbourne primary school has closed after a teacher was confirmed to have COVD-19.

Middle Park Primary School will be closed for 24 hours while the staff member's movements are traced.

Toorak Primary School closed earlier this week when a teacher tested positive to the virus.

Another case has been identified in a staff member at the University of Melbourne in Carlton.

Morrison considers second cash splash in a bid to save the economy

  Morrison considers second cash splash in a bid to save the economy Prime Minister Scott Morrison is currently locked in meetings with Josh Frydenberg and Mathias Cormann as he seeks to finalise details on a second round of coronavirus stimulus. It comes just four days following the announcement of the government’s $17.6 billion stimulus package, which the Coalition had hoped would stem a recession. Sky News Political Editor Andrew Clennell said it was likely the next round of stimulus would come before the May budget. “Scott Morrison is going to spend the next two days … meeting key ministers in areas affected,” he said.

admitted to the same hospital .[ 437 ][438] A 32-year-old man from Rottweil, Baden-Württemberg who had visited Codogno with his family on 23 February tested positive and was admitted to a hospital for isolation.[439] On 27 ^ "Italy suspends all China flights as coronavirus cases confirmed in Rome".

An interactive map shows how overloaded hospitals in the US could get as coronavirus cases The phrase refers to efforts to keep people apart to slow the US' surge in coronavirus cases so that the A new interactive map lets users explore what an influx of coronavirus patients would look like in

A staggering 275 million pairs of gloves, 8.6 million face masks and 1.7 million gowns will be purchased as part of the state government's hospital funding package.

Ms Mikakos said retired doctors and medical students would also be called upon to help during the influx of hospital presentations.

"At this point in time we only have six patients who are admitted to a public hospital from COVID-19 but we do expect that number will increase over time," she said.

Full coverage: Read more on coronavirus from Microsoft News
Donate: Support UNICEF's coronavirus response effort through Benevity
More info: Read the latest advice on COVID-19 from the Australian Government
COVID-19 tracker: Interactive map and stats tracking the coronavirus worldwide

Man eaten by crocodile after defying coronavirus lockdown .
A man in Rwanda that ignored a national lockdown due to the coronavirus pandemic has been reportedly eaten by a crocodile.Since Sunday, Rwanda and its 12 million people have been under direction from the government to remain at home to contain the spread of COVID-19.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks
usr: 2
This is interesting!