•   
  •   

Australia Mystery over how Tas virus case left hotel

05:16  14 october  2021
05:16  14 october  2021 Source:   aap.com.au

Quarantine escapee tests positive in Tas

  Quarantine escapee tests positive in Tas A NSW man who escaped hotel quarantine in Tasmania after arriving without a valid border pass has tested positive to coronavirus. © Ethan James/AAP PHOTOS Tasmanian Premier Peter Gutwein says a man who escaped hotel quarantine tested positive to COVID-19. The 31-year-old is the island state's second active case and just the third recorded there this year. The man flew into Hobart via Melbourne on Monday night and was ordered into hotel quarantine in the Tasmanian capital because he didn't have a valid pass.

Premier Peter Gutwein says security processes are being reviewed. © James Gourley/AAP PHOTOS Premier Peter Gutwein says security processes are being reviewed.

A coronavirus-infected NSW man who entered Tasmania illegally and escaped hotel quarantine in Hobart has been in contact with at least 50 people.

The 31-year-old, who flew into Hobart without a valid pass on Monday night, was arrested by police on Tuesday afternoon after security noticed he wasn't in his room.

Tasmanian Premier Peter Gutwein said CCTV at the Hobart Travelodge quarantine hotel had been reviewed but there was no footage of the man leaving.

He told parliament on Thursday 38 primary close contacts have been identified, including 13 police officers.

Cutting to Ofarim Case in Leipzig: Jewish associations demand harder penalties for anti-Semitism

 Cutting to Ofarim Case in Leipzig: Jewish associations demand harder penalties for anti-Semitism The handling of a hotel with the singer Ofarim horrified wide parts of the company. Associations of laments dissemed Jewish hatred and demand sharper approach. © Photo: Dirk Knofe / DPA Demonstration in Leipzig against anti-Semitism. According to the anti-Semitism allegations against a Leipziger Hotel , the German-Israeli company (DIG) has demanded a sharper punishment of intelligent insults.

There are 12 casual contacts and another 32 people in quarantine awaiting confirmation about whether they were in contact with the man.

Five primary close contacts have so far returned negative tests.

The NSW man returned a positive test on Wednesday morning after his arrest at a premises in Hobart's northern suburbs the day before.

"It's still to be established exactly how the 31-year-old absconded from the Travelodge," Mr Gutwein said.


Video: Family of man who died from COVID-19 urges Victorians to get vaccinated (9News.com.au)

"There are obviously a couple of theories ... but I'm not going to work through those because what I don't want to do is provide ideas in terms of an escape plan."

Scott Morrison says businesses can refuse entry to unvaccinated patrons without falling foul of discrimination laws. Is that correct?

  Scott Morrison says businesses can refuse entry to unvaccinated patrons without falling foul of discrimination laws. Is that correct? Prime Minister Scott Morrison says businesses are able to refuse unvaccinated patrons without falling foul of discrimination laws. Is that correct? RMIT ABC Fact Check investigates. The verdictMr Morrison's claim is not the full story.Experts told Fact Check that businesses have the right to set conditions of entry to their premises, including a requirement to be vaccinated.It's also correct that an unvaccinated person would not be directly protected under discrimination laws at a Commonwealth, state or territory level.

Mr Gutwein said more CCTV cameras were being installed at the hotel and a review of security processes was being undertaken.

The man, who arrived via Melbourne, was placed in hotel quarantine because there were no available flights on Monday night to send him back to NSW.

He was photographed without a mask while being transferred to another Hobart facility.

"This individual is not being cooperative and in fact has been very difficult to deal with," Mr Gutwein said.

"The reason he was not wearing a mask is police, very sensibly, determined it would not be in their best interests to have a physical altercation with the gentlemen to force him to wear a mask.

"This is a very challenging situation."

Two students at Hobart's East Derwent Primary School are among the primary close contacts. They were sent home from school on Wednesday.

Several exposure sites have been declared at Hobart Airport on Monday night.

Tasmania has one other active case, a 15-year-old boy who broke home quarantine in Launceston earlier this month before knowing his test result to visit a supermarket.

More casual contacts linked to Tas case .
The number of casual contacts linked to a coronavirus case in northern Tasmania has grown from 35 to 51, Acting Premier Jeremy Rockliff says.The 15-year-old boy, the island state's second case this year, breached home quarantine in Launceston on Saturday afternoon while infectious to go to an IGA supermarket.

usr: 0
This is interesting!