Sport SAS Australia: Stars furious over Sam Burgess' 'redemption story' edit
SAS Australia's Ant Middleton weighs in on wild Sam Burgess rumour
SAS Australia's chief instructor Ant Middleton has finally weighed in on a long-running rumour about season two recruit Sam Burgess. In June, Fox Sports alleged that the NRL star, 32, had sensationally 'choked out' an instructor during a 'kidnapping' exercise for the upcoming season of the military-style Seven show. According to the publication, producers had to call an ambulance after Burgess put one of his 'abductors' in a head lock during the high-pressure challenge.
Retired rugby league star Sam Burgess is reportedly the highest paid celebrity onthis year, earning a whopping $200,000 pay cheque.
And it seems Channel Seven is keen to get its money's worth after spending so much to secure the former South Sydney Rabbitohs player.
Sam, 32, has been featured heavily on the military-style reality show, while the other contestants are completing the same challenges almost unnoticed.
As the program heads into its fourth episode, a production source has told Daily Mail Australia several of the recruits are feeling 'frustrated' with their lack of airtime.
The rumoured SAS Australia season 3 cast
Even though of SAS Australia only got underway this week, rumours have already started swirling on which celebrities will appear on on the third season next year. According to Nova's Fitzy and Wippa, big names such as cricket legend Michael Clarke, Olympic golden boy Ian Thorpe and NRL star Sonny Bill Williams have been thrown into the mix. Even though season two of SAS Australia only got underway three nights ago, rumours have already started swirling on which celebrities will appear on the military-style combat show next year.
The stars are unhappy their efforts have been left on the cutting room floor, with the insider saying SAS Australia's second season is 'basically the Sam Burgess show'.
'The talk right now amongst recruits is [the producers] are doing their best to make Sam Burgess look good… doesn't take a genius to figure out why,' the source said.
'The best way to minimise any potential backlash was to make him likeable and to make everyone else look bad.'
'It's blatantly obvious to the recruits the network is terrified given Sam has ongoing legal issues still pending,' they added.
The insider sensationally claimed producers were instructed by executives at Seven to 'start conditioning the audience to like Sam'.
SAS Australia: Sam Burgess breaks down as he discusses his dad's death
Retired rugby star Sam Burgess broke down in tears on Tuesday night's episode of SAS Australia, as he spoke about the tragic death of his father, Mark. The 33-year-old lost his dad in 2007, just two years after he had been diagnosed with motor neurone disease.During an interrogation with the directing staff (DS), Sam said that Mark, 45, was his 'biggest influence' growing up, before recalling the devastating moment he died just weeks after seeing his son's rugby debut for Bradford at age 17. © Provided by Daily Mail ( 'He actually passed away coming to watch me play,' Sam said.
'The order came straight from the top... SAS is trying to pull the wool over audiences' eyes,' they alleged.
Sam confessed on the show last week he'd been unfaithful during his four-year marriage to ex-wife Phoebe while being interrogated by the directing staff.
'I don't think I was the greatest husband at times,' he said. 'I embarrassed my wife. I'd had an affair with a girl, a woman in Melbourne. That's true.
'I was away on tour, and regretfully that happened, which would have been... it would have been a tough place for Phoebe to be.'
Seven has categorically denied claims that Sam was given favourable coverage.
'Channel Seven strongly denies all allegations presented within,' a spokesperson told Daily Mail Australia on Monday afternoon.
It comes just days after singer Pete Murray and surf lifesaver Jett Kenny expressed their disappointment about not getting any airtime.
Sam Burgess tears up over father's death
Sam Burgess has teared up over the death of his father Mark and how it impacted his life in an emotional grilling on SAS Australia. The NRL star got candid on the bond he shared with his father during an interrogation. Sam Burgess has chocked up over the death of his father Mark and how it impacted his life in an emotional grilling on SAS Australia. After previously opening up about the breakdown of his marriage to Phoebe Burgess and his drug driving charge, during Tuesday night's interrogation the NRL star got candid on the bond he shared with his father.
The musician, 51, said in a video shared to Instagram on Sunday: 'I just wanted to say sorry, you still haven't seen any task that I've done on SAS.
'Unfortunately, that's just the way the show's been edited, and I know some of you guys are getting a little bit frustrated.'
Similarly, Jett said on Thursday he felt like he had no choice but to address his social media followers after one of his scenes was edited out of the show.
He shared a photo of himself in the driver's seat of a car about to plunge into freezing cold water, alongside another image of himself in the water displaying the thumbs-up sign.
'For those wondering: yes, I made it,' he wrote.
SAS Australia continues on Monday at 7.30pm on Channel Seven
Jett Kenny reveals the worst thing about SAS Australia .
The model, 27, admitted he disliked the food served to the reality TV recruits so much that he lost 8 kilograms during filming.The model, 27, admitted he disliked the food served to the reality TV recruits so much, that he lost eight kilograms during filming.