•   
  •   

Australia Francis Wark appeals against conviction and sentence for Hayley Dodd manslaughter

13:25  04 may  2021
13:25  04 may  2021 Source:   abc.net.au

George Floyd death: Chauvin could face tougher sentence as Minnesota judge finds aggravating factors

  George Floyd death: Chauvin could face tougher sentence as Minnesota judge finds aggravating factors A judge's ruling made public Wednesday lists "aggravating factors" that could pave the way for a longer sentence for former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin, who was convicted last month of second and third-degree murder and manslaughter in George Floyd's death.Though found guilty on all three counts, Minnesota law says that Chauvin will only be sentenced for the most serious count – second-degree murder – which carries a maximum prison sentence of 40 years. But because he has no prior criminal record, Minnesota sentencing guidelines say Chauvin could face a presumptive sentence of 12.5 years on that count.

a man wearing a suit and tie: Francis Wark was sentenced to 18 years in jail for Hayley Dodd's manslaughter. (ABC News) © Provided by ABC NEWS Francis Wark was sentenced to 18 years in jail for Hayley Dodd's manslaughter. (ABC News)

Francis Wark, the convicted rapist who received a record jail term for killing missing WA teenager Hayley Dodd more than two decades ago, is once again fighting to clear his name of the crime.

Wark, 65, has lodged paperwork with the WA Court of Appeal saying he wants to appeal against both his conviction and sentence.

While the appeal against the sentence has been accepted, a spokesman for the Court of Appeal says the notice relating to Wark's conviction has not been completed correctly and contains "technical deficiencies".

Manslaughter trial over breast op dropped

  Manslaughter trial over breast op dropped The prosecutor of Chinese tourist Jie Shao charged with the manslaughter of a Sydney beauty clinic owner has dropped the case.Jie Shao was 33 at the time of working at the Medi Beauty Laser and Contour Clinic in Chippendale when she allegedly administered a local anaesthetic and breast fillers into Jean Huang.

The ABC understands Wark is expected to be given the opportunity to correct the mistakes.

In a handwritten notice of appeal, Wark, who give his address as Hakea prison, said he wanted to appeal against the conviction on the grounds "the verdict was an unsafe and unsatisfactory decision".

He stated his ground of appeal against his sentence was that "the sentencing judge erred in law by imposing a sentence that was manifestly excessive".

The notice of appeal also said Wark was not legally represented and that he would be applying for government-funded legal aid.

The 18-year term he received was the longest ever imposed in Western Australia for the crime of manslaughter after Justice Stephen Hall ruled the killing of the teenager was in the worst category of the offence.

Malaysian ex-PM Najib fined for breaking virus rules

  Malaysian ex-PM Najib fined for breaking virus rules Former Malaysian leader Najib Razak, who has been convicted over the mammoth 1MDB scandal, is in trouble with the law again -- this time for breaking coronavirus rules in a restaurant. The 67-year-old, who remains free on bail while he appeals the 1MDB conviction, used the incident to highlight other cases in which politicians allegedly broke the rules. These include an incident when ministers allegedly travelled illegally to another part of the country to attend a wedding. "Myself and the man on the street are investigated by police and fined by the government," Najib posted on Facebook, after the penalty was announced late Thursday.

Wark was made eligible for parole after 16 years, but if he does not disclose where Hayley Dodd's body is, he will have to serve the entire term under WA's "no body, no parole" laws, which were introduced after a campaign started by the teenager's mother, Margaret.

It is the second time Wark has gone to the Court of Appeal to try to his clear his name.

His first appeal was in 2019 after he was found guilty by a Supreme Court judge of murdering the 17-year-old and sentenced to life with a 21-year-minimum.

That appeal succeeded after it was ruled the trial judge, who heard the case sitting without a jury, had made an error in law by discounting Wark's claimed alibis.

However the Court of Appeal ruled Wark should face a retrial.

That took place earlier this year before a jury which found him not guilty of murder, but guilty of the lesser offence of manslaughter.

Unlike the first trial, Wark gave evidence testifying he had nothing to do with Hayley Dodd's disappearance and denied under oath that he killed her.

Channel 10 rebrands their All Access streaming service as Paramount+

  Channel 10 rebrands their All Access streaming service as Paramount+ The Chief Content Officer also admitted ambitions to release blockbuster movies like Mission Impossible 7 on the service just 45 days after cinemas. © Provided by Daily Mail ( That would bring the Australian service in line with its US counterpart, which made the shift from CBS All Access to Paramount+ earlier this year. 'Obviously that's something we would love,' said McGarvey of halving the release window from Australia's traditional 90 days.'We're just working through all the technical details,' said the executive.

The teenager was last seen alive walking along a road in July 1999, near a property Wark owned at the time near Badgingarra in WA's Wheatbelt region.

He maintained he was shopping in Moora, about 50 kilometres away, at the time the teenager was last seen alive, but the jury rejected his testimony.

Hayley Dodd's body has never been found despite repeated searches of the area — one as late as last week prompted by comments Wark made at his trial about a water tank.

Again nothing was found, but WA Police have vowed never to give up looking for her.

Margaret Dodd and her family have also repeatedly pleaded with Wark to tell them where Hayley is so they can lay her to rest properly.

Derek Chauvin asks for new trial after Floyd murder conviction .
Ex-police officer who knelt on George Floyd’s neck for more than nine minutes found guilty of three charges last month.In a series of motions filed to District Court Judge Peter Cahill on Tuesday, Chauvin’s attorney, Eric Nelson, said the ex-officer was deprived of a fair trial.

usr: 1
This is interesting!