Australia Major concern with Melbourne testing numbers as new mystery case emerges
Animal testing status made clearer in new voluntary cosmetic industry code
Shoppers looking for cosmetic products that support animal welfare will have more clarity, with the Australian government beefing up consumer law to address misleading advertising claims. Laws that banned testing cosmetics on animals in Australia came into effect in July 2020, and now the federal government is backing the legislation with a new voluntary code for the cosmetic industry.Cosmetics are defined to include make-up, soaps, shampoos, toothpaste, and other personal care items.Accord Australasia, which represents the cosmetics industry, led the development of the voluntary code.
Victorian authorities have warned against complacency as testing numbers drop despite a new mysterycase emerging overnight.
Victoria Health Minister Martin Foley has revealed the state's new case is a "City of Melbourne" resident.
Investigators are still trying to determine the source of transmission.
COVID-19 Response Commander Jeroen Weimar said the new case had not yet been linked to any new exposure sites, but that this could change as more information was received.
He said the new case was a younger man with a young family at home, who had limited excursions outside, mostly for care reasons.
Hunt for mystery cases continues as second week of lockdown begins
Two Victorian coronavirus cases said to have been caught in "fleeting exchanges" have now been reclassified as false positives. READ MORE: Victorian government gets federal backing to build quarantine facilityVictoria's Department of Health confirmed a woman who visited a display home and a man who visited Brighton Beach Hotel would no longer be considered positive coronavirus cases after expert analysis.
The man was not a primary close contact of any known case and was still a "mystery" case, Mr Weimar said. However, he has been linked to a number of existing exposure sites.
Victoria Health Minister Martin Foley said the person had done everything correctly, getting tested and receiving a result yesterday. His four family members have been tested today, with results anticipated later in the afternoon.
Mr Weimar has urged Victorians to keep getting tested and to not dismiss potential COVID-19 symptoms as "winter sniffles".
He said he had been confident in testing numbers up until about three days ago, but that the high numbers needed to continue as new cases were still emerging.
Victoria is battling COVID on multiple fronts now. Here are four things to watch
Victoria's coronavirus outbreak takes a concerning turn with authorities now fighting two highly infectious strains.The stakes for Melburnians, currently in the second week of a harsh lockdown, were raised yesterday, when health authorities revealed that a coronavirus variant which has spread widely in India and the UK had been detected in the community in Melbourne.
"I am concerned the testing numbers are dropping, and while we are still dealing with new cases emerging," he said.
"I would really encourage people to keep those testing numbers up. That will give us the best feel if we are getting a good cross-section of people coming forward."
Health teams are also continuing to work with the Reservoir family cases, and with the Melbourne couple who have tested positive to COVID-19 in Queensland.
More than 20,000 people were vaccinated in Victorian state clinics yesterday, while 15,110 people were tested statewide.
Mr Foley said all elective surgery would begin again in Melbourne on Tuesday, but reminded residents that other restrictions remained in force.
Melbourne residents cannot have visitors at home except for their intimate partner or a single-person social bubble.
Video: No new virus cases in Victoria (9News.com.au)
Outdoor gatherings are restricted to groups of 10 people maximum.
Focus on Victorian COVID mystery cases, Delta variant and aged care outbreak ahead of lockdown deadline
Victorian officials and experts remain concerned about an aged care outbreak and the highly infectious Delta variant of COVID-19 as the planned end of Melbourne's lockdown nears.Health authorities remain no closer to understanding how a West Melbourne family of four contracted the Delta variant, which originated in India.
It follows a result of zero new cases in the state announced yesterday.
In the past 24 hours, Victoria issued 20,660 vaccine doses and received 15,110 test results.
Victoria's new COVID-19 case is "likely" to be connected to the Whittlesea outbreak, Mr Weimar has said.
That would link the case to the Arcare Maidstone, Reservoir, and Queensland traveller COVID-19 cases.
There are still more than 2300 Victorians in isolation as close contacts of the Whittlesea outbreak.
More than 4000 close contacts have been allowed to leave quarantine.
"We've seen in the outbreak and number of people turn positive on day 13 so we have to make sure we finish those isolation periods with negative test and you are released by our public health team to continue working around the clock to ensure we support everybody in isolation and quarantine and detecting other cases we may have out there," Mr Weimar said.
In Victoria's West Melbourne outbreak of the Delta variant, 761 primary close contacts have been released from quarantine, while 764 are still in isolation.
Authorities urge Victorians to get tested for COVID-19 as rates begin steep decline
Victoria recorded no new cases of coronavirus yesterday but one crucial trend has health authorities worried and it could mean lockdown will last longer.Health authorities and experts are warning Victorians not to get complacent about COVID-19 testing this winter as testing rates in Melbourne begin a worrying decline.
"I'm pleased to confirm that North Melbourne Primary School will reopen on Tuesday," Mr Weimar said.
"Now completely deep-cleaned, cleared – great to see so many kids coming out of isolation."
Mr Weimar said the positive Victorian cases who travelled to Queensland "increasingly" appear to be an older set of cases who had come to the end of their infections period.
"There are a number of Tier Two sites we've identified that go back a number of weeks to May 18," he said.
"There are a number of those Tier Two exposure sites that I'd ask people to check and it goes back to the conversation from earlier that we believe there are other branches that may be out there that we've not yet discovered."
Another day of zero local cases in Queensland
There was good news for Queensland, which recorded another day of zero local COVID-19 cases, continuing a run of happy results after a traveller from Melbourne tested positive.
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk announced this morning that the Sunshine State had only recorded one overseas-acquired case in the past 24 hours.
It is the second day in a row the state has had no locally-acquired cases.
The result came after a further five people were caught trying to dodge Queensland's border restrictions yesterday.
Two were detected coming across the border at Goondiwindi, another came into Dalby via the Coolangatta border and two people were found in the Wide Bay.
They've been fined and put into hotel quarantine.
New South Wales has also notched up another "donut day" with no new cases.
A record number of 16,288 vaccines were administered and 19,304 people tested across the state.
Sydney COVID-19 cluster grows to nine .
Residents ordered to mask up as Bondi cluster spreads into community.NSW has recorded two locally acquired cases of COVID-19 in the 24 hours to 8pm last night, one of which was announced yesterday morning.