•   
  •   

Australia Pope must sack Archbishop Philip Wilson, demand abuse survivors

17:22  03 july  2018
17:22  03 july  2018 Source:   theage.com.au

Vatican sentences priest over child porn

  Vatican sentences priest over child porn Former diplomat Carlo Alberto Capello, who was recalled from the US, is given five years in jail.Monsignor Carlo Alberto Capella pleaded guilty at a Vatican court, which heard that dozens of pornographic photos and videos were found on his mobile phone.

Australian Archbishop Philip Wilson arrives for sentencing at Newcastle Local Court in Australia on Tuesday. If Pope Francis doesn't sack the archbishop , he becomes "part of a laughing stock," an advocate for abuse survivors says.

Pope Francis should demand the resignation of Adelaide Archbishop Philip Wilson or sack him, say three people who played key roles in his conviction for concealing the child sex offences of priest Jim Fletcher.

Peter Gogarty who was abused by priest Jim Fletcher.© AAP Peter Gogarty who was abused by priest Jim Fletcher.

Pope Francis should demand the resignation of Adelaide Archbishop Philip Wilson or sack him, say three people who played key roles in his conviction for concealing the child sex offences of priest Jim Fletcher.

Australia’s bishops should also call for his resignation, said survivor advocates Peter Gogarty and Bob O’Toole outside Newcastle Courthouse on Tuesday after Wilson’s 12-month jail sentence, pending an assessment whether it can be served as home detention, made headlines around the world.

“If the archbishop doesn’t resign then the Catholic Church becomes a bigger laughing stock than it already is,” said Mr Gogarty, who was sexually abused by Fletcher.

Calls for Adelaide Archbishop to resign

  Calls for Adelaide Archbishop to resign An number of high profile politicians are calling for Adelaide Archbishop Philip Wilson to resign after he was sentenced for concealing child sex abuse.Philip Wilson, 67, is the most senior Catholic official in the world to be found guilty of such a crime and was earlier this week sentenced to 12 months in jail with a six-month non-parole period.

Pope Francis should demand the resignation of Adelaide Archbishop Philip Wilson or sack him, say three people who played key roles in his conviction for concealing the child sex offences of priest Jim Fletcher.

Prime minister says Wilson must go after being found guilty of concealing child sexual abuse during the 1970s. The Pope has been asked to sack convicted archbishop Philip Wilson , seen here leaving court in Newcastle, Australia.

Abuse survivors Daniel Feenan said he would have preferred to see Wilson leave court in handcuffs© AAP Abuse survivors Daniel Feenan said he would have preferred to see Wilson leave court in handcuffs

“How on earth can somebody who’s been convicted of knowing that children were being abused by a Catholic priest remain a bishop? If the archbishop doesn’t resign the Pope needs to sack him. If the Pope won’t do it he becomes part of a laughing stock.”

Anthea Halpin, whose documents about another Hunter child sex offender priest, Denis McAlinden, were the starting point for a police investigation that eventually led to Wilson being charged, said Wilson should have resigned when he was convicted in May, and the Pope should have acted then.

Anthea Halpin's evidence played a crucial part in the investigation.© AAP Anthea Halpin's evidence played a crucial part in the investigation.

Mrs Halpin said she was disappointed Wilson might serve his sentence in his sister’s home on the Central Coast rather than jail, but was happy that magistrate Robert Stone rejected Wilson’s lawyer’s submission that a good behaviour bond was a suitable penalty.

'Dark secret': child abuse survivor's plea to Pope

  'Dark secret': child abuse survivor's plea to Pope Child sexual abuse survivor Peter Gogarty has written to the Pope with a plea for him to sack Archbishop Philip Wilson , and an offer to discuss the reasons why over the phone.Mr Gogarty has included his mobile phone number in a letter to Pope Francis after Wilson refused to resign following a jail sentence for concealing Catholic priest Jim Fletcher’s child sex crimes. He intends to appeal the conviction.

Philip Edward Wilson (born 2 October 1950) is a retired Australian bishop who was the eighth Roman Catholic Archbishop of Adelaide from 2001 to 2018. He was President of the Australian Catholic Bishops ' Conference from 2006 to 2010.

READ MORE: * Pope must sack Archbishop Philip Wilson , abuse survivors demand * New bishop replaces convicted Australian cleric.

Wilson, 67, was pale as he stood in the courtroom shortly after 10.40am on Tuesday to learn his sentence.

'Dark secret': child abuse survivor's plea to Pope

  'Dark secret': child abuse survivor's plea to Pope Child sexual abuse survivor Peter Gogarty has written to the Pope with a plea for him to sack Archbishop Philip Wilson , and an offer to discuss the reasons why over the phone. Credit Cards Are Now Offering 0% Interest Until 2020 Find out more on Finder Sponsored by Finder.com.au Mr Gogarty has included his mobile phone number in a letter to Pope Francis after Wilson refused to resign following a jail sentence for concealing Catholic priest Jim Fletcher’s child sex crimes. He intends to appeal the conviction.

READ MORE: * Pope must sack Archbishop Philip Wilson , abuse survivors demand * New bishop replaces convicted Australian cleric.

Share: The Catholic Church will be ridiculed unless it takes action against convicted archbishop , survivors say.

Archbishop Philip Wilson leaves court after sentencing on Tuesday.© AAP Archbishop Philip Wilson leaves court after sentencing on Tuesday.

Magistrate Stone found Wilson’s primary motive for failing to tell police in 2004 about alleged offences by Fletcher in the 1970s was to protect the church, and he had shown no remorse or contrition.

Mr Stone said he was “firmly of the opinion that a sentence of imprisonment is the only appropriate sentence”, after acknowledging the “public outcry and outrage over what has transpired by way of abuse and concealment, not only by the Catholic Church, but other major religious organisations and other associations”.

The extent of child sexual abuse and its concealment “affects the fabric of our society and we are all the poorer for what has occurred”, Mr Stone said.

“The whole of the community is devastated in so many ways by the decades of abuse and its concealment by people they trusted and respected.

“Those who conceal abuse and shield perpetrators from accountability … are demonstrating that you are placing the needs of the perpetrator as a higher priority over the needs of victims and their families,” Mr Stone said.

Comment: David Leyonhjelm blocked me and I couldn't be happier

  Comment: David Leyonhjelm blocked me and I couldn't be happier There must be a word for the special feeling you get when someone whose politics you despise has blocked you on Twitter.As to the Senator Hanson-Young’s legal pursuit of Leyonhjelm, a crowd-funding account has been set up to cover her legal fees, with any money left over and won back to be donated to women’s refuge and empowerment programs.

Pope must sack Archbishop Philip Wilson , demand abuse survivors . Hanson-Young demands apology and compensation from Leyonhjelm. Philip Wilson to step down as Archbishop of Adelaide after conviction, but refuses. Calls for Pope Francis to sack Adelaide Archbishop Philip Wilson

Abuse survivors react to Archbishop Wilson 's sentence – video. Archbishop Philip Wilson will not resign after child sexual abuse cover-up conviction. The Archdiocese cannot remove Wilson from his role – only Pope Francis has the authority.

“In this case the offender is a senior figure in one of the most respected institutions in our society. What has occurred is the infliction of gross acts of sexual abuse on people who were young, defenceless and vulnerable, committed for sexual gratification.”

People of “simple faith” who respected and trusted their local parish priest were “betrayed most callously and cruelly … not only by the perpetrator but, as in this case, by those who knew and concealed it”.

Maitland-Newcastle Catholic Bishop Bill Wright said the Cessnock-born archbishop’s conviction was a “source of great grief and shock to the Catholic community here” and was also a deep shock to him personally.

“It is a deep shock and disappointment that this man has been found guilty of covering up abuse” and a “highly disturbing reflection on the archbishop”.

Bishop Wright said the Catholic community felt grief for the two teenage boys who reported abuse by Fletcher to the then Father Wilson in 1976.

“Their trust was betrayed when no effective action was taken and they were deprived of the care they should have received at the time,” Bishop Wright said.

There was also grief for other boys who were subsequently abused by Fletcher, including Mr Gogarty and Daniel Feenan, whose report to police in 2003 eventually led to Fletcher’s conviction, Bishop Wright said. Fletcher died in jail in 2006.

Ipswich City Council to be sacked once Government passes new laws

  Ipswich City Council to be sacked once Government passes new laws The Queensland Government will draft laws specifically to sack Ipswich City Council and bring in administrators, in the wake of councillors taking it to court to stall the process.It comes after the council moved to prevent its sacking by taking Local Government Minister Stirling Hinchliffe to court over his previous attempts to have it dismissed.

Archbishop of Adelaide Philip Wilson was found guilty of concealing historical child sexual abuse . He was sentenced in July. Malcolm Turnbull says pope must sack disgraced Australian archbishop Philip Wilson .

By Colin Packham SYDNEY (Reuters) - Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said on Thursday that Pope Francis must sack an Australian archbishop convicted of concealing child sex abuse . In May, Archbishop Philip Wilson , 67

In a statement the Australian Catholic Bishops Conference said it hoped Wilson’s custodial sentence “brings some sense of peace and healing to those abused by deceased priest James Fletcher”.

“It takes great courage for survivors to come forward to tell their stories. Survivors have been vital in helping us learn the lesson of our shameful history of abuse and concealment, which was laid bare in the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse and state inquiries, including the NSW Special Commission of Inquiry” in Newcastle in 2013.

NSW Greens MP and justice spokesperson David Shoebridge said Wilson’s conviction and sentence required a strong response from the Catholic Church.

“If this does not finally prompt the Catholic Church to sack the archbishop then there really is no hope for the institution,” said Mr Shoebridge, who said home detention “hardly seems appropriate given the gross breach of trust and the proven illegality”.

It was difficult for many survivors to accept, but “whatever its limits, Wilson’s sentencing is historic and finally sees a church leader held to account”, he said.

Mr O’Toole and Mr Gogarty said the conviction and sentence made history in Australia and around the world.

“What this says is nobody – particularly in Australia but I hope this ripples around the world - nobody is above the law,” Mr Gogarty said.

Both men expect more people within the Catholic Church and beyond to be charged with conceal offences.

“We’ve heard evidence from people in the past few years who may be nervous now and that’s appropriate, I think they should be nervous,” Mr Gogarty said.

“We’ve made history here in Australia. The highest ranked church official to ever be brought to account for what we know was a worldwide systematic abuse of children and concealment of that abuse.

“So I’m content that we’ve done something in Australia that nobody else has been able to manage.”

Archbishop Wilson was released on bail until a final hearing in August after he is assessed for whether he can serve the 12-month jail sentence as home detention.

Mr Gogarty, Mr O’Toole and Mrs Halpin said they expected Wilson to serve a jail sentence if an assessment finds home detention is not appropriate.

Outside the court Mr Feenan said he would have preferred to see Wilson leave court in handcuffs, but he was pleased with the 12-month jail sentence.

“He is the most senior Catholic to ever be charged and he is actually giving him 50 per cent of the maximum term. That is groundbreaking in itself,” Mr Feenan said.

'Still so taboo': Abuse survivor makes podcast to heal family pain .
Raquel O'Brien interviews her relatives, including her brother ex-AFL star Heritier Lumumba (formerly Harry O'Brien), about their trauma.After a lifetime of repression and denial, the 25-year-old childhood sexual abuse survivor has created the podcast Silent Waves in an attempt to address and heal the traumas that haunt her family.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!