Australia: Queensland shark response to be discussed - PressFrom - Australia
  •   
  •   

AustraliaQueensland shark response to be discussed

21:53  08 november  2018
21:53  08 november  2018 Source:   msn.com

Shark bites man in Cid Harbour area where two attacks occurred in September

Shark bites man in Cid Harbour area where two attacks occurred in September Emergency crews are responding to reports of another shark attack near Cid Harbour off the north Queensland coast, the same area where two other people were attacked by sharks in September.

Queensland Shark Control Program manager Jeff Krause described the attacks as “unprecedented”. Tasmanian woman Justine Barwick had been snorkelling when she However, Whitsunday MP Jason Costigan last night called for drumlines to be permanently set in popular spots in the Whitsundays. In response to September's shark attacks, Australian authorities have

Queensland ’s government will try to work out how best to prevent swimmers being mauled by sharks in the Whitsundays at a special meeting with experts Gold Coast man wins m jackpot. ‘Laziness is not disabled’. Queensland shark response to be discussed . ‘Heroic’ flight attendant goes viral. Coup Libs must be held responsible, says Pyne.

Queensland shark response to be discussed© AAP A roundtable of government and industry figures will be held in Queensland's Whitsundays region following a fatal shark attack, the third in two months. Queensland's government will try to work out how best to prevent swimmers being mauled by sharks in the Whitsundays at a special meeting with experts in the region.

It comes after Daniel Christidis, 33, died on Monday after being bitten by a shark at Cid Harbour on the first day of a yachting holiday with friends and colleagues.

It was the third serious attack there in the past two months after Tasmanian woman Justine Barwick and Victorian 12-year-old Hannah Papps were bitten in separate incidents in September.

Man in hospital after shark attack near Ballina

Man in hospital after shark attack near Ballina A 43-year-old man took himself to hospital with a gash to his left calf following a shark attack. The man was then taken to Lismore Base Hospital in a stable condition, a hospital spokeswoman confirmed. Police remained on Shelly Beach and were liaising with Surf Life Savers and the Department of Primary Industries. The beach remains closed. The Shelly Beach incident comes just days after a Victorian man was killed in a shark attack in Queensland. Daniel Christidis, 33, was sharing a paddleboard with a female friend in Cid Harbour in the Whitsundays when he was attacked about 5.

Extraordinary photographs that revealed a baby humpback whale caught in a shark net on the Gold The baby humpback in the photographs was freed by a rescue and response team on Tuesday. “The public has a right to see the true cost of the Queensland government’s shark culling program It’s what makes us different to so many others

In response to the attacks, LNP Member for the Queensland seat of Hinkler Keith Pitt wants sharks to be culled in the region. "I've had local fishos telling Mr Furner will join Tourism Minister Kate Jones on Friday for a meeting with experts to discuss how to best manage shark populations in the area. Katter Australian Party's Queensland leader Robbie Katter said Mr

Tourism Minister Kate Jones and Fisheries Minister Mark Furner will meet with local tourism operators and marine experts, as well as the Whitsundays council, in Airlie Beach on Friday.

Putting in drum lines to catch sharks has already been ruled out as potentially giving people a false sense of security, despite accusations from the opposition the government is risking lives.

The government's only response to this tragedy has been a talkfest," Opposition Leader Deb Frecklington said on Thursday.

"Why does the Whitsundays not have a shark control, program? It's good enough on the Gold Coast, it's good enough on the Sunshine Coast, it's good enough for areas like Mackay."

The LNP opposition wants a parliamentary review in the wake of the incidents.

Mr Furner said the shark control program elsewhere was "highly successful" but there are no plans to extend it.

The government is installing signs warning people not to swim at Cid Harbour.

Shark attack off Arnhem Land leaves 17-year-old boy hospitalised with arm injuries.
A 17-year-old boy sustains "significant injuries" after he was attacked by a reef shark while spearfishing off Nhulunbuy, around 970 kilometres east of Darwin.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 0
This is interesting!