•   
  •   

Australia Victoria records one new COVID-19 case as apartment complex residents told to quarantine

03:33  13 july  2021
03:33  13 july  2021 Source:   theage.com.au

What are the symptoms of COVID and when should I get a test?

  What are the symptoms of COVID and when should I get a test? The symptoms of COVID-19 vary from person to person and can be similar to a cold or the flu. Here's what you need to know about the virus.Here's what you need to know about the virus and when you should get a COVID test.

a man standing in a room: 10/07/21 Victorian COVID-19 Commander Jeroen Weimar speaks to the media at the daily Covid-19 update. Photograph by Chris Hopkins © Chris Hopkins 10/07/21 Victorian COVID-19 Commander Jeroen Weimar speaks to the media at the daily Covid-19 update. Photograph by Chris Hopkins

Victoria recorded one new coronavirus case on Tuesday as residents of an apartment complex in Melbourne's north-west were told to quarantine for 14 days.

The new case is linked to a Victorian family of four in the City of Hume, in Melbourne's north, and has been in isolation. Two of the family members were announced as positive coronavirus cases on Monday.

Three members of the family flew into Melbourne from Sydney on July 4 on a red permit, meaning they were required to self-isolate for 14 days and get tested, while a fourth drove back to Melbourne on July 8.

Victoria records two Covid cases after removalist entered from Sydney

  Victoria records two Covid cases after removalist entered from Sydney Victoria has recorded two new locally-acquired coronavirus cases after infected removalists entered the state from Covid-ravaged NSW. The two new cases were previously announced on Monday afternoon and take Victoria's tally of active Covid-19 cases to 20.Another local case was acquired interstate. All three cases are members of the same Melbourne household who have been in isolation having recently returned from NSW on red zone permits.Meanwhile, an apartment complex in Melbourne is now in lockdown after being visited by the infected removalists who travelled from Sydney.

Health authorities do not believe either the flight or Melbourne Airport is a risk because the three family members tested negative for the virus on July 6, two days after disembarking.

The state's new COVID-19 numbers don't account for two Sydney removalists who were confirmed to be positive for coronavirus after being in Melbourne for two days to deliver furniture in the City of Hume and pick up another load in the City of Maribyrnong, in the north-west.

Test results from the two families who were at home in both locations and are now isolating are expected to be returned on Tuesday. The removalists worked in a group of three with one other removalist.

The Ariele Apartments complex on Thomas Holmes Street in Maribyrnong, where one of the families live, has been listed as a tier-1 site between 1pm and midnight on July 8 and as a tier-2 site from July 9 to July 12.

Western Public Health Unit has sent residents of the complex a letter, telling them if they were in the residential part of the complex during the exposure period on July 8, they have to immediately isolate, get a COVID-19 test and quarantine for 14 days.

"The public health assessment has identified a risk of transmission in the apartment complex, and that any person who was inside any residential parts of the building from 1pm on Thursday 8 July may be at risk of developing COVID-19 infection," the letter said.

The support on offer as Sydney Covid lockdown extends

  The support on offer as Sydney Covid lockdown extends Alongside the pandemic disaster payment and wage support for companies, the New South Wales government is providing business grants, tax relief and help for tenants. Businesses must apply for the cash via the Service NSW website and can expect the money in their accounts by the end of the month. They will be able to borrow from their bank to tide them over until then.Workers who lose hours can apply for up to $600 a week from Services Australia and can expect the money to hit their accounts within days.

The letter noted the "residential part of the complex" includes the residential foyer or lobby, stairwells, the lift, residential floors and the car park. The removalists would have spent some time in those areas.

Victoria's COVID-19 response commander Jeroen Weimar indicated on Monday that the process of interviewing the removalists had been © Getty Victoria's COVID-19 response commander Jeroen Weimar indicated on Monday that the process of interviewing the removalists had been "complex and challenging". After they left Victoria on July 9, they travelled on to South Australia, and then returned to NSW.

People who didn't enter the residential part of the building and only went into a commercial space on the ground floor are not classified as having visited an exposure site.

The letter said anyone who was in the residential part of the complex between 12am on July 9 and 11.59pm on July 12 should urgently get a COVID-19 test and isolate until they received a negative result.

"Residents of Ariele Apartments will be prioritised for testing at the Melbourne Showgrounds (Drive Through) testing site from 9am to 8pm on Tuesday," the letter said.

The number of tier 1 exposure sites across Victoria is expected to grow as authorities continue to determine the movements of the family who flew from Sydney to Melbourne, and the movements of the removalists.

New coronavirus restrictions are in place as outbreaks spread. Here's the latest COVID-19 news across Australia

  New coronavirus restrictions are in place as outbreaks spread. Here's the latest COVID-19 news across Australia There's a lot of coronavirus news happening right across Australia. Let's get you up to speed quickly on everything you need to know.If you can't keep up with every press conference, restriction or announcement, don't stress.

Before the new case was officially announced on Tuesday, Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews said authorities were very confident "we've got our arms around" the new COVID-19 cases, and that the people were in isolation and doing the right thing.

"There'll be some exposure sites, so I just ask people to have a look - either ring the hotline or go to the website, just to make sure that you know all the different information that relates to you," he told 3AW Mornings.

Victoria's COVID-19 response commander Jeroen Weimar indicated on Monday that the process of interviewing the removalists had been "complex and challenging". After they left Victoria on July 9, they travelled on to South Australia, and then returned to NSW.

Two places they stopped on the way to South Australia were late on Monday night identified as tier 1 exposure sites - both in the Victorian town of Ballan about 80 kilometres north-west of Melbourne.

The first site is a Mobil service station on the Western Freeway on July 8, between 5pm and 7pm. The exposure site includes the shower and bathroom facilities.

The second site is a McDonald's on the Western Freeway on the same date and at the same times as the service station. Anyone who was at these sites is asked to get tested immediately and isolate for 14 days.

'Paraphrased' or verballed? Labor's claim about Scott Morrison and Wellcamp Airport misses the mark

  'Paraphrased' or verballed? Labor's claim about Scott Morrison and Wellcamp Airport misses the mark Federal Labor politicians claim Scott Morrison rejected the idea of using Wellcamp Airport near Toowoomba as a quarantine facility because its runway isn't big enough for jets. But RMIT ABC Fact Check could find no record of the Prime Minister saying such a thing.You can read the latest edition below, and subscribe to have the next newsletter delivered straight to your inbox.

Coles at Craigieburn Central has also been identified as a tier 1 exposure site between 5.28pm and 6.38pm on July 10, while the broader Craigieburn Central Shopping Centre has been listed as a tier 3 site.

Metro Petroleum at Broadmeadows was listed as a tier 2 site between 1.19pm and 2.04pm on July 11, while a Qantas flight from Launceston to Melbourne remains a tier 2 site.

Mr Andrews said on Tuesday that lockdowns should not be necessary by the end of the year if the promised COVID-19 vaccinations are delivered and administered.

He said everybody who wants to get two shots will be able to do so by the end of the year.

Mr Andrews also confirmed he has sent a series of text messages to NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian to offer support and advice in handling the second wave.

More to come.

With Annika Smethurst, Sumeyya Ilanbey, Michael Fowler and David Crowe

Stay across the most crucial developments related to the pandemic with the Coronavirus Update. Sign up to receive the weekly newsletter.

A breakdown of today's COVID-19 news in each state and territory .
It's the start of a new week — and that means more COVID-19 news around much of the country. Here's a quick guide to what's new.Click on a link below to jump to your state or territory. We'll be updating these sections throughout the day as case numbers are released and we hear from health officials.

usr: 2
This is interesting!