Australia Lockdown extension expected of at least three days as Victoria records nine new cases
NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian is expecting COVID-19 case numbers to rise further. What does this mean for the lockdown?
NSW health authorities expect to announce more than 100 new cases of COVID-19 on Monday. So what does that mean for the Greater Sydney lockdown, which is meant to end on Friday? Here's what we know so far. What's the latest on the outbreak?New South Wales recorded 77 new COVID-19 cases in the 24 hours to 8:00pm on Saturday and its first death since December.Thirty-three of these cases have been out in the community while infectious. Greater Sydney — including the Blue Mountains, Central Coast, Wollongong and Shellharbour — have been in lockdown since the end of June.
Victoria has recorded nine new local cases of coronavirus, on top of four announced on Monday, as the government prepares to announce how long the state's fifth lockdown will be extended.
Authorities received 49,454 tests and 17,083 Victorians received a vaccination dose. There were two new cases in hotel quarantine.
Reported yesterday: 13 new local cases and 2 new cases acquired overseas (currently in HQ).
- 17,083 vaccine doses were administered
- 49,454 test results were received
NSW records 89 new cases, man in his 70s dies
NSW recorded 89 new locally acquired cases of COVID-19 in the last 24 hours, as health authorities warn a Sydney lockdown extension is likely
More later:— VicGovDH (@VicGovDH)
The health department said of the 13 new locally acquired cases, 12 have been linked to the current outbreaks and one is under investigation.
On Monday, a government source speaking on the condition of anonymity said to expect an extension of at least three days but that the lockdown could also be extended into next week.
Premier Daniel Andrews confirmed the state's stay-at-home orders, which had been due to end at 11.59pm on Tuesday, would be extended, but said the length of the extension was still being considered.
Uncertain days ahead as Victoria wakes to fifth lockdown
Victoria is back in lockdown with an uncertain outlook and a ballooning list of possible infection sites extending to supermarkets, shopping centres and major sporting events. © Getty Daniel Andrews. The scrap over COVID-19 support payments has been resolved, in a boost to some Victorian workers, but the bigger battle to track and control a rampant Delta strain "moving more quickly than we have ever seen in Victoria" is just beginning.
Video: Victoria’s lockdown extended for ‘as long as it needs to be’ (Sky News Australia)
Mr Andrews said the government was not shooting for a run of zero cases before lifting restrictions but hoping for no mystery cases and for future cases to be isolated for their infectious period.
"That would be the perfect outcome," he said. "Sometimes you can achieve that, sometimes you can't. If you can't, then you have to make a really challenging risk judgment about … what's the risk if we open up under those circumstances."
Of Monday's 16 cases, one was a contact of a Mildura man who attended a Carlton-Geelong match at the MCG, four dined at the Ms Frankie cafe in Melbourne's Cremorne, one was a contact of a case who travelled to Phillip Island, one is connected to the Young & Jackson pub, two are students at. One of these cases was fully isolated for all of the time they were infectious.
A breakdown of today's COVID-19 news in each state and territory
Saturday saw developments in COVID-19 news around much of the country. Here's a quick guide to what's new.Click on a link below to jump to your state or territory.
It comes as Australian researchers have concluded that federal government research investment largely failed to produce useful findings about the prevention and treatment of COVID-19 and placed too much focus on the now-discredited hydroxychloroquine treatment.
A team of six medical research experts issued the damning indictment of taxpayer-funded COVID-19 research and called for reform of the sector in a paper
In an accompanying comment piece, threethe federal government's signature Medical Research Future Fund spent $6.8 million on seven clinical trials that recruited fewer than 10 people at a cost of hundreds of thousands of dollars per volunteer.
The federal government did not fund trials to address the question of how to encourage people who are vaccine-hesitant to get a COVID-19 jab. Other trials were set up in a way that made it close to impossible for them to provide useful data.
More to come
Victoria lockdown decision expected this morning .
An announcement on whether Victoria will come out of lockdown tonight is just hours away after the state recorded 11 new local cases of coronavirus yesterday. In what is expected to be the state's most cautious lockdown lift yet, schools, beauty businesses, gyms and hospitality venues will be able to reopen their doors from tomorrow, depending on what figures are revealed this morning.A decision is expected to be announced before lunchtime.READ MORE: Anti-lockdown protesters gather in Melbourne CBDWhile the five-kilometre travel rule is expected to be scrapped as well, mask rules will remain for the foreseeable future.