Australia De Belin jury to continue for second week
De Belin says sex proposal elicited wink
The jury in football star Jack de Belin's rape retrial has heard his side of the story as pre-recorded evidence was played in court."I can keep a secret if you can," State of Origin star Jack de Belin says he told an unknown woman on a dancefloor after proposing a threesome with another friend.
A jury deliberating on rape charges against NRL footballer Jack de Belin will return for a sixth day of discussion, after failing to reach a verdict on Friday.
The St George Illawarra forward, 30, and his friend Callan Sinclair, 24, have both pleaded not guilty to multiple counts of aggravated sexual assault.
Sydney District Court Judge Nicole Noman sent the jury home for the weekend on Friday afternoon, inviting them to put their thoughts of the trial aside and return refreshed on Monday.
The judge thanked the jury for their time so far.
Daughter guilty of aged-care manslaughter
NSW woman Barbara Eckersley has been found guilty of killing her 92-year-old mother after adding a drug to her food at an aged-care centre in 2018.Barbara Eckersley, 69, was on Thursday found not guilty of murder but guilty of Mary White's manslaughter at an aged-care centre in August 2018.
"You're no doubt being extremely diligent in your discussion and attending to your discussions with the thought that is appropriate," she told them.
The jury asked on Thursday if it was permitted to continue its verdict deliberations into next week, in the event it could not "achieve a unanimous decision" by Friday afternoon.
"You should feel you can take as long as is required," the judge told them.
Jurors had previously been told they should be available until Friday. Judge Noman will hear another case in Nowra starting from Monday, but will appear in Sydney by video-link if needed.
"I do apologise that our face-to-face interaction will come to an end," she told the jurors.
The jury retired on Monday morning after hearing evidence and submissions over 13 days about the December 2018 events.
A woman says she met de Belin and Sinclair on a Wollongong dancefloor before accompanying them to a unit, north of the city centre.
While inside, she says her protests were ignored when the professional footballer shoved her onto the bed and began raping her.
Sinclair is accused of joining in shortly thereafter.
The men denied she protested in any way, testifying she agreed to and appeared to enjoy consensual sex.
No jury notes were sent to Judge Noman until Thursday morning, when a request was made for a copy of the legal directions the judge gave at the end of the trial.
That request was granted.
NRL holds firm on de Belin stand down .
The NRL has confirmed Jack de Belin won't be allowed to return to the game until his court case is concluded, after his second trial ended in another hung jury.De Belin's court proceedings were prolonged even further on Monday, when a jury was again unable to reach a verdict on four counts of sexual assault.