Entertainment Morgan Wallen's radio ban cracks as Knoxville station plays his music
Trump's Damage to a Cold War Icon
The previous administration’s partisan takeover of America’s international broadcasters failed. What’s to prevent a future administration from trying again?Within days of the Senate’s June 2020 confirmation of Michael Pack, a conservative filmmaker nominated by Trump to run the agency, the portrait was removed and the quotation painted over. Steve Capus, Lansing’s former senior adviser, told me it was “a petty move”—a precursor of the changes to come.
Morgan Wallen's radio ban in the wake of his racial slur controversy may have begun to crack after a station in his hometown began playing his music again.
Knoxville, Tennessee's WMYL-FM began putting Wallen's music on the air again after a Facebook poll created by the station showed 92 percent of respondents wanted his music back on the air,reported on Monday.
The 27-year-old country singer was banned from many radio stations across the country and several streaming platforms afterposted video of him drunkenly shouting the N-word on February 2.
South Australia announces timeline for single-use-plastic ban
From March 1, the sale, supply and distribution of single-use plastic straws, cutlery and stirrers will be banned throughout South Australia. © Provided by Smart Company single-use-plastic ban Southport Surf Life Saving Club president Richard Olesinski said Surf Life Saving South Australia had already been implementing the changes in the past year. Prior to the single-use-plastic ban legislation, 21 surf life-saving clubs had signed up as a collective ‘plastic-free precinct’ as part of a 2019 state government initiative to encourage locations to go single-use-plastic-free.
WMYL says that 35,000 respondents voted in the poll about his possible return to the radio.
However, online polls are notoriously unscientific, as anyone with access to it can vote, and people infuriated by Wallen's ban may be more likely to seek it out and vote.
WMYL's station owner, Ron Meredith, may have also compromised the poll after he said that keeping Wallen's music off the radio would amount being 'in the censorship business.'
'We were disappointed by the behavior in the video,' Meredith said in a statement released when the poll was announced. 'But we were also uncomfortable with sitting in judgment.
Facebook lifts ban on Aussie news sites
Australia's 13 million Facebook users are finally able to view local news on their feeds again.As of 1am AEDT this morning, Australia's 13 million Facebook users were finally able to view local news on their feeds again after the social media giant reached an agreement with the Federal Government over its new media code.
'If you’ve lived long enough, you probably have said at one point or another you were glad video and social media wasn’t everywhere when you were young and did stupid things. While nobody liked the behavior, we are a radio station — not in the censorship business,' he continued.
Gallery: The 20 worst Beatles songs (Espresso)
'We changed the music on our station last year so it focuses now only on what East Tennessee country fans like. So, this situation is like being between a rock and a hard place. We felt uncomfortable with all the different institutions making decisions for country listeners. We didn’t want to do that at 96.7 Merle.'
Bono listened to the Backstreet Boys in his car
U2 frontman Bono used to listen to Backstreet Boys in his car, according to his daughter.The U2 frontman used to embarrass his kids – Jordan, 31, Eve, 29, Elijah, 21, and John, 19, who he has with wife Ali Hewson – when on the school run, thanks to his choice of music and unusual outfits.
Meredith didn't reply to requests for comment from Radio Ink after the station started playing Wallen's music again.
Despite one station publicly returning to playing his songs, major chains including iHeartMedia, Cumulus, Beasly and Entercom have all indefinitely banned Wallen, and they haven't given any indication yet how long that ban will last.
Many streaming platforms followed suit and took Wallen off their front pages and removed his music from playlists, though fans could still search for him music and listen.
However, Spotify appears to have been one of the first streaming services to break ranks by returning his music to its influential Country Coffeehouse playlist, according to.
The playlist boasts and impressive 600,000 followers.
Wallen's use of the N-word, which was condemned by many other country stars, didn't stop Spotify from playing to his popularity by releasing 'an exclusive "enhanced" version' of his LP Dangerous: The Double Album shortly after the news broke in February.
Piers Morgan launches on-air tirade against Harry and Meghan's Oprah interview
Piers Morgan has lashed out at Prince Harry and Meghan Markle over their upcoming tell-all interview with Oprah Winfrey, calling it "incredibly distasteful" in the light of Prince Philip's hospitalisation and the coronavirus pandemic. It was during a segment on ITV's Good Morning Britain which Morgan, 55, hosts with Susanna Reid that Morgan made his feelings known, later publishing a Daily Mail column detailing his feels about the pair. On Good
The singer made a public apology video on February 10, but industry insiders surveyed byguessed that he might have to lie low for six months to a year before returning to the public eye, assuming he's judged to be contrite.
Wallen's new album has continued to sell well among fans who don't care or are sympathetic to his use of the N-word.
So far, Dangerous has made an impressive seven-week run at the top of the Billboard 200 album chart, though Ben Sisario atsuggests part of its success is because there have been few blockbuster albums released in recent weeks that could compete with it.
After Wallen uttered the racist slur, his label Big Loud announced it was 'suspending' him indefinitely, but the label is still raking in money, estimated at seven figures, from his streaming haul.
Wallen's country music ban also extends to award shows, including the Academy of Country Music Awards, which announced that he had been banned from the telecast and had been disqualified from receiving any nominations, even though the first round of voting had already commenced.
Piers Morgan's Co-host Speaks Out in First Show Since His Departure .
Piers Morgan's Good Morning Britain co-host Susanna Reid has spoken out on his departure from the show after he questioned the veracity of Meghan Markle's claims during the Oprah interview.Susanna Reid, who has presented alongside Morgan on the ITV breakfast program for five years, said it is "certainly going to be very different" without him as she made a statement during the first show since his departure on Tuesday.