•   
  •   

Australia Newcastle's Muslim community flags group of Greater Sydney COVID-19 breachers

06:38  05 august  2021
06:38  05 august  2021 Source:   abc.net.au

Newcastle stopper Karl Darlow was admitted to hospital with Covid

  Newcastle stopper Karl Darlow was admitted to hospital with Covid Newcastle United goalkeeper Karl Darlow is recovering at home after he was hospitalised with Covid 19 having contracted the virus two weeks ago and suffering dehydration.The Toon stopper contracted the virus around two weeks ago and became increasingly dehydrated, before he was taken into hospital, it has been reported.

As the Hunter region faces a snap, seven-day lockdown, a Newcastle mosque confirms it has turned away a group of people who had travelled from Greater Sydney, in breach of lockdown rules.

Imam Mohamed Hamed from the Sultan-Fatih Mosque in Mayfield said the visit to Newcastle was "unacceptable" and it was worshipers within the local Muslim community who had raised the alarm.

"Some of our community said that they have met some people in shops around Mayfield, around Wallsend, around Jesmond and when they talked to them, they knew they came from Sydney," he said.

"We advised them to report to the police and started to report to public health and also we told them please don't come to the mosque."

Unit block in Sydney's west in lockdown

  Unit block in Sydney's west in lockdown Overnight, a police van was seen parked outside the building in Blacktown and residents were stopped from leaving. READ MORE: Priority vaccine access for hundreds of Sydney supermarket workersBut it remains unclear whether the unit block is in full lockdown with more details expected later this morning.There are 93 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Blacktown.It comes days after Blacktown was listed as one of the five problematic LGAs where COVID-19 cases are growing, with all workers now banned from leaving the area unless they are deemed essential.

The alleged breach of Public Health Orders comes as sewage monitoring in Newcastle detected high viral loads, which suggests there could be undetected cases in the area.

Police attended the Mayfield Mosque on Monday morning and were told about the incident.

They said no breaches were detected and no further action was taken.

Imam Hamed said they were working with the NSW Refugee Health Service to ensure proper protocols were being followed and those in contact with the Sydney group were isolating.

"We're trying our best to close any gates to be a reason of worry or concern to Newcastle and Hunter areas,"he said.

"Delta is so contagious and spreads so [quickly], sometimes without any symptoms, so we need to protect each other."

Newcastle barber on alert amid calls for daily COVID tests for Sydney transport workers

  Newcastle barber on alert amid calls for daily COVID tests for Sydney transport workers A leading epidemiologist says there is a growing risk that Sydney delivery drivers may spread COVID-19 to regions."At first we were just trusting everybody's honesty in doing the right thing and being honest and telling us where they had been," Ms Benson said.

'Terrible betrayal'

Local refugee women's centre Zara's House was shut down in response to the incident last week, which its founder, Sister Diana Santleben, described as a "terrible betrayal".

"All the community is absolutely shattered that someone would behave so irresponsibly as to drive from Sydney to Newcastle, knowing that Newcastle is COVID-free, and put the whole of Newcastle in danger," she said.

"Everyone from the mosque, from the Syrian community, from our volunteers at Zara's House, are just so disappointed in the silliness of the whole thing.

"It's just plain irresponsible, selfish and silly."

The centre provides English classes and group activities but will close indefinitely until the pandemic is under control.

"We cannot have the risk with people with whom we cannot trust," she said.

"It might only be one family or one individual, but that's all it took for one airport driver to bring the entire state to a standstill. And it could happen again here."

Major Newcastle hospital emergency room a COVID-19 exposure site .
An emergency department at a NSW hospital has been listed as a new venue of concern.NSW Health said anyone who visited the John Hunter Hospital from 8.42pm on Thursday, August 5 to 1.50am on Friday, August 6 is considered a close contact.

usr: 0
This is interesting!