Australia New Acland coal mine investigation drags on for years, leading to landowners' anger
China-two dead, six missing in a state-of-state coal-media mine
China-coal / accident: China-two dead, six missing in a state coal-media mine Shanghai, June 5 (Reuters ) - An accident in a coal mine in the center of China has made two dead and six people are still missing, Saturday reported the CCTV state television channel. The "accidental explosion" occurred in a mine operated by Henan Hebi Coal and Electricity Co on Friday at the end of the afternoon and the authorities of the province of Henan initiated the emergency plan, added CCTV.
Farmers on the Darling Downs in Queensland say they are "very frustrated" that an investigation into alleged illegal mining in the area still has not been resolved.
In June last year,to a pre-enforcement letter regarding the allegations.
A year on, farmer Frank Ashman said nearby landholders were fed up.
"From 2018 right through till now, two, three years later, it's just too long," he said.
Queensland Coal Mining Board of Inquiry releases report into Grosvenor explosion
A board of inquiry set up to examine the cause of a blast that seriously injured five workers found the mine failed to take meaningful action to control hazards.Five miners were seriously injured in the blast at the Grosvenor Mine in May last year.
The area in question is known as West Pit.
It is within the New Acland Coal [NAC] mining lease, but opponents argue it is outside the mine footprint approved by the Queensland government.
The company responded to the government last August, but the Department of Environment and Science (DES) has not put a timeframe on its investigation.
Ellie Smith from the Lock the Gate Alliance said she was "totally dumbfounded" by the length of the investigation.
"They've [the state government] sat on it for over two years now — it's just outrageous," she said.
"In the meantime, the company continues to mine in areas that were never approved under their EIS [environment impact statement].
"The local community is deeply concerned about the precedent that this sets."
Thousands still without power as authorities reveal evidence of cracking at Yallourn power station mine
More than 25,000 properties remain without power and some communities are still cut off as authorities warn more wet weather is forecast for later this week.In an update on Monday afternoon, Energy Minister Lily D'Ambrosio said there was evidence that cracks had appeared overnight on the side of the mine at the Yallourn power station.
The federal environment department cleared the coal miner of any wrongdoing late last year and said the company had remained compliant with its federal approvals.
"I don't think that the federal investigation has very much bearing on the state investigation and very different pieces of legislation," Ms Smith said.
Matter returns to court
NAC – a New Hope Group company — was waiting on approval for stage three, which encompassed the West Pit, but that project returned to the Queensland Land Court
Mr Ashman said farmers were not giving up.
"That's the fight that needs to be continued and whether it's in the Land Court or anywhere else … we need to fight to make sure that water and that underground water is protected," he said.
"Every time we make a step forward, the other side makes a counter step, so it's like going into the ring with Cassius Clay [Muhammad Ali]. You don't know which uppercut or right hook he's going to hit you with next.
How the next 5 years can buy us a decade to solve climate change
Strip out the politics, and the climate change story is very different to the one we've been told.As decades go by and emissions rise, the politics has stayed the same.
"But we're in there fighting and, believe me, you get somebody that gets their back against the wall, they fight like mongrel dogs."
The Lock the Gate Alliance said with the matter back before the court, it was important to get a resolution into the legalities of West Pit.
"We'd really like to see an outcome.
"And it's just totally unacceptable that the government is sitting on its hands," Ms Smith said.
"The community needs to know whether or not it can trust the environmental impact assessment process or not and this is a test case for that and the department needs to make a decision."
The DES said it commenced its investigation into West Pit in 2018.
"These matters can be complex and need detailed examination to ensure all relevant issues are considered," a spokesperson said.
"The department is unable to provide a timeline for these processes."
New Hope Group said it would not be commenting, as the matter was potentially before the Land Court.
In June last year, chief operating officer Andrew Boyd strongly rejected any allegations of wrongdoing on the part of the time and said all operations were legal and within its mining lease.
Twiggy v Clive set to make the climate debate real and willing in the fight for Queensland’s key marginal seats
Two mining billionaires are squaring up for a fight for influence in Queensland's key seats if the Morrison government is kicked out.And it might come less from the candidates and more from two billionaires gearing up to battle it out for influence in the key seats that could come into play if the government is ousted.
"Nothing in our mining lease requires us to absolutely stay in those mining pit areas that were defined under the EIS," he said.
At the time, Mr Boyd said 10 million tonnes of coal had been extracted since mining in the West Pit began in 2016 and that the mine had kept the state government informed about its revised plans.
"Over time, mine plans change and pit boundaries change, based on economics, based on exploration drilling, and all kinds of things," he said.
"It's normal mining practice."
Jobs already lost
The Construction, Forestry, Maritime, Mining and Energy Union's (CFMEU) Michael Hartin believed the investigation was a "moot point", with the workforce winding up later this year.
"We've lost over 300 full-time employees. We've also lost around 150 contractors, we have more redundancies occurring in six weeks' time," he said.
"Certainly by late October, early November, we'll actually see the rest of the workforce made redundant as the mine progresses into full rehabilitation mode.
"There is a bit of a fallacy around the amount of jobs in the renewable industry; there's only been one employee who has obtained work in that field."
Mr Hartin said employees were also "disappointed and disillusioned" that the case had returned to the Land Court, but said there was a future for the employees at Acland.
"It certainly feels like we are on the legal roundabout," he said.
"From what we're hearing from the company … they certainly remain committed.
"Coal exports for thermal coal has actually increased by 16 per cent this year, there is still a big market out there for thermal coal."
Rosebery mine facing significant opposition from protesters concerned about the Tarkine .
Tasmania's Rosebery mine needs to build a new tailings dam or risk closure, costing 500 jobs. But some are standing against the weight of public opinion and likelihood of arrest to protect the environment.The mine's closure would have ramifications across the state, but operator MMG is facing significant opposition from protesters who are concerned about the dam's proposed location inside takayna/Tarkine rainforest — an area the Australian Heritage Council says should be protected.