Australia Victoria splits from water minister' pack on commitment to Murray-Darling Basin Plan deadlines
Meet the 2021 SAS Australia recruits
The SAS Australia 2021 cast has been revealed and here is hoping the new contestants will be able to face their toughest challenge yet. It's arguably the most physically and mentally demanding reality TV show on Australian screens, but SAS Australia is back for another year. As for this year's celebrity recruits - you'll probably recognise a few. Last year, rugby player and former Bachelor Nick 'Honey Badger' Cummins, comedian Merrick Watts and AFLW player Sabrina Frederick were the only three stars to complete the course so we've seen how tough this show is.
Federal and state Murray-Darling Basin water ministers have pledged to meet a 2024 deadline for a range of water-saving projects, despite reservations from Victoria.
A Ministerial Council meeting was held on Thursday morning, with ministers agreeing to re-examine two controversial water savings projects at Menindee Lakes and Yanco Creek.
Federal Water Minister Keith Pitt said he had commissioned an independent report into the progress of all projects, known as the Sustainable Diversion Limit Adjustment Mechanism (SDLAM) projects, which are supposed to lower the overall water recovery target by delivering the environmental outcomes equivalent to 605GL of water buybacks.
5 things to know about the brand new US climate commitment
It’s the most ambitious target to date, but it still may not be big enough to atone for our outsize emissions.The announcement came at the White House’s Earth Day summit on Thursday, where 40 world leaders met virtually to discuss and announce their new ambitions for curbing greenhouse gases.
That report concluded two-thirds of them were on track to be completed by 2024.
However, in a statement Acting Victorian Water Minister, Richard Wynne said the totality of the projects would not be complete by 2024.
The Basin Plan set strict conditions for the projects, and if just one of the projects remained incomplete in 2024, it considered all of them incomplete, meaning that water would need to be recovered from farmers.
The Federal Government, and legislated a cap on them that has yet to be reached.
But Mr Wynne warned that the current, incomplete state of a range of projects risked putting buybacks back on the table for Basin communities.
Mr Wynne told his counterparts 'it is widely recognised that states wouldn't meet the deadline of 2024 to deliver all of the 605GL worth of projects', according to a statement.
Twist in Bushells Tea heiress saga as pop star lover is charged
A pop star has been charged with assaulting and intimidating his lover - the heiress of the Bushells tea fortune - during a bizarre car trip with his family in the early hours of the morning. Daily Mail Australia can reveal Sydney music figure Dennis Dowlut, of R&B outfits Electric Empire and Disco Montego, could face two years' imprisonment if found guilty of an alleged attack on the mother of his two children Alisha Oxley on April 1. Ms Oxley is the mother of the couple's two children and is a descendant of the legendary 1900s English tea merchant, Philip Bushell, who founded the popular tea and coffee brand.
Mr Wynne also called for "legislative flexibility" around the 2024 deadline, but Mr Pitt ruled it out.
"The Commonwealth has no plans to change the timeline," Mr Pitt said.
Menindee, Yanco projects re-examined
The Basin Plan set a Sustainable Diversion Limit, the amount of water in the system that can be used by towns, irrigators and industry, and the SDLAM projects these schemes were designed to deliver environmental outcomes that were equivalent to buying the water fram farmers.
The Productivity Commission haskey projects included in the SDLAM are behind schedule, and in 2019 recommended setting more realistic time frames to get them completed.
One of the projects, which originally involved infrastructure works at the Menindee Lakes designed to make them deeper and reduce the surface area, stalled earlier this year, and was met with.
Study investigating possible link between water quality and kidney disease in remote Northern Territory
New research aims to establish if there is a link between water quality in remote parts of the Northern Territory and high rates of end-stage kidney disease. "We know that there are community concerns about the quality of drinking water that largely comes from bore water across the Territory," said Paul Lawton, who has worked as a kidney specialist and clinician in the Northern Territory since 1999.Dr Lawton said questions from remote residents had driven his latest research project as a senior research fellow with the Darwin-based Menzies of School of Health Research.
Another, the Yanco Creek Offset Project, involved upgrading the Yanco Wier, north of Narrandera.
"There was significant discussion today around the ability to re-scope the Menindee Lakes and Yanco Creek projects," Mr Pitt told the ABC.
Mr Pitt said ministers agreed to re-examine the projects, and a report into their new scope will be published in two months.
Ministers also agreed to more Commonwealth funding for NSW to "accelerate five projects that will deliver 45GL by 2024".
Constraints still lagging
One of the most important projects, Constraints Management, aims to allow larger volumes of water to flow through the southern connected system, by raising low-lying bridges and most importantly,that would be affected by temporary flooding on their property.
Negotiations with an estimated 3,000 potentially impacted landholders have barely started, as highlighted by the Productivity Commission.
Much of that work must take place with NSW landholders.
Mr Pitt recognised their complexity but said he was focussed "on what we were getting done", while reiterating the government had no plan to change the 2024 deadline.
Quarantine angst .
Good morning, early birds. Leaked report reveals Victoria's third lockdown was sparked by swabbing in an open doorway, and the Indian Premier League Twenty20 cricket tournament has been suspended indefinitely, leaving more than 30 Australian players, coaches, and staff in limbo. It's the news you need to know, with Chris Woods.Additionally, a senior bureaucrat managing infection prevention across the quarantine program, Matiu Bush, has been reported to authorities twice since March after defying a Defence Force request for a mandatory test and breaching infection-control protocols ($).