Australia: Don Burke sued for defamation by woman over comments in TV interview - PressFrom - Australia
  •   
  •   

AustraliaDon Burke sued for defamation by woman over comments in TV interview

21:53  08 november  2018
21:53  08 november  2018 Source:   abc.net.au

Heather Locklear Sued for Assault After Allegedly Attacking EMT

Heather Locklear Sued for Assault After Allegedly Attacking EMT The 'Melrose Place' star is also facing three misdemeanor charges from her June arrest.

© ABC News Don Burke has denied claims he asked former children's entertainer Wendy Dent to A statement of defence filed to the court says Mr Burke 's comments in the interview were TV gardening personality Don Burke has called in a top defamation lawyer over mystery allegations.

Don Burke begs for forgiveness for his 'stupidity' after bombshell sexual assault and harassment claims - but says he's the victim of a 'witch hunt'.

Don Burke sued for defamation by woman over comments in TV interview© ABC News Don Burke has denied claims he asked former children's entertainer Wendy Dent to audition topless.

A woman who alleges she was sexually harassed by former Channel 9 star Don Burke is suing him for defamation.

Wendy Dent told the ABC last year Mr Burke asked her to audition topless for a role on his popular gardening show, Burke's Backyard.

"I went from feeling like this talent with a future to feeling like I was just a pair of boobs to him," she said.

In an interview with Channel 9's A Current Affair program in November last year, Mr Burke denied the claims.

Ms Dent alleges Mr Burke had defamed her because he had implied she lied and that she was part of a "witch hunt" against him.

'Deeply sorry': Rebel Wilson apologises for plus-size claim

'Deeply sorry': Rebel Wilson apologises for plus-size claim "I now realise what I said was not only wrong but also incredibly hurtful," the actress wrote on Twitter.

Former children's entertainer Wendy Dent alleges Don Burke defamed her in an interview with Channel 9's A Current Affair last year by implying she was part of a witch hunt against him.

Former children's entertainer Wendy Dent alleges Don Burke defamed her in an interview with Channel 9's A Current Affair last year.

High-profile barrister Stuart Littlemore QC is representing Ms Dent.

In statement of claim filed in the court, lawyers for Ms Dent allege Mr Burke defamed her when he told A Current Affair: "These things didn't happen".

Final arguments in Rush defamation trial

Final arguments in Rush defamation trial Actor Geoffrey Rush's legal team is expected to submit its final closing arguments in the defamation trial against a newspaper. The final attempts to convince a judge actor Geoffrey Rush was unfairly painted as a sexual predator by a series of news articles are expected to be heard by the Federal Court in Sydney. Rush's lawyers are scheduled to finish giving their final submissions in the judge-alone defamation trial on Friday. The Oscar-winning actor is suing The Daily Telegraph publisher Nationwide News and journalist Jonathon Moran over two articles and a newsagent poster published in 2017.

Don Burke sued by woman who alleged he sexually harassed her: Two men on the run after woman sexually Over the phone Burke was flattering, telling Ms Dent she had "real charisma" and great potential. "'You definitely have got what it takes for TV ,' he told her and, what's more, he was 'the No

Former US Senate candidate Roy Moore is suing the British comedian Sacha Baron Cohen for defamation after falling victim to a TV show prank. A spokeswoman for Showtime said it did not comment on pending litigation. I don 't support this kind of stuff." He then walks out.

The claim alleges Ms Dent had been, "greatly injured in her credit, reputation and occupation and has been brought into public scandal, odium and contempt".

It also alleges Mr Burke made, "deliberately false attribution of blame to herself [Ms Dent] and his other victims".

Ms Dent is seeking damages and aggravated damages from Mr Burke.

She is not suing Channel 9.

Mr Burke is defending the action on the grounds of truth and qualified privilege.

A statement of defence filed to the court says Mr Burke's comments in the interview were reasonable because they were, "merely responding to Ms Dent's public and repeated attacks on him".

The statement says Mr Burke never spoke to Ms Dent about an audition for a role on his TV show.

It alleges the claims by Ms Dent and four other women who were interviewed by ABC News, "were false and generated adverse publicity" against him.

"It can therefore be inferred that the plaintiff was motivated by a desire to join a witch hunt against the defendant when she lied in making the false allegations against the defendant," the statement reads.

Channel 9 published the interview with Mr Burke, "pursuant to a social and moral duty to do so … to inform the public of the charges and the reply," the statement says.

The case is expected to be heard next year.

Rebel Wilson High Court bid rejected.
Lawyers for actor Rebel Wilson have had an application to the High Court for leave to appeal in her defamation case against Bauer Media rejected.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 0
This is interesting!