•   
  •   

Australia Sydney's Covid outbreak is the worst NSW has dealt with to date

09:27  18 july  2021
09:27  18 july  2021 Source:   dailymail.co.uk

‘Nobody is safe': One in three COVID-19 hospital patients in intensive care

  ‘Nobody is safe': One in three COVID-19 hospital patients in intensive care Sydney's health system has become the first in the country to confront the latest wave of highly transmissible Delta-variant cases. © Getty SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - JUNE 04: A New South Wales Ambulance paramedic transports a patient to the triage area of the Emergency Department of St Vincent's Hospital on June 04, 2020 in Sydney, Australia. One of Australia's most iconic hospitals, St Vincent's was founded in 1857 and functions as a full service acute public teaching hospital predicted to see up to 60,000 patients come through the Emergency Department in 2020.

a group of people posing for the camera: MailOnline logo © Provided by Daily Mail MailOnline logo

Sydney is suffering through its biggest Covid outbreak of the entire pandemic with more cases in a month than the entire first wave.

The outbreak which began on June 16 has infected 1,242 people so far, including 105 on Sunday, compared to 1,233 in the first wave from February to May 2020.

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian has repeatedly warned the Delta variant of the virus posed the greatest threat the state has faced thus far.

On Sunday, she again warned 'this strain is unlike anything we've ever seen' just 24 hours after admitting she 'can't remember a time when our state has been challenged to such an extent'.

Scott Morrison says hotel quarantine has been 99.9 per cent successful. Is that correct?

  Scott Morrison says hotel quarantine has been 99.9 per cent successful. Is that correct? As lockdowns swept through Australia's largest cities, Prime Minister Scott Morrison defended the hotel quarantine system, claiming it has a "99.9 per cent success rate". But can he claim such a high rate of success?In an interview with Sky News on June 25, Prime Minister Scott Morrison said the hotel quarantine program "had a lot of critics" but defended its record.

As of Sunday, she is already frustratingly correct.

NSW spent six weeks in lockdown from mid-March 2020 along with the rest of the nation as the federal government drew up a plan to stymie the virus nation wide.

( © Provided by Daily Mail (

The state faced several Covid crises - from the Ruby Princess outbreak to cases spreading from the Crossroads Hotel in Casula and most recently a cluster in the Northern Beaches which forced all residents north of the Spit Bridge into lockdown.

In total, NSW has recorded 6,833 Covid cases across the entire 18 months the virus has been a threat, including those acquired overseas.

But 1,242 of those cases were recorded in just four short weeks since the current cluster was first reported on June 16.

Restrictions tightened in NSW as 111 new local COVID-19 cases recorded

  Restrictions tightened in NSW as 111 new local COVID-19 cases recorded Almost 30 people active in the community for their entire infectious period and more than 82,000 tests conducted.NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian described test numbers as "an outstanding result", however she said that the number of infections in the community is of great concern."We've prevented thousands and thousands of people being exposed to the virus and been infected, but what we haven't managed to do is really budge that stubborn number every day for the last few days where we need to quash this virus," Ms Berejiklian said."It is not good enough for us to tread water which is what we're doing now.

In contrast, there were 1,233 cases in Sydney's first Covid outbreak between February and May, including the passengers from the Ruby Princess cruise ship.

The first wave ended on May 25 when NSW's run of zero transmission days began, and ended on June 5 when a truck driver started an outbreak visiting the Crossroads Hotel in Casula on a run from virus-plagued Melbourne.

Between June and November 2020, 625 NSW residents caught the virus locally as that outbreak bubbled away but was contained without harsh restrictions.

During the Northern Beaches cluster of late 2020 to early 2021, 151 cases were officially linked to the initial source of infection, but over that period of time, 226 people across the state were infected.

Those numbers are well below the 1,242 already identified in the last four weeks - and the outbreak is still on the rise.

The virus initially spread from Bondi and Sydney's east, but the southwest is now considered the epicentre of the virus.

‘Open request': NSW pleads for contact tracing help as Sydney locks down hard

  ‘Open request': NSW pleads for contact tracing help as Sydney locks down hard The Commonwealth, South Australian and Western Australian governments all agreed to help but Victoria knocked back the request.NSW has been forced to seek urgent help from other states to boost its contact tracing capability, in a sign its COVID-19 tracking system is struggling to keep pace with the growing outbreak.

Of the 105 cases reported on Sunday, 79 were diagnosed in the local government areas of Fairfield, Liverpool or Canterbury.

Most concerning for authorities is the difficulty they're having in dragging the curve down.

A graph of all the new cases over the past eight days and the updated daily averages illustrates that infections are still gradually increasing - albeit slower than two weeks ago.

The number of new daily cases appeared to peak on July 12 at 112 when infections hovered between 65 and 97 in the four days to follow.

Gladys Berejiklian looking at the camera: ( © Provided by Daily Mail (

But hopes were dashed on Saturday when the state recorded 111 cases - followed by a second consecutive day of triple figures with 105 new diagnoses on Sunday.

Ms Berejiklian repeatedly said numbers would continue to 'bounce around' as contact tracers work to stay on top of the virus' spread.

With the daily average increasing by about 10 each day over the last week alone, it's clear authorities are struggling to keep up.

Less than a week ago on July 10, the daily average was 32.5 new cases.

But in just six days, that number has more than doubled to 83.8 new cases by Friday. Average cases appear to be trending up by about 10 each day.

COVID's escape from Sydney is a nightmare scenario. Could a 'ring of steel' have stopped it?

  COVID's escape from Sydney is a nightmare scenario. Could a 'ring of steel' have stopped it? COVID-19 has escaped from Sydney into regional centres. Catherine Taylor explores what went wrong and how rural communities will cope with Delta.It's a devastating blow, says Swift, who estimates 70 per cent of Printhie Wines' business has disappeared in the past month as COVID-19 first locked out tourists from Sydney and this week shut down to all customers after two removalists and a truck driver carried COVID-19's Delta variant into the region.

As of Sunday, the daily average case number is 96.5.

It's unlikely Ms Berejiklian and chief health officer Kerry Chant will even consider easing Sydney's lockdown until these figures stabilise and drop.

Sydney has been in lockdown for three weeks and the premier has already announced a two-week extension - but there are concerns stay-at-home orders will remain in place well beyond the expected date.

Dr Chant said on Friday she is 'not pleased' that transmission of the virus 'appears to be ongoing'.

'We need to disrupt the cycle, our mobility and other interactions,' she said.

Ms Berejiklian introduced particularly tough restrictions on residents in the LGAs of Fairfield, Liverpool and Canterbury on Saturday in an attempt to stem the spread of Covid in those regions.

She later admitted doing so was one of the hardest decisions she's had to make as premier to date.

'Yesterday was a very, very difficult day for everybody, for everybody. And I am not embarrassed to say that in public life, yesterday was probably the most difficult day I've had,' she said.

But she felt it was the only way to keep people safe and reduce the risk of transmission after the data proved they're 'still not managing to get the curve of transmission to come down'.

The 810,000 people living in those regions were initially told they cannot leave their suburbs even for work unless they're employed in healthcare, aged care or emergency services until at least July 30.

As the pandemic wears on, some Americans could need booster shots

  As the pandemic wears on, some Americans could need booster shots Some health officials now think a third shot could help older and immunocompromised people. Israel is already offering a third Pfizer shot for immunocompromised residents — though millions of Palestinians in the West Bank and the Gaza Strip have yet to be vaccinated — and Pfizer has previously suggested that a booster shot could be needed in the US. Regulatory questions abound Though the US currently has tens of millions of surplus Covid-19 vaccine doses on hand, making a third Pfizer or Moderna shot available to millions of immunocompromised or elderly Americans likely won’t be a quick process.

Any essential employees who are permitted to leave their suburbs for work are subject to the same restrictions previously in place, namely receiving a negative Covid test every three days.

The announcement sparked frenzied calls to authorities and confusion over other industries which have otherwise been deemed essential.

In response, Ms Berejiklian's team amended the criteria late on Saturday night, extending the parameters to include people working at garden centres, bottle shops and factories.

Delivery drivers, and people who work at supermarkets, newsagents or are required to maintain utilities like gas, electricity, waste management or water are also permitted to leave their locked-down suburbs for work.

In an attempt to ease the financial burden of lockdown on small businesses, Ms Berejiklian also announced a relief package totalling $4billion.

Treasurer Dominic Perrottet said businesses could start applying for the tax-free grants of between $7,500 and $15,000 from Monday.

'There are a range of initiatives available to help small businesses with cashflow, rent costs, electricity and the like,' he said.

The applications will be available on Service NSW and are expected to be processed within five days, but Mr Perrottet warned there could be delays on Monday as people rush to see if they qualify.

'If you contact Service NSW, you will be able to obtain what support packages are available to you. Please access that grant program.'

The grant will be available to NSW businesses that make more than $75,000 and up to $50 million, and have a total annual wages bill of below $10 million.

Read more

Scott Morrison steps down as ‘prime minister for NSW’ .
The public relationship between ScoMo and NSW has always been a complicated one. Now the cracks are starting to show.The prime minister’s repeated praise for how his home state of New South Wales handled the pandemic now looks similarly awkward, with Sydney’s lockdown set to continue possibly well into spring.

usr: 0
This is interesting!