Sport Ollie Robinson set for return to action with Sussex second XI
Tim Southee and Rory Burns take headlines while Ollie Robinson impresses again
Robinson has impacted his debut Test with bat and ball but there was no such good news for James Bracey or Dan Lawrence.Burns, who was dropped midway through the tour of India last winter following five single-figure scores in eight international innings, made a tenacious 132 out of England’s 275 all out.
Ollie Robinson is set to return to the cricket field with the Sussex second XI in two T20 matches against Hampshire on Tuesday.
Sussex last week said Robinson was taking a short break from the game after his England Test debut was overshadowed by controversy over racist and sexist tweets he posted in 2012 and 2013.
The 27-year-old has been suspended from international cricket pending an investigation by the England and Wales Cricket Board but remains eligible to represent his county.
He could have come into consideration for Sussex’s Vitality Blast match at Essex on Tuesday but has instead been named in the squad for the behind-closed-doors second XI matches at Hove.
England seamer Ollie Robinson suspended pending investigation into tweets
Tweets containing racist and sexist terms were sent on the bowler’s account in 2012 and 2013.Robinson, now 27, issued an apology for the posts he sent in 2012 and 2013, when he was in his late teens, which were unearthed and shared online on the day he made his Test debut against the Black Caps earlier this week.
The controversial Robinson tweets came to light on the first day of England’s drawn first Test against New Zealand earlier this month.
He later apologised for the postings, which were made when he was aged 18 or 19.
A Sussex statement last week read: “Ollie’s tweets were completely unacceptable, and their content is totally at odds with our stated ambition to inspire people from every background in our county to say, ‘I feel part of Sussex Cricket’.
“Ollie is a very different man from the one that wrote those tweets and has clearly learned much in the intervening years.
“As a result of his actions, Ollie has had the opportunity to represent his country suspended, is at the centre of intense public and media scrutiny and faces the possibility of further disciplinary action from the ECB.
Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden: Ollie Robinson’s punishment over the top
Robinson has been suspended from all international cricket pending the outcome of a disciplinary investigation. Dowden said: “Ollie Robinson’s tweets were offensive and wrong. “They are also a decade old and written by a teenager. “The teenager is now a man and has rightly apologised. The ECB has gone over the top by suspending him and should think again.
“Sussex Cricket will not be adding to these significant penalties.
“The club will turn its attention to supporting Ollie in his commitment to continue to educate himself in the area of equality, diversity and inclusion.”Share on TwitterTweet
Meghan Markle's father Thomas Markle believes he'd get on well with Prince Charles .
Thomas Markle believes he'd get on with Prince Charles and would like to go for a beer with him.The 76-year-old estranged father of the Duchess of Sussex also suggests he and the Prince of Wales have something in common having both been “ghosted” by Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan.