Australia Mystery surrounds how autistic teenager William Wall was found dead
Fewer virus cases keep Melbourne on track
Victoria's daily infection rate is on track towards the planned easing of coronavirus restrictions come September 28, with more anti-lockdown protests expected.The state recorded 21 new cases in the 24 hours to Saturday morning, its lowest figure since June 24.
Mystery surrounds the death of a 14-year-old autistic boy whose body was found just over a kilometre from his family home 32 hours after he disappeared for a morning jog.
William Wall promised his family he would be back in 15 minutes when he embarked on his daily run along the Yarra Ranges' Warburton Trail, east of Melbourne, at about 6.45am on Tuesday.
Volunteers searching for missing autistic teen are told to stay home
William Wall, 14, was last seen heading out for his daily jog along the Yarra Ranges' Warburton Trail at 6.45am on Tuesday, promising his family he would be back in 15 minutes. But he never returned to his home in Launching Place. William's distraught father Shane issued an emotional plea as police and State Emergency Service volunteers beagn scouring bushland and difficult terrain from the air and on the ground. © Provided by Daily Mail MailOnline logo 'I just want him home, as simple as that,' he told Nine News as he fought back tears.'Just get home. That's all I want and be well.
The teenager, who had high-functioning autism, failed to return to his home in Launching Place. He was not carrying his mobile phone.
William's disappearance sparked a desperate ground and air search involving about 100 personnel from Victoria Police and the SES.
Authorities revealed his body had been found in nearby Yarra Junction on Wednesday afternoon.
'We can confirm the sad news that 14-year-old William Wall has been located deceased in Yarra Junction,' Victoria Police said.
'We would like to thank the media and all those involved in the search.'
Victoria Police said William's death was not being treated as suspicious.
Police did not divulge further and it is still not known how William spent his final moments.
Kirsten Dunst and fiance Jesse Plemons take a stroll with their son
Kirsten Dunst and Jesse Plemons first met on the set of their critically acclaimed FX anthology series Fargo in 2015. And the happily engaged pair looked like they were in domestic bliss while spotted taking a stroll through their LA neighborhood with their two-year-old son Ennis on Tuesday.Kirsten rocked a bright red sweatshirt with Jesse's home state of Texas printed on the front of it.
It's understood William's body was found in bushland at the end of a residential street just over a kilometre from his home.
Temperatures plunged to 7C overnight before the search resumed on Wednesday.
William's family gathered at the blocked off road near where his body was found.
Distraught rescuers and locals were seen consoling each other at the scene.
Family friend Tyson Truscott said the Walls would be shattered by the tragedy.
'He was a great kid. There is nothing bad about him. He loved going for runs, he went flat out,' he told the
William's two older brothers and friends spent Tuesday night looking for the teenager with rescuers but were stopped on Wednesday amid Melbourne's Stage Four coronavirus lockdown.
'We've been told by all the police, saying we're not allowed to help because we're beyond the 5km radius, which is going to put more of a delay in finding him,' his older brother Harrison told.
AFL footballers' families given 'inappropriate' exemptions to enter SA despite coronavirus restrictions
South Australian health authorities apologise for a decision to grant travel exemptions to Victorian family members of AFL players, saying the decision was an "absolute mistake".Professor Nicola Spurrier said the six individuals were among a total of 11 relative of Power players who had been granted exemptions by SA Health to travel into the state.
Family friend Flynn Cousens added: 'I'd rather go outside the five kilometre radius and find him than stick to five kilometres and let him stay out there another night.'
Prime Minister Scott Morrison described William's death as 'very sad news'.
'My heart goes out to William's family and loved ones. Thank you to all those who were involved in the search,' he tweeted on Wednesday night.
Federal health minister Greg Hunt added: 'So deeply sorry to hear of the loss of William Wall.'
'Just a terrible, terrible loss of a beautiful young life.
'My thoughts and prayers are with his family, his friends and the Yarra Ranges community.'
Locals were furious they were advised to follow lockdown restrictions while trying to keep an eye out for William.
'The buck stops with me': Victoria Health Minister resigns
Jenny Mikakos says she will step aside from her duties as minister and will also resign from the Parliament in the wake of the hotel quarantine inquiry.There had been mounting calls for her to step aside after her appearance at an inquiry into the program.
In Melbourne, residents are not allowed to travel further than five kilometres from their homes and outdoor time is limited to two hours a day.
'In line with coronavirus restrictions, at this stage we do not require any assistance from the public,' a post on the Eyewatch Yarra Ranges Police Facebook read on Tuesday night.
'We want to say a big thank you however, for the all the offers we have received.'
Police claimed their guidance for the search had nothing to do with coronavirus lockdown.
'This is not to do with COVID,' local police commander Inspector Jason Goddard told reporters.
'We don't want to bring this into a COVID conversation. What we are doing is focusing our search on Will.
'If the resourcing we have on the ground here and deployed today is not adequate we will ask for more resources.'
But locals didn't buy the claim and instead vented their anger at police during a tense meeting.
'If that my kid out there, I would want every person on the ground out there, just having a look,' one resident said.
Melbourne awaits easing of restrictions
While the dust has barely settled on the blame game inside the government over hotel quarantine, Melburnians are looking ahead to the easing of restrictions.Coronavirus: Aged care watchdog investigating Melbourne party
William's distraught father Shane struggled to fight back tears as he thanked volunteers, police, the SES and family members who had been searching on Tuesday night.
'I just want everyone to be safe,' he told reporters on Wednesday afternoon, hours before police confirmed his son had been found dead.
'I never want to be in this situation but the people around here are fantastic. I mean, I've been in the valley for a long time and come from overseas but this has just blown me away.
'Actual support from local people, the Facebook community and the noticeboards and that, fantastic. Top notch and the police and SES, again, it has been great.
'I have hardly spoken to my wife much but they are liaising with them to look after her and I'm out helping where I can.'
At the time, he was still hopeful William would be found alive.
Mr Wall added his son was 'pretty hardcore' and knew the area well.
The 'energetic, very athletic' teenager loved exercise and had dreams of joining the police force or the army when he got older.
Crews involved in William's search had concentrated on the Warburton Rail Trail and the O'Shannassy Aqueduct Trail - about 16km from the family's home - after police received a reported sighting of an 'upset male' in the area on Tuesday.
William's disappearance comes three months after non-verbal autistic teen William Callaghan became separated from his family during a walk at Mount Disappointment, 60km north of Melbourne.
The teen spent two nights alone before being miraculously found safe and well.
Buckingham Palace braces for more revelations in new tell-all book .
Battle of Brothers: William, Harry and the Inside Story of a Family in Tumult is written by British historian Robert Lacey, whose previous works have included a biography of the Queen.The infamous summit, attended by the Queen, Prince Harry, Prince William, and Prince Charles took place in January and saw the royals bash out the details of Megxit.