•   
  •   

Australia Passengers in turmoil as Sydney Airport slashes overseas arrivals

05:40  05 july  2020
05:40  05 july  2020 Source:   9news.com.au

Coronavirus cripples ACT transport industries but tourism sector hopeful of domestic travel boom

  Coronavirus cripples ACT transport industries but tourism sector hopeful of domestic travel boom Flight bans have crippled the transport industry. The ACT region's tourism sector is now banking on "big-travelling" Canberrans hitting the road.Most interstate bus services have been shut down for months while the Canberra Airport is operating at about 3 per cent of its flight capacity.

International travellers flying into Sydney are being warned their flights may be cancelled after strict caps were introduced by the NSW Government.

a passenger bus that is parked on the side of a building: Sydney International Airport was even quieter than usual this morning. The airport is currently operating at just one per cent of pre-pandemic levels. © 9News Sydney International Airport was even quieter than usual this morning. The airport is currently operating at just one per cent of pre-pandemic levels.

Sydney International Airport was eerily quiet this morning, after the airport introduced a cap of just 450 passengers allowed in each day.

Traffic at the country's busiest international airport is now at just one per cent of pre-pandemic levels, when daily inbound and outbound passengers averaged more than 45,000 a day.

Passengers should have stayed on Ruby Princess, inquiry told

  Passengers should have stayed on Ruby Princess, inquiry told A senior NSW public health official has accepted it would have been a better decision to wait for test results before letting passengers off the Ruby Princess.Doctor Christine Selvey, acting director of communicable diseases with NSW Health, gave evidence at the Special Commission of Inquiry into the Ruby Princess on Monday. She accepted that "with hindsight" the passengers should have stayed on the ship until the test results were obtained.

The two-week cap also limits individual flights to a maximum of 50 people.

The move comes as a fresh blow for the aviation sector, which is buckling under the strain of four months of international and domestic travel bans and stay-at-home orders, prompting Virgin Australia to enter voluntary administration and Qantas to sack thousands of staff.

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade introduced the new caps as Sydney struggles to cope with an influx in its hotel quarantine system.

a group of people standing in front of a building: Returning overseas travellers continues to be a huge operation, with the involvement of NSW Health workers and the military stationed at the airport. © Rhett Wyman Returning overseas travellers continues to be a huge operation, with the involvement of NSW Health workers and the military stationed at the airport.

The decision has prompted some backlash from would-be travellers on social media, some labelling the move "absurd" while others scrambled to find out whether their incoming flights were still operating.

UK will ditch travel quarantine for 75 countries, Daily Telegraph says

  UK will ditch travel quarantine for 75 countries, Daily Telegraph says UK will ditch travel quarantine for 75 countries, Daily Telegraph saysThe newspaper said the UK would shortly lift a ban on non-essential travel to nearly all EU destinations, the British territories including Bermuda and Gibraltar, and Turkey, Thailand, Australia and New Zealand.

Others called on the federal government to step in to distribute the load on hotel quarantine more evenly around Australia, which is now falling disproportionally on NSW.

The state has seen 32,036 travellers enter quarantine to date, with more than 5,000 people still in mandatory detention in 22 hotels around Sydney on Friday.

Victoria stopped accepted any international arrivals last week for an initial two-week period as the state grapples with a surge in coronavirus infections, which has largely been attributed to breaches in hotel quarantine.

Queensland has begun charging travellers for their own mandatory quarantine, prompting some arrivals to choose instead to head to NSW for their quarantine before returning home, according to NSW Health.

Pictures: Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak in Australia

SA's rules for Victoria's essential travellers – work or quarantine .
South Australians have been warned to expect the border to Victoria to remain closed "indefinitely", even as the state readies to welcome other Australians. From midnight tomorrow, returning South Australian residents and essential travellers will be the only people allowed to cross over from Victoria.But essential travellers will be forced to quarantine when not working, wear face masks in public, and keep records of their movements. © 9News South Australia's will be closed to Victoria from midnight tomorrow.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks
usr: 2
This is interesting!