Sport Fans played role in Holden demise: Dane
Holden to be axed from Australia by the end of 2020
Approximately 600 jobs will be lost as General Motors completely disbands Holden's presence in Australia.Holden's global parent company General Motors has decided to retreat from right-hand drive vehicles internationally, informing Holden staff and dealers at midday today.
The boss of Holden's factory-backed Supercars team says fans of the Red Lion had a role to play in the motoring brand's demise.
Holden's parent company General Motors has announced it will "retire" the iconic Australian brand by the end of the year.
Years of declining sales drove the American automotive giant to make the call and Red Bull Holden Racing Team boss Roland Dane said flag-waving Holden fans on the track were partially responsible for the outcome.
Canberra 'very disappointed' with Holden
Federal Industry Minister Karen Andrews says she's "very disappointed" with Holden's decision to quit the Australian market altogether.General Motors on Monday announced it was retiring the Holden brand from sales in both Australia and New Zealand after the company ceased local manufacturing in 2017.
In pictures: the history of Holden (Autocar)
"Unfortunately, one of the issues is, an awful lot of the people that have been barracking for the Holden brand over the last 10 years or so haven't actually been buying the product," Dane said.
"For whatever reason. It's a fact of life that people have been turning up to watch the races in other brands and one we're all very aware of.
"Times change and we've got to change with them."
The decision has left Dane seeking urgent talks with Holden bosses to work out his team's future arrangements in the championship.
Red Bull signed a two-year extension on their deal with Holden last year, taking them through to the end of the 2021 championship but it's almost certain that support won't extend into next year.
As the team featuring championship-winning drivers Jamie Whincup and Shane Van Gisbergen prepare for this weekend's season-opening Adelaide 500, Dane was confident morale hadn't been affected by the news.
"I've certainly made them aware of what's going on and I hope they believe in me and they'll wait and see what happens," he said.
'It brought tears to my eyes': Veteran Holden worker devastated .
The tragedy of Holden Australia's demise is reverberating through local dealerships as they re-evaluate how they can remain in business. The car-maker made the shock closure announcement yesterday, devastating 84-year-old veteran worker Cecil Lieschke who has lived and breathed the brand for 69 years.Holden dealership Lieschke Motors is the oldest family business in the Holbrook region, run by four generations since 1923. © Nine Holden dealer veteran Cecil Lieschke is devastated about the brand's closure.
Inspiring dancer Andrew leaves Cheryl in floods of tears - The Greatest Dancer | Auditions
Subscribe and to OFFICIAL BBC YouTube https://bit.ly/2IXqEIn Stream original BBC programmes FIRST on BBC iPlayer https://bbc.in/2J18jYJ ...
FIRST LOOK: Amanda and Paul play 'Holden the Rug' | BGMT 2018
Long-time rivals Amanda Holden and Paul Potts are fierce competitors and take racing on their bums very seriously.. Check out this hilarious clip from the ...