•   
  •   

Australia NSW to 'see the fruits' of lockdown in coming weeks despite 141 new cases and two deaths

22:54  25 july  2021
22:54  25 july  2021 Source:   abc.net.au

Restrictions tightened in NSW as 111 new local COVID-19 cases recorded

  Restrictions tightened in NSW as 111 new local COVID-19 cases recorded Almost 30 people active in the community for their entire infectious period and more than 82,000 tests conducted.NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian described test numbers as "an outstanding result", however she said that the number of infections in the community is of great concern."We've prevented thousands and thousands of people being exposed to the virus and been infected, but what we haven't managed to do is really budge that stubborn number every day for the last few days where we need to quash this virus," Ms Berejiklian said."It is not good enough for us to tread water which is what we're doing now.

Despite NSW recording 141 new COVID-19 cases and two deaths yesterday, Premier Gladys Berejiklian says she's confident the state will see the fruits of lockdown in coming weeks.

Her comments come as the state enters what is hoped to be the final leg of lockdown and after declarations last week the impact of the harsher restrictions would be felt by now. Residents were also assured a roadmap for post-lockdown on July 30 would be delivered "early this week".

On Sunday, the Premier was again forced to defend her government's strategy after criticism the restrictions weren't working amid fears in the community of an indefinite lockdown.

Victoria wakes to its fifth lockdown. Here's how we got there again

  Victoria wakes to its fifth lockdown. Here's how we got there again Once more, it's a case of deja vu all over again for repeatedly locked-down Victorians, who are asking what went wrong so rapidly.It was only on Sunday that Victoria recorded it's 11th-straight day of zero new cases and Victorians in New South Wales were being urged to hurry home.

She said compared to other countries, NSW had made progress in trying to contain the highly transmissible COVID-19 Delta variant.

"I have absolute confidence that in the coming weeks, all of us will see the fruits of the sacrifices that we've put forward," she said.

"Obviously all of us want to see less case numbers … all you need to do is look at other examples around the world where cities, states, nations have lost complete control, and have thousands and thousands of cases a day."

Thirty-eight of the state's new cases were in the community while infectious and a further 24 cases were in the community for part of their infectious period.

She said it was a positive sign that NSW had managed to stabilise the rate of spread despite the low vaccination rate — enforcing that a combination of restrictions and higher vaccination rates will ultimately pave the way out of lockdown.

Sydney's Covid outbreak is the worst NSW has dealt with to date

  Sydney's Covid outbreak is the worst NSW has dealt with to date Sydney is suffering through its biggest Covid outbreak of the entire pandemic with 1,242 cases in the past month - more than the 1,233 in the entire first wave in February to May 2020.The outbreak which began on June 16 has infected 1,242 people so far, including 105 on Sunday, compared to 1,233 in the first wave from February to May 2020.

"What we have been doing which is encouraging, is not have major outbreaks throughout greater metropolitan Sydney ... the fact that it has been contained in local government areas gives us heart that the strategies in place are working," she said.

Prime Minister Scott Minister who has previously leaned towards lockdown scepticism also weighed-in.

"Let me be clear, there is no alternative to the lockdown in NSW to get this under control," the Prime Minister said.

"There was no other magic bullet that is going to do that. There is no vaccine solution that’s going to do that."

Details are expected this week on what life will look like after the lockdown. The Premier has already indicated that "some" construction work will resume but has refused to be pinned down on what it means for everyone else.

"Over the next few days the NSW government will be doing critical planning on what life beyond 31 July looks like," she said.

The people missing out on COVID-19 disaster recovery payments

  The people missing out on COVID-19 disaster recovery payments Workers and students who have lost paid work in NSW due to the lockdown are missing out on federal COVID disaster payments because they already receive support payments like youth allowance.Almost 400,000 people are on social security payments in locked down Greater Sydney and are not eligible for weekly disaster payments of $375 or $600, despite many losing work in areas like retail and hospitality.

"I want to stress to our citizens that we will always strive to get the right balance. Our first priority is to keep the community safe and healthy, but our priority is to provide any level of freedom we can where and when it is appropriate."

The events over the past few weeks, the Premier said, had provided invaluable information and a "better line of sight" of what to target going forward.

Complicating any road map however, could be Saturday's anti-lockdown protest in Sydney's CBD where 35 people have so far been charged.

The demonstration attended by thousands of Sydneysiders has been described as a potential "superspreader event", and one that left the Premier "absolutely disgusted". Anyone who took part has been urged to get tested.

"Anybody that was there yesterday has a moral responsibility to self-isolate and get tested until a negative [result] return occurs," Police Minister David Elliot said.

"You did the wrong thing yesterday, do the right thing today by your families, get tested and isolate."

The majority of cases continue to be concentrated in the five local government areas of Fairfield, Cumberland, Canterbury-Bankstown, Blacktown and Liverpool. Vaccination efforts will be ramped up in these regions with pharmacies and community hubs being able to administer jabs.

From COVID-19 'gold standard' to ‘a national emergency’ — the five weeks that changed everything

  From COVID-19 'gold standard' to ‘a national emergency’ — the five weeks that changed everything When NSW Treasurer Dominic Perrottet strutted into Parliament to deliver this year's state budget on June 22, the mood was one of unbridled optimism. Just a month later, the outlook is very different — here's how the current COVID-19 crisis played out.The period of coronavirus lockdown induced economic turmoil seemed to be coming to an end, and, as Perrottet declared on budget night, NSW was "open for business".

The death of a woman in her 30s prompted Australian Medical Association (AMA) NSW president, Dr Danielle McMullen to encourage young people to take on board the latest advice from ATAGI, encouraging them to speak to their GPs about getting AstraZeneca.

She also said it was up to all Sydneysiders to stop the spread.

"This escalating crisis in Sydney really does show us that it is a serious illness. We've got people of all ages in hospital," Dr McMullen said.

"And it really is upon all of us as Sydneysiders to do what we can to stop the spread, which means staying at home and getting vaccinated as soon as we possibly can."

One-hundred and forty-one people remain in hospital, with 43 of these in intensive care, and 18 requiring ventilation. A record 102,233 tests were reported yesterday.

[Click through to send us your questions about COVID-19]

Australia's pandemic focus shifts north as south-east Queensland joins Sydney in lockdown .
In the lead-up to the weekend, the nation's pandemic focus was almost solely on New South Wales. But a day after just a single case was recorded in Brisbane, the entire south-east of Queensland was again in lockdown.In the midst of an extended lockdown on the back of an outbreak of the delta variant, the state had reported a record number of new cases on Thursday, with 239 cases confirmed.

usr: 0
This is interesting!