•   
  •   

Australia 'Jeff's Shed' earmarked for giant COVID-19 hospital and morgue

22:20  26 march  2020
22:20  26 march  2020 Source:   smh.com.au

Coronavirus fatalities rise in Australia after 81yo woman dies in Sydney

  Coronavirus fatalities rise in Australia after 81yo woman dies in Sydney Coronavirus fatalities rise in Australia after 81yo woman dies in SydneyShe had close contact with another confirmed case of COVID-19 at Ryde Hospital.

The Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre could become a massive makeshift intensive care hospital, treating hundreds of seriously ill coronavirus patients under a plan being considered by the state government.

Government and industry sources with knowledge of the plans told The Age that preparations were also underway to use part of the riverside landmark as a temporary morgue to store what is feared could be a large number of bodies of victims of the pandemic.

Victoria's government is bracing for up to 2000 intensive care admissions at the peak of the pandemic here, expected in late May or early June. The state only had about 475 ICU beds before the crisis developed, compared with about 875 in NSW.

Ruby Princess passenger dies after coronavirus diagnosis

  Ruby Princess passenger dies after coronavirus diagnosis A female passenger aboard the Ruby Princess cruise ship has died with COVID-19, bringing the national death toll to eight. The woman in her 70s was transported directly to hospital from the Ruby Princess which docked in Sydney on March 19. She passed away in RPA Hospital on Tuesday morning. "This patient was one of the initial three passengers who were confirmed to be COVID-19 positive following testing of retained specimens from on-board the Ruby Princess," NSW Health said.She is the seventh person in NSW and the eighth person nationally to die with coronavirus.

Pictures: Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak in Australia

The conversion of the Convention Centre, known to locals as Jeff's Shed after former premier Jeff Kennett, would follow the lead of other cities including New York and London, which have re-tooled similar structures to treat large numbers of coronavirus patients.

The vast ExCel centre in London's Docklands is expected to be ready to take the first of up to 500 patients within days.

During the Spanish flu epidemic in 1919, 35 temporary hospitals were set up around Victoria including the Melbourne Exhibition Buildings, which treated about 1500 patients at a time.

The escalating coronavirus pandemic is also expected to overwhelm the state's morgue capacity which could not cope with the numbers of bodies from the 2009 Black Saturday bushfires. Temporary refrigerated storage had to be set up in the car park of the Victorian Institute of Forensic Medicine during that crisis.

Premier Daniel Andrews and Health Minister Jenny Mikakos have been frank about the need for more capacity to treat the large numbers of critically ill people expected in the present pandemic and have re-opened wards at the old Peter McCallum hospital in East Melbourne and fast-tracked new beds at Casey Hospital.

As the crisis deepened on Thursday with the state's first three COVID-19 deaths confirmed, amid 520 cases of illness, Ms Mikakos confirmed that care capacity in "non-hospital settings" was in the planning stages but would not say which buildings were being considered.

Westmead Hospital radiation therapists positive for COVID-19

  Westmead Hospital radiation therapists positive for COVID-19 The positive tests have resulted in two cancer patients and roughly 20 radiation oncology staff going into quarantine. Two radiation therapists at Westmead Hospital have been diagnosed with COVID-19, sending two cancer patients and roughly 20 radiation oncology staff into quarantine. The two staff members at the Crown Princess Mary Cancer Centre tested positive for coronavirus last week. The therapists operate the equipment that delivers doses of radiation to cancer patients.They are among 2182 confirmed coronavirus cases in NSW, and more than 5000 nationally.

"We are looking at both hospital settings and non-hospital settings for additional bed capacity we may require," Ms Mikakos said.

"I'm not in a position to make announcements about that today but we're definitely looking at other opportunities to expand that capacity further."

The management of the Convention Centre would not comment and referred questions back to the Department of Health Human Services.

The state government refused to confirm whether the convention centre would be used as a temporary hospital.

"The department is undertaking a range of contingency planning looking at health and possible non-health settings that could be used to create extra capacity if needed," a government spokeswoman said on Thursday.

The venue shut its doors to the public on March 16 in the wake of the Victorian government's state of emergency declarations which banned indoor gatherings of more than 100 people.

The 70,000 square metre centre, which dominates the South Bank of the Yarra at the western edge of Melbourne's CBD was built in 1995 and earned its nickname for the complex's distinctive appearance and for Mr Kennett's decision to abandon plans for a museum on the site and build a convention centre instead.

Full coverage: Read more on coronavirus from Microsoft News
Explainers: Health, life and work in the time of COVID-19
Donate: Support UNICEF's coronavirus response effort through Benevity
More info: Read the latest advice on COVID-19 from the Australian Government

SA woman arrested over face mask theft .
A South Australian woman will appear in court after allegedly stealing 100 face masks from a hospital. The woman went to the Port Pirie Hospital on Tuesday where police say she took the face masks which had been provided to the public on a one-for-one basis.The 46-year-old was arrested on Thursday and charged with aggravated theft.She has been bailed to appear in Port Pirie Magistrates Court at a later date.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks
usr: 1
This is interesting!