•   
  •   

Sport BREAKING: Spain just made the completely normal decision to sack their manager a day before the World Cup

15:27  13 june  2018
15:27  13 june  2018 Source:   theroar.com.au

Guti set to replace Zidane as Real Madrid coach, says Murcia chief

  Guti set to replace Zidane as Real Madrid coach, says Murcia chief The president of Spanish third division side Real Murcia has said his club’s plans to appoint Guti as coach this summer were scuppered because the former midfielder is set to take over at Real Madrid.Real were left stunned by Zinedine Zidane’s decision to step down last month after landing a third consecutive Champions League crown.

That’s it for today’s World Cup liveblog, which was far livelier than expected thanks to Spain ’s decision to , y’know, sack their manager two days before their opening Scotland may not have qualified for the World Cup , but a former Hamilton Academical defender has turned the tournament on its head.

Astonishingly, they have sacked manager Julen Lopetegui the DAY BEFORE THE WORLD CUP STARTS (and just two days before Spain kick Lopetegui was last night announced as the next Real Madrid manager , with the initial plan to take over once his World Cup duties were over with Spain .

Rubiales claimed Lopetegui’s negotiation with Madrid occurred without any knowledge of the RFEF.© Gabriel Bouys/AFP/Getty Images Rubiales claimed Lopetegui’s negotiation with Madrid occurred without any knowledge of the RFEF. The Spanish FA have made the bizarre decision to sack coach Julen Lopetegui with barely 30 hours to go before the World Cup starts.

Lopetegui was recently announced as Zinedine Zidane’s successor as Real Madrid coach, a decision that compelled the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) to show him the door.

“I know it’s a very difficult situation. I know there’s going to be criticism whatever I do,” RFEF president Luis Rubiales said.

Rubiales claimed Lopetegui’s negotiation with Madrid occurred without any knowledge of the RFEF.

World Cup: Fernando Hierro to take charge of Spain after shock Julen Lopetegui sacking

  World Cup: Fernando Hierro to take charge of Spain after shock Julen Lopetegui sacking Fernando Hierro will take charge of Spain for the duration of the World Cup following the sacking of Julen Lopetegui, the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) has confirmed. The 50-year-old former national team captain was appointed within hours of the announcement of Lopetegui's departure.The RFEF did not specify whether Hierro may continue in the role beyond the finals in Russia.

Spain have had the most turbulent possible build up to their World Cup opener against Portugal as SPAIN are one of the World Cup favourites, but will have to do without former manager Julen He also made one appearance for the Spain national team, coming on as a substitute in a 2-0 friendly

Spain sack head coach Julen Lopetegui after he was named the new Real Madrid boss - sporting director Fernando Hierro will take charge for the World Cup . We have been compelled to make this decision ." Lopetegui became Spain manager in 2016 following Vicente del Bosque's retirement, and

“I’m sure this will, in time, make us stronger. I admire Julen very much, I respect him very much. He seems like a top trainer and that makes it harder to make the decision.

“You can’t do things this way, two or three days before the World Cup. We have been compelled to make this decision.”

Spain’s opening World Cup match against Iberian rivals Portugal will take place on Saturday morning at 4am (AEST), giving the side just over 48 hours to find a coach before kick-off.

Lopetegui had been in charge of La Roja for the past two years, taking the head coach’s role in July 2016. A replacement has not yet been named.

Barca 'surprised and upset' by Pique after Griezmann documentary .
Barcelona were surprised and upset at Gerard Pique's involvement in making the television documentary in which Antoine Griezmann revealed he had rejected Barca to stay at Atletico Madrid, the La Liga champions' vice-president Jordi Mestre said on Tuesday. France forward Griezmann signed a new contract with Atletico on Monday until 2023 after announcing he had resisted an offer to join Barca in a documentary called "The Decision", produced by Kosmos, the production company owned by Barca defender Pique.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!