Australia A Defence chopper sparked Canberra's Namadgi bushfire, but its crew didn't tell authorities the location for 45 minutes

07:15  30 november  2020
07:15  30 november  2020 Source:   abc.net.au

Your 4-Year-Old Will Love These 28 Toys and Gifts

  Your 4-Year-Old Will Love These 28 Toys and Gifts When your 4-year-old boy has it all, it can seem almost impossible to think of another toy idea. The holidays are here, and we know gift shopping can get stressful — especially for your kids. Whether you want an educational toy that will expand his cognitive skills or a fun, outdoor activity, there are all sorts of toys to choose from in 2020. These picks will help your child discover interests and challenge themselves. It's the best of both— Additional reporting by Macy Cate Williams

A fire started by a defence helicopter south of Canberra is still burning out of control, but those flocking to photograph the Residents were told to shelter but, by 10:00pm, the danger had subsided as conditions eased. Fire crews at Tharwa preparing for another day fighting the Namadgi bushfire .

an out-of-control bushfire burning in the mountainous Namadgi National Park, south of Canberra , has almost The fire was behaving erratically and had created its own weather system. Authorities said the fires that could be seen were spot fires , rather than the main fire front. Properties were under threat in Tharwa, 10 minutes south of Canberra ’ s southernmost suburb, where fire crews

a group of people walking through a cloudy sky: The Orroral Valley bushfire eventually burned 80 per cent of Namadgi National Park. (Supplied: Ben Kopilow) © Provided by ABC NEWS The Orroral Valley bushfire eventually burned 80 per cent of Namadgi National Park. (Supplied: Ben Kopilow)

The crew of an Australian Army helicopter that sparked a massive bushfire in Namadgi National Park did not pass on crucial details about the fire's location to authorities for 45 minutes, costing emergency services precious time as they raced to extinguish the fire before it ravaged the ACT's south.

The fire was started by the helicopter's landing light in late January, as the Army crew set down for a break in the remote Orroral Valley.

When the blaze threatened to consume the aircraft, the crew took to the skies — only to watch as their helicopter downdraught fanned the flames into what would become a formidable firestorm.

Astronaut Soichi Noguchi has now flown on 3 different spaceships. SpaceX's Crew Dragon is 'the best,' he said.

  Astronaut Soichi Noguchi has now flown on 3 different spaceships. SpaceX's Crew Dragon is 'the best,' he said. SpaceX launched its first long-term astronaut mission for NASA on Sunday, blasting a crew of four into orbit. Soichi Noguchi, one of those astronauts, said Crew Dragon is "the best" spacecraft he's ever flown.The 55-year-old Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency astronaut will have spent more than a year of his life in orbit by the time he and the three other SpaceX Crew-1 mission astronauts return to Earth in the spring. Noguchi has travelled to space three times: First on the US Space Shuttle in 2005, then the Russian Soyuz spaceship in 2009, and most recently on SpaceX's Crew Dragon. He's just the third person in history to have flown in three spacecraft.

Tortured, malnourished children and corpses in the tens of thousands have been found in a sophisticated network of Deep Underground Military Bases (DUMBS) that ran beneath the US, Canada, Mexico, Australia, Asia and across Europe. For over a year US Special Forces had been in training for

Canberra residents in the far southern suburbs were told to activate their bushfire survival plans, with an evacuation centre set up at Erindale College. Earlier, Caloola Farm manager Ralph Hurst-Meyers was desperately trying to convince three men still on the farm near the blaze to leave as they planned

But internal Defence reports on the incident, released to the ABC under Freedom of Information laws, show the helicopter's pilot did not radio the coordinates in the time it took to return to Fairbairn air base at Canberra Airport.

That lack of information sowed confusion as ACT fire crews were dispatched to different parts of the park in a desperate scramble to locate and extinguish the blaze.

In the coming hours and days, the Orroral Valley fire grew into an inferno that ripped through the ACT national park — and then across the border in NSW, where it destroyed homes.

The fire burnt 80 per cent of Namadgi National Park, causing an environmental disaster.

The ACT Emergency Services Agency (ESA) has said the Australian Defence Force's response was appropriate.

J.Crew promotes the head of Madewell to take over the company, as its CEO exits after just one 'brutal' year leading the struggling clothing company

  J.Crew promotes the head of Madewell to take over the company, as its CEO exits after just one 'brutal' year leading the struggling clothing company J. Crew promoted Madewell head Libby Wadle as its new CEO, the company announced Tuesday. Wadle will replace Jan Singer, who took over in January after the struggling private-equity-backed retailer went more than a year without a leader while trying to revive its brand. "The continued executive turnover at J.Crew adds to the turbulence of an already brutal year for the retailer," Moody's analyst Raya Sokolyanska told Business Insider. The pandemic has added challenges for J.Crew, which recently emerged from bankruptcy. Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories. J.

A vehicle makes its way through thick fog mixed with bushfire smoke in the Ruined Castle area of the Blue Mountains on January 11. A fire in nearby Mallacoota also has authorities worried. Crisp said the blaze began Sunday afternoon, and as winds changed direction it quickly shifted directions and

An out-of-control bushfire is threatening homes and lives in Canberra with locals being told to take shelter as it ' s too late to leave. Emergency-level fire in Namadgi National Park is heading towards village of Tharwa, just south of the capital. The blaze is threatening properties in Tharwa as well as

But former ACT emergency services commissioner Peter Dunn said the 45-minute delay robbed ACT emergency services of the crucial first hour to stop the fire from growing beyond control.

"That sort of information needs to be channelled into the emergency response system far more quickly than that," he said.

"If we do not get resources onto ignition points within about one hour after ignition then … frequently we will have fires that cannot be contained."

The Defence reports show the Army was primarily worried about the safety of its helicopter crew, but also about the "reputational impact" of the incident on the Australian Defence Force (ADF).

Damaged helicopter did not relay fire location

The ADF's MRH-90 Taipan helicopter had been called in to help emergency services defend the capital as part of Operation Bushfire Assist.

On January 27, the helicopter was on a reconnaissance mission to identify landing zones that could be used to insert and extract remote area firefighting teams.

Summer bushfire outlook warns WA could be worst hit as lack of rainfall leaves dry conditions

  Summer bushfire outlook warns WA could be worst hit as lack of rainfall leaves dry conditions A prolonged dry spell in south-west parts of WA that is set to continue in coming months has left the state at risk of becoming the worst affected by bushfires this summer, according to scientists.Areas including the Swan Coastal Plain, Jarrah Forest, Avon Wheatbelt, Warren, Mallee and the Esperance Plains have been identified for greater bushfire potential, based on the weather, fuel loads, recent fire history and available firefighting resources in the area.

RFS crews are on the scene on Whitehaven Road in Northmead, in Sydney' s west, where the fire is Bureau of Meteorology duty forecaster Rose Barr told Daily Mail Australia the relief would be limited to the east Tourists are currently unable to arrive on the island as the bushfire enters its seventh week.

There are currently 350 fire crew already on the island are expected to be joined by another 170 firefighters on Saturday. A wild bushfire formed a fire whirl on the island, with firefighters calling one of the blazes 'virtually unstoppable,' with nearly the entire island under threat from the flames.

According to the internal Defence reports, at 1:30pm, the Taipan put down so the crew could "disembark for a short break".

Smoke and visibility issues meant the landing light was switched on, but "the heat from the aircraft's landing light caused the dry grass which the aircraft came in contact with to ignite".

"Within 3-5 seconds of touch down a fire was ignited underneath the aircraft, which was fanned by the rotor wash," Defence documents said.

"Due to the rotor wash and dry conditions, the fire at the [helicopter landing zone] grew rapidly, which was photographed by the crew during take-off."

But a Defence reporting timeline shows the crew — despite twice calling in a PAN-PAN emergency due to damage to the helicopter — did not pass on location data to emergency services until after the chopper conducted an emergency landing at Canberra Airport about 2:15pm — a full 45 minutes after it had accidentally ignited the blaze.

A Defence response to questions from the ABC said the crew's primary concern was for their own safety.

"At the time of the ignition, the Australian Defence Force MRH-90 Callsign ANGEL 21 was damaged and in an emergency situation," a Defence spokesperson said.

How to stop Google from tracking you on any device

  How to stop Google from tracking you on any device You can stop Google from tracking some aspects of your online activity by changing your Google Account settings. Google tracks many details about you whenever you use your Google account on your computer, laptop, tablet, and phone. Here's how to stop Google from tracking your web activity, location, YouTube history, and more. Visit Business Insider's Tech Reference library for more stories . Google has worked its way into virtually every aspect of your life, and the search giant's network of interrelated apps and services capture, share, and rely on a great deal of personal information about you.

"The aircrew's priority was to return the aircrew and aircraft to safety.

"The aircrew passed the location of the fire to [the] ACT Emergency Services Agency immediately after effecting an emergency landing at Canberra Airport."

What was not explained is why the aircrew flew a potentially compromised aircraft all the way to Canberra Airport — a distance of some 40 kilometres — instead of diverting to a safe landing site in the Orroral Valley, or the nearby ESA aerial firefighting base outside Tharwa.

Lack of information led to confusion on ground

Meanwhile, the fire was growing.

ACT ESA radio traffic logs show "white smoke" was spotted by the Mount Tennent fire tower, in Canberra's south, at 1:49pm — 19 minutes after ignition.

As the minutes ticked by, fire authorities desperately hunted for the source of the smoke.

Crews were incorrectly dispatched to Booroomba Rocks, Bulls Head (Mount Franklin Road) and Honeysuckle Valley (Apollo Road) in pursuit of the blaze.

"We're having conflicting reports about the location, can I get you to turn up Apollo Road, we have indications it might be in the Honeysuckle area," radio traffic from emergency services said at 2:08pm.

About the same time, Orroral Valley was identified as a possible location of the fire and, at 2:18pm, spotter aircraft confirmed the position and called in waterbombers.

Bushfire embers can endanger suburban Perth homes, warn fire authorities

  Bushfire embers can endanger suburban Perth homes, warn fire authorities When a bushfire ignited in Perth's southern suburbs last summer, it quickly turned into an emergency, crossing a freeway and threatening homes in the middle of suburbia. Fire authorities say it was a reminder that everyone needs to prepare.But last summer a bushfire ignited in a small patch of bushland not far from his home, which quickly escalated into an emergency warning — a possibility fire authorities say could happen to anyone.

It had taken ACT emergency crews 29 minutes to confirm the precise source of the smoke — 48 minutes after ignition, and around the same time the Australian Army was passing over the same information from the crew that had started the fire.

At 2:24pm, a RFS ground crew said it would not approach the fire due to the size, saying "I don't think there's much we can do … at this current point."

The fire was reported as spotting ahead of itself soon after.

About one hour after ignition, at 2:32pm, Tennant Tower radioed that the fire had almost "doubled in size and is now giving off a mushroom-shaped cloud".

At 2:35pm, aerial spotters called in that the fire was "crowning up the side of the hill and doing a very big run".

Defence was concerned about 'reputational impact'

It was not the first time Defence had sparked a major bushfire.

The 2013 State Mine fire, which burnt out 56,000 hectares of bush near Lithgow, NSW was sparked by live-firing exercises at the Marangaroo Training Centre on a high fire danger day.

A fire that roared through World Heritage rainforest in the Gold Coast hinterland in 2019 was also suspected to have started at Kokoda Barracks near Canungra.

The Defence documents show that damage control was a factor in its response to the Orroral Valley Fire.

The documents state that, minutes after landing, a "blackout message" was sent to "advise no external comms regarding work activities".

At 3:30pm, little more than an hour after the chopper had landed at Canberra Airport, Defence public affairs was directed to start developing a holding statement and talking points.

The meme tweets of China

  The meme tweets of China Good morning, early birds. Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying last night knocked back calls for China to apologise over a controversial tweet, and South Australia lifted a series of COVID-19 measures overnight. It's the news you need to know, with Chris Woods.While Scott Morrison called for an apology over the “repugnant”, falsified image of an Australian soldier holding a knife to the throat of an Afghan child, the ABC reports that Hua instead called for Australia to apologise to the people of Afghanistan.

The talking points had been fact checked and approved for release by 5:19pm and Defence Minister Linda Reynolds' office was informed at 6:55pm.

At 8:30am the next day, Chief of Joint Operations Lieutenant General Greg Bilton briefed Prime Minister Scott Morrison on the incident, but it was not until 1:30pm that Defence confirmed to Chief Minister Andrew Barr and ESA Commissioner Georgeina Whelan that the chopper's landing light had started the bushfire.

The Defence documents said that crew safety was the priority in reporting timelines, and "ACT ESA were informed of the location of the fire as soon as practicable".

"The exact location of the fire was provided to the ACT ESA immediately on arrival of the aircraft at Canberra Airport," a ministerial brief said.

A ministerial brief composed after the fire seemed to indicate some information was kept from the Minister, in a bid to protect the ADF's image.

"The initial focus of action was on the safety of ADF and ACT PCS personnel remaining in Orroral Valley, the status of the fire, its impact for local communities and potential ADF involvement in the incident," it said.

"Subsequent technical inspection of the MRH-90 indicated damage to the airframe was significant.

"The details of damage were reported through technical channels but were absent from advice to [the Defence Minister's office].

"This absence appears to be a result of aircrew and unit focus on the safety of personnel still in active fire field and reputational impact to the ADF."

'It needs to be quicker'

There are legitimate questions about whether the fire could have been stopped — if those who caused it had passed on the location sooner.

An ESA spokesperson said environmental factors — including weather, topography, and dryness — drove the fire's spread.

"The ACT Emergency Services Agency is satisfied that the Australian Defence Force (ADF) followed safety protocol in relation to reporting of the incident and that the information flow was consistent between ACT ESA and ADF," the spokesperson said.

"Smoke was sighted from the Mt Tennent Tower and the location was confirmed by cross bearings from other fire towers in the ACT.

"The community should be reassured that the ACT ESA did all that they could to reduce the spread of the Orroral Valley Fire as quickly as possible [and] our crews worked extremely hard to ensure no lives or homes were lost."

While Defence maintains the ESA was promptly informed of the fire, former emergency services commissioner Mr Dunn said the actual timeframe was not quick enough.

Mr Dunn, a retired major general who was tasked with reforming emergency services in the ACT after the 2003 bushfires, said the 45-minute time lag doomed the firefighters' efforts.

"We have to respond with fire retardant, … remote area firefighting teams, or trucks on the ground within an hour of an ignition, [a 45-minute delay] in transmitting that data almost negates the possibility of doing that," he said.

"As was shown in this case, the fire takes off, so it needs to be quicker."

Mr Dunn said climate change had made traditional firefighting approaches outdated and dangerous.

"The level of dryness is so extreme that we don't have time to wait, watch and see, we have to react," he said.

"We've got to keep fires small, and we can only introduce fire into the landscape in very exceptional circumstances where we can guarantee that we can control it."

Residents evacuate as Fraser Island bushfire reaches Happy Valley .
Residents of a Queensland town have been urged to 'leave immediately' as the devastating Fraser Island bushfire makes a beeline for their homes. Most residents of Happy Valley evacuated on Sunday afternoon but 50 people remained to defend their homes from the bushfire on the tourist mecca. Queensland Fire Emergency Services made a fifth 'leave immediately' warning at 8am on Monday following four desperate warnings in the last 24 hours. 'Currently as of 8am on Monday, a large fire is travelling in a south easterly direction towards Happy Valley township on Fraser Island,' the warning read.

usr: 6
This is interesting!