•   
  •   

Australia Fungus fears after Melbourne hospital patient gets superbug infection

06:30  07 august  2018
06:30  07 august  2018 Source:   theage.com.au

Parramatta Eels players and staff reportedly swabbed for boils; fears of staph infection

  Parramatta Eels players and staff reportedly swabbed for boils; fears of staph infection When it rains, it pours - but this is just absurd.Yes.

An elderly Victorian man has been been placed in isolation after he was diagnosed with a rare and deadly superbug at a Melbourne hospital . The man has been infected with a fungus called Candida auris, or C. auris, which is highly resistant to treatment and can cause serious infections in wounds

A local patient infected with a " superbug " fungus died from "complex medical issues" several weeks after coming to Rochester General Hospital The man, aged in his 70s, who was at the Melbourne hospital being treated for another condition, is likely to have contracted the bug at a hospital in the

An example of a superbug.© Supplied An example of a superbug. An elderly Victorian man has been been placed in isolation after he was diagnosed with a rare and deadly superbug at a Melbourne hospital.

The man has been infected with a fungus called Candida auris, or C. auris, which is highly resistant to treatment and can cause serious infections in wounds, the bloodstream and ears.

Looking to buy?
How To Get A Home Loan With 5% Deposit
Find out more on Finder
Sponsored by Finder.com.au

Victoria’s deputy chief health officer Dr Brett Sutton said it was the first known case of the superbug in the state.

“The Department of Health and Human Services is working very closely with health services and public health laboratories to take a ‘search and destroy’ approach to ensure it does not spread ... or cause an outbreak,” Dr Sutton said.

Truck driver charged after fiery M1 crash leaves two dead

  Truck driver charged after fiery M1 crash leaves two dead A truck driver has been charged over a fiery crash on the M1 that left two people dead and five others in hospital.A truck driver has been charged over a fiery crash on the M1 that left two people dead and five others in hospital on Tuesday.

An elderly Victorian man has been been placed in isolation after he was diagnosed with a rare and deadly superbug at a Melbourne hospital . The man has been infected with a fungus called Candida auris, or C. auris, which is highly resistant to treatment and can cause serious infections in wounds

A deadly " superbug " fungus that is hard to spot and harder to kill is slowly infiltrating U.S. hospitals The CDC says patients in the intensive care unit for a long time and patients who have a catheter placed The fungus has caused bloodstream, wound and ear infections . It also has been found in

The man, aged in his 70s, who was at the Melbourne hospital being treated for another condition, is likely to have contracted the bug at a hospital in the UK.

“The man was isolated as soon as the diagnosis was made and intense cleaning and disinfection has occurred," Dr Sutton said.

“Routine screening of other patients on the hospital ward will now take place, although it is unlikely that others have been exposed because the patient was cared for in a single room."

The health department said C. auris was much less common than other types of candida, such as Candida albicans which can cause yeast infections, including vaginal thrush.

However, C. auris can cause problems in hospitals and nursing homes as it can spread from one patient to another or via objects.

Elderly or unwell patients who have been in contact with the fungus can develop severe and potentially fatal infections.  However, most healthy people will not become sick and should not be concerned.

Discovered in 2009, C. auris has spread quickly and caused infections in more than a dozen countries.

A Chief Health Officer’s alert has been issued advising health services of the steps clinicians can take if they suspect a patient may be affected.

Canberra norovirus cases on the rise as concerns raised over hospital infection control .
An elderly couple believe they contracted the highly contagious norovirus — the world's leading cause of gastroenteritis — because infection protocols were breached at the Canberra Hospital.Robert Dew, 74, and his wife Julie, 72, said they were visiting an elderly friend last week who had contracted the virus.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!