•   
  •   

Australia Search for origin of mystery NSW COVID-19 case continues

00:41  08 may  2021
00:41  08 may  2021 Source:   9news.com.au

Papenhuyzen set for NSW Origin bench role

  Papenhuyzen set for NSW Origin bench role NSW State of Origin coach Brad Fittler doesn't want to be caught without a utility back on the bench, with Melbourne ace Ryan Papenhuyzen offering versatility.The highly rated Blues were upset by Queensland's "worst team ever" in the 2020 series, with NSW paying the price for going into the third match without a utility back among the reserves.

The search for the origin of the mystery COVID - 19 case continues as people are urged to check-in at all venues.

NSW has announced no new locally acquired Covid - 19 cases as the state continues to search for a mystery case feared to have leaked the virus from quarantine. NSW Health revealed the promising news on Friday morning – a daily figure Premier Gladys Berejiklian earlier said she was pleased with. Yet health authorities say they are "concerned" over the "very low" number of check ins at a restaurant in Sydney's CBD identified as an exposure site. Commuters wear masks on Thursday as part of new restrictions enforced for transport. Source: Getty. Anyone who visited Haymarket restaurant XOPP on

Health authorities are still trying to uncover the mystery COVID-19 case at the centre of the current outbreak that has NSW on edge.

a group of people on a sidewalk: Commuters wearing masks disembark from the light rail at Central Station in Sydney. © Getty Commuters wearing masks disembark from the light rail at Central Station in Sydney.

But although the hunt is ongoing, there are rising hopes Greater Sydney will dodge a snap lockdown for Mother's Day after no new cases were found anywhere in the state on Friday from 13,339 tests in 24 hours.

Authorities have firmly turned their attention to Haymarket restaurant XOPP, where it's thought a man in his 50s from Woollahra — dubbed Patient X after he became the first new case this week — may have crossed paths with the missing link.

Women's Origin returning to Queensland

  Women's Origin returning to Queensland Women's State of Origin will return to Queensland in 2021 after the spectacle in the state's south-east last year was impacted by COVID-19 restrictions.As per a new scheduling tradition, the women's match will be held on the Friday before game two of the men's Origin series.

New South Wales has reported no new locally acquired coronavirus cases on the first full day of new restrictions in the state, but contact tracers are still working to find the source of an infection in a man who had no links to overseas travel or hotel quarantine . No new locally acquired cases of Covid - 19 On Thursday Berejiklian announced restrictions would come into place from 5pm and continue until 12.01am on Monday, with households limited to welcoming 20 guests, and masks made compulsory on public transport and in all public indoor venues. Dancing and drinking while standing up at indoor

NSW Health is searching for the link between the Belrose Hotel and the firefighter. To complicate matters, another positive case attended the Belrose Hotel bottle shop on December 17. But Dr Chant said that case could not be linked to the worker, who was not on shift at that time and had never Stations at Beecroft on the Upper North Shore and Dee Why on the northern beaches have also been deep cleaned as a precaution due to the movement of staff. Dr Chant called for people across the state to continue to get tested, even with the slightest of symptoms, to ensure cases weren't falling

READ MORE: WA to permanently halve its hotel quarantine intake

Patient X and his wife are the only two confirmed cases in the cluster.

Just 500m from the XXOP restaurant is the Park Royal Darling Harbour quarantine hotel. And on the day Patient X and his wife dined at XXOP, a returned traveller from the US who had the same strain as the couple was in quarantine at the Park Royal.

It's suspected the traveller may have passed on the virus to a quarantine worker, who may be the missing link.

However it's not known what role the mystery case played in the hotel quarantine system, making it harder for authorities to find them.

Making matters even worse for contact tracers is the fact that a very low number of diners actually scanned the QR code to "check in" to XOPP when Patient X ate lunch there.

Key detail which means Sydney's Covid case might be easily explained

  Key detail which means Sydney's Covid case might be easily explained The positive test result on Wednesday sent shockwaves through the city because the man, who is in his 50s and lives in the eastern suburbs, had not returned from overseas,.The positive test result on Wednesday sent shockwaves through the city because the man, who is in his 50s and lives in the eastern suburbs, had not returned from overseas, does not work in border control, health care or at a quarantine facility.

NSW has recorded 30 new COVID - 19 cases linked to the Northern Beaches outbreak, but Premier Gladys Berejiklian says infections have yet to spread to Greater Sydney. Key points Search for source continues . NSW Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant said the "detective work" into the source of the Northern Beaches outbreak is continuing . "There is an intensive investigation under way and while a really do want to find the source, it may be that this is going to be a challenge beyond us," Dr Chant said.

The Ministry of Health also confirmed the pause in quarantine-free travel between NSW and New Zealand remains in place.


Video: Queensland man among five new blood clot cases linked to vaccine (9News.com.au)

CCTV shows up to 100 guests inside the restaurant but only a handful of them signed in. As a result, anyone who was at XOPP on Wednesday April 28 between 1.30pm and 2.30pm must get tested.

https://twitter.com/NSWHealth/status/1390473045983207424?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Chief Medical Officer Paul Kelly said the fact there were no new local cases nationally on Friday was promising and urged people to continue getting tested.

"And the more we see the chances are we may see some more cases and we certainly need to work out that chain for the person we know arrived on 24th April ... the Sydneysider, and his wife, that have become positive without an obvious link there. But clearly it's the same virus."

With the search for the mystery case continuing, masks and increased restrictions will remain in place across Sydney.

Penrith's Origin bump in top grades record

  Penrith's Origin bump in top grades record Penrith are the only club in history to win their way through the first two months of first and reserve grade, and that could pay off come State of Origin time.The Panthers remain unbeaten in the NRL and can become just the second side in 25 years to record a 9-0 start with victory against Newcastle on Friday night.

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian has warned more locally-acquired Covid - 19 cases are likely after a man from Sydney's east picked up the virus. People can currently travel between Australia from New Zealand without having to undergo a Covid - 19 quarantine stay on either side of the Tasman. In a statement yesterday evening, New Zealand's Ministry of Health said the public health risk to New Zealand was low. It said at this stage it did not recommend any change in quarantine-free travel between the two countries.

Search for origin of mystery COVID - 19 case continues . The search for the origin of the mystery COVID - 19 case continues as people are urged to check-in at all venues. 2 hours ago02:32. Government set to lift controversial travel ban.

Until at least Monday, authorities have ordered those in Greater Sydney, the Illawarra and Blue Mountains to wear masks when at public indoor venues and on transport, and placed limits on the number of visitors allowed in a private home or at public gatherings.

With the centre of the outbreak being a returned traveller, the situation again raises questions about the effectiveness of the hotel quarantine system and procedures currently in place.

According to a report in the Sydney Morning Herald, six out of the 150 people who tested positive for COVID-19 in hotel quarantine in the past three weeks were said to have been fully vaccinated overseas before their arrival in Australia.

a group of police officers riding on the back of a truck: People queue for testing at the Bondi COVID-19 testing clinic. © Mark Metcalfe/Getty People queue for testing at the Bondi COVID-19 testing clinic.

The six vaccinated cases had received a variety of the different shots available, including both the one-dose Johnson & Johnson jab as well as the two-dose Pfizer, AstraZeneca and Moderna injections.

This highlights the role of the vaccine in reducing the need for hospitalisation due to the virus but a reminder that it doesn't eliminating catching the disease.

It also raises questions about being able to effectively implement a vaccine passport system for return travellers.

Boss of investment giant revealed as centre of Sydney Covid outbreak .
A Sydneysider who was dubbed 'BBQ Man' for going on a shopping spree before being diagnosed with Covid has been revealed as Apollo Global Management managing director Tom Pizzey.Apollo Global Management managing director Tom Pizzey travelled across Sydney last weekend, visiting four separate BBQ stores over the space of a few hours.

usr: 2
This is interesting!