Sport Aussie IPL contingent land in Sydney
Aussie IPL stars wait for return date
Australia's Indian Premier League stars will be following updates from the federal government with interest as they hope to shore up a return from the Maldives.The ongoing wait comes after South Africa's director of cricket Graeme Smith, still furious about Australia's recent reluctance to play in his homeland, accused some players of having "double standards".
The vast majority of Australia's 38-strong Indian Premier League contingent has arrived in Sydney, almost two weeks after the Twenty20 tournament was suspended because of COVID-19.
Players, coaches and commentators were on board a charter flight from the Maldives that touched down in the NSW capital on Monday morning.
Former Test batsman Mike Hussey, who remained in India to self-isolate after contracting the coronavirus, is expected to arrive later on Monday via a commercial flight from Qatar.
Finish IPL in England this September, says Kevin Pietersen
Cricket's most lucrative tournament was indefinitely brought to a halt earlier this week due to India's raging coronavirus pandemic crisis, which had infiltrated the supposedly bio-secure environment created for the IPL. With no clear plan as to when and how the tournament could continue, Pietersen insisted the UK in September would be perfect, especially because India will have just completed a Test series against England.
The cricketers will spend a fortnight in NSW's hotel-quarantine system, with no exemptions and concessions.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison flagged on Sunday the "NSW government is happy for them to come in over the cap (on return travellers)".
The IPL was halted on May 4 because of COVID-19 cases among players and support staff.
Australians involved in the event travelled to the Maldives on May 6 via a charter flight that was organised and funded by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI).
The group's journey home was stalled by Australia's ban on travellers from India but Morrison, speaking on Sunday, all but confirmed their imminent return.
"They haven't been given any (special dispensation)," the prime minister said.
Ashley Giles will not allow England commitments to play second fiddle to IPL
Ben Stokes, Jofra Archer and Jos Buttler could find themselves involved in a calendar clash. © Getty Images The 2021 IPL was postponed last week as a result of the country’s coronavirus crisis, leaving 31 of the lucrative tournament’s matches unfulfilled and leading to speculation of a mid-September resumption. That time-frame would be particularly tight for the competition’s England contingent, who have white-ball trips to Pakistan and Bangladesh slated between the end of the domestic summer and the T20 World Cup in October.
"NSW government is happy for them to come in over the cap. That's something we insisted upon and they were happy to agree with that.
"But they'll come back under their own steam, on their own ticket.
"They won't be taking the spot in quarantine of any other Australian who is returning home under the NSW caps.
"We appreciate the fact that the NSW government and Gladys Berejiklian in particular has been so strong in supporting those higher caps, but in this case, ensuring that when the cricketers come back they don't take the spot of anybody else."
The BCCI is believed to be funding travel and quarantine arrangements for Australians involved in the IPL.
Cricket Australia's interim chief executive Nick Hockley has previously insisted "we are not seeking any kind of special exemptions whatsoever".
"We will work with the Australian government and the relevant state governments to make sure we're not taking spaces of anyone else ... that is what we're committed to doing," Hockley said.
‘No official request’ from India to change summer Test dates, says ECB .
England are due to host India in a five-Test series from August 4 to September 14.It comes amid reports that alterations to the schedule have been broached on an informal basis.