•   
  •   

Australia ‘Real difficulties' in moving Roberts-Smith defamation trial interstate: judge

20:15  24 july  2021
20:15  24 july  2021 Source:   smh.com.au

Willow Smith shaved her head on stage during a punk rock performance of 'Whip My Hair'

  Willow Smith shaved her head on stage during a punk rock performance of 'Whip My Hair' Smith recently revealed to her mother and grandmother that she struggled as a child when "Whip My Hair" first debuted. She said she practiced self-harm after the song became a sensation. "[I] Totally lost my sanity for a moment there. I never talk about it because it was such a short, weird point in my life, but you have to pull yourself out of it," Smith said. "I honestly felt like I was experiencing so much emotional pain, but my physical circumstances weren't reflecting that.


SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - JUNE 09: Ben Roberts-Smith departs the Federal Court of Australia on June 09, 2021 in Sydney, Australia. Ben Roberts-Smith is suing three Fairfax newspapers for defamation over reports he committed war crimes while serving in the Australian Special Air Services in Afghanistan. Ben Roberts-Smith is Australia's most decorated living soldier and a Victoria Cross recipient. (Photo by Sam Mooy/Getty Images): Ben Roberts-Smith Defamation Trial Continues © 2021 Getty Images Ben Roberts-Smith Defamation Trial Continues


The judge presiding over war veteran Ben Roberts-Smith's defamation trial says there are significant obstacles to moving the case interstate to avoid a worsening COVID-19 outbreak in NSW but he has not yet ruled it out.

Mr Roberts-Smith's barrister, Bruce McClintock, SC, has previously asked the Federal Court to consider relocating the trial against The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald to a venue outside NSW, pointing to Adelaide and Canberra as potential alternatives.

Mr McClintock told the court earlier this week that "the stress on my client and the anguish this is causing him is very, very great" and his "life is on hold" until the trial is over.

Former Wales and Hull City boss Mike Smith dies aged 83

  Former Wales and Hull City boss Mike Smith dies aged 83 Smith, the first non-Welshman to manage the national team, led them to the quarter-finals of the 1976 Euros, where they were controversially beaten 3-1 over two legs by Yugoslavia. Fans and Smith's former teams and colleagues paid tribute to Smith and hailed his accomplishments in his career. A statement on the FAW's official website said: 'The Football Association of Wales is saddened to learn that former Cymru manager Mike Smith has passed away, aged 83.

In a scheduling hearing on Friday, Federal Court Justice Anthony Besanko said "at the moment I can see real difficulties with moving the trial," but he would raise the issue with the parties again on Wednesday.

"We might move and then find there's an outbreak in the state that we've moved to," Justice Besanko said. "Generally speaking, I can see some difficulties with that but I'm open to whatever the parties want to put to me."

On Friday, NSW recorded 136 new cases of COVID-19 in the community, a new record during the current outbreak of the highly transmissible Delta strain of the virus. Chief Health Officer Dr Kerry Chant said she had advised the state government that this was a "national emergency".

Justice Besanko last month called a minimum four-week halt to the trial, which had entered the fourth week of what is anticipated to be a run of up to 10 weeks, after Greater Sydney entered into lockdown.

Afghans speak in Roberts-Smith libel trial

  Afghans speak in Roberts-Smith libel trial Four Afghan villagers are set to give evidence about a relative allegedly murdered by Victoria Cross winner Ben Roberts-Smith, who denies any wrongdoing.Ben Roberts-Smith, who denies any wrongdoing, is suing three newspapers over their reporting of the alleged murder in Afghanistan in September 2012 and other accounts his lawyers say paint him as a war criminal.

The trial will resume on Monday for the limited purpose of hearing urgent evidence from four Afghan witnesses in Kabul via audiovisual link, after the newspapers warned there of a risk of a Taliban-led terrorist attack in the capital city. Only the parties and their lawyers will be present in court.

Barrister Nicholas Owens, SC, acting for the media outlets, said "the situation is really quite fluid because at the time Mr McClintock proposed the solution of Adelaide ... it might have looked like the solution" but "Adelaide would now be worse than Sydney" in relation to travel restrictions.

Mr Owens said "we've asked the Commonwealth to indicate how long any move would take to implement and the answer has come back that it would be at least two to three months", meaning the trial could not resume until November, or October "at the absolute earliest".

"There isn't a location the trial can be moved to that is sufficiently certain to provide an advantage over staying in NSW," Mr Owens said.

Mr Roberts-Smith is suing The Age, the Herald and The Canberra Times over a series of stories starting in June 2018 that he alleges accuse him of war crimes and an act of domestic violence against a woman with whom he was having an extramarital affair. He denies all wrongdoing. The media outlets are seeking to rely on a defence of truth.

Ariarne Titmus left Tasmania to chase Olympic glory, will others need to do the same? .
Six years ago, Ariarne Titmus's family packed up their Launceston house and moved to Queensland to chase their daughter's swimming dream. Will the next crop of stars need to follow?If Titmus's Olympic success is anything to go by, the family's gamble to pack up and head to Queensland six years ago to support her career has paid off.

usr: 0
This is interesting!