•   
  •   

MoneyMiner BHP expects one-week recovery after Australian train derailment

01:31  08 november  2018
01:31  08 november  2018 Source:   reuters.com

When a runaway train crashes in the WA desert, its impact is felt around the world

When a runaway train crashes in the WA desert, its impact is felt around the world Monday morning started like any other for iron ore giant BHP. Then things went catastrophically wrong. That morning, four locomotives on BHP ore service M02712 were pulling 268 wagons fully laden with about 20,000 tonnes of iron ore north to Port Hedland along the company's private Newman-to-Port Hedland rail line. The service stopped near Hesta Siding, 150 kilometres north of Newman. While it's not clear why or when the train stopped, the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) confirmed the driver had left the train to inspect an issue with an ore car. While the driver was off the train, it began moving.

BHP has suspended all rail operations in Western Australia after a runaway train laden with iron No one was injured. The Australian Transport Safety Bureau said damage to the train was “ Recovery operations are under way.” BHP ’s WA rail operations are expected to resume in about a week .

Mining giant BHP Billiton was forced to deliberately derail a 268-car freight train , loaded with iron ore, after it had traveled an alarming 92km across Western Australia with no one on board. “A Western Australia iron ore train has been derailed near Turner on route to Port Hedland this morning.

Miner BHP expects one-week recovery after Australian train derailment© Reuters/David Gray FILE PHOTO: Worker walks near conveyer belts loaded with iron ore at the Fortescue Solomon iron ore mine located in the Valley of the Kings, Western Australia Global miner BHP Billiton expects its operations in Western Australia to take around a week to recover after a nearly 3km long train loaded with iron ore en route to the coast for export was forcibly derailed on Monday.

The derailment came after the train ran away at high speed for nearly 100 kilometres. Nobody was injured in the incident, which happened in a remote area.

"We are working with the appropriate authorities to investigate the situation ... Recovery operations are underway," BHP said in a statement on Wednesday.

Sydney train line closed after freight train derails at Minto

Sydney train line closed after freight train derails at Minto Sydney commuters on the T8 Airport & South line are being urged to allow more travel time after a train partially left its tracks this morning. Sydney commuters on the T8 Airport & South line are being urged to allow more travel time after a train partially A spokesperson from the Transport Management Centre advised that a freight train had partially derailed at Minto this morning, closing the T8 line from Glenfield to Macarthur in that direction only. Buses will replace these services but are yet to arrive on the scene.

A freight train was deliberately derailed after hurtling through Western Australia at high speed for The 268-wagon train , owned by mining giant BHP , travelled for 92km (57 miles) with no- one on "While the driver was outside of the locomotive, the train commenced to run away," the Australian

BHP Billiton said it had suspended all its iron ore rail operations in Western Australia on Monday after a train The Australian newspaper had earlier reported that BHP had suspended rail operations in the The accident is likely to raise safety concerns about miners ’ plans to bring driverless trains to

The miner estimates that around 1.5 kilometres of train track has been damaged.

BHP will rely on its stockpile reserves at Port Headland to maintain operations at the export hub, it said, without commenting on any potential impact to shipments.

"Investors are keeping one eye on the developments in the Pilbara after BHP announced it had halted all rail operations," ANZ bank said in a report.

"For the moment, it says it can continue exporting iron ore via its stockpiles at the port. However, any delays to the repairs could put this at risk."

Australia's Transport Safety Bureau said that a probe into the incident was underway on Monday. It is expected to release a report in the second quarter of 2019.

Goodwin gets Socceroos call-up, but only as a train-on player.
Socceroos coach Graham Arnold has named a 23-man squad to face South Korea, with an extra four players, including Craig Goodwin, to join the team in training.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!