•   
  •   

Australia Calls to ban hot water bottles after Melbourne man severely burned.

12:25  10 may  2021
12:25  10 may  2021 Source:   9news.com.au

Why Joe Biden Is Banning Menthol Cigarettes

  Why Joe Biden Is Banning Menthol Cigarettes About 18.6 million Americans smoke menthol cigarettes, according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.The ban aims to "reduce tobacco addiction and curb deaths" and "address health disparities," the FDA said in a statement.

A young Melbourne apprentice has suffered serious burns after his hot water bottle burst in his lap while he was playing Playstation.

The 20-year-old's mother Marie Machera has called for hot water bottles to be banned after the "horrific" incident that left her son in hospital for a week.

He was at his home in Coburg playing Playstation with the hot water bottle on his lap when it spontaneously ruptured and the boiling water spilled on to his legs and hands.

"His body went into shock and he was trembling … it was a horrific sight to see, I wouldn't wish it upon anyone," Ms Macheras told 9News.

A Melbourne man has suffered severe burns from a hot water bottle prompting some health professionals to call for a ban on the product. © Nine A Melbourne man has suffered severe burns from a hot water bottle prompting some health professionals to call for a ban on the product.

READ MORE: Patti Newton says Bert 'chose to live' by getting his leg amputated

Melbourne mother stranded in India says she doesn't 'feel like an Australian at all'

  Melbourne mother stranded in India says she doesn't 'feel like an Australian at all' Australians and their families stranded in India want the government to come up with a better plan to help them come home, with one Melbourne mother left feeling "gutted" by the situation."I should not have come here. It's so difficult," she told the ABC from Hyderabad, where she has been living with her five-year-old daughter Rida Fatima since March 2020.

"He said, 'mum I'm on fire' - so he was burning," she said.

The apprentice carpenter suffered serious burns and stripped down before paramedics arrived and gave him a shot of morphine.

"We had him under that cold shower because the minute we stepped him out … he was on fire," Ms Macheras said.

The 20-year-old spent a week in the burns unit at the Alfred Hospital, suffering second and third-degree burns on his thighs and hands.

He had to go undergo painful surgery for a skin graft.

READ MORE: Former Melbourne mayor apologises after sexual misconduct allegations

Doctor Dane Holden said the dangers presented by hot water bottles were avoidable.

"It's extremely concerning for us because these injuries are entirely preventable," Dr Holden said.

Home Affairs Minister says India COVID travel ban being reviewed daily

  Home Affairs Minister says India COVID travel ban being reviewed daily Home Affairs Minister says India COVID travel ban being reviewed daily

The Australian Competition & Consumer Commission (ACCC) said all hot water bottles made from PVC must have warning labels.

a person sitting on a bed: A man has suffered serious burns after a hot water bottle burst in his lap. © iStock A man has suffered serious burns after a hot water bottle burst in his lap.

Consumers are urged to replace them every 12 months and told not to fill it with boiling water.

Hot tap water should be used to fill a hot water bottle and it should not be filled more than two-thirds.

A fitted cover is also encouraged. The bottle can also be wrapped to avoid direct contact with skin.

The advice also states a hot water bottle should never be on the body for more than 20 minutes.

READ MORE: Border collie rescued by police 200m out to sea off Mornington Peninsula coast

"Looking at a hot water bottle from the outside it might seem like its in really good condition … but the hot water bottle can deteriorate the plastic and seals on the inside and then they can spontaneously rupture," Dr Holden said.

"We are just complacent – there's not enough information about the damage it can cause.

"I say get rid of your hot water bottles … everyone has one lying around the house – it's a hazard waiting to happen."

There is a current recall on some hot water bottles sold at Spotlight, with fears the stopper could leak or seams could split.

What drought, fish kills and financial strife along the Darling River taught regional communities in NSW .
Those who live alongside the Darling have watched one of Australia's grandest rivers recede under withering drought — but their resilience sees them through.Two more followed in January 2019, downstream of Menindee Lakes. In total, it is estimated 1 million fish perished over a 40-kilometre stretch.

usr: 4
This is interesting!