•   
  •   

WorldHungary boat collision captain involved in previous crash

06:30  07 june  2019
06:30  07 june  2019 Source:   dw.com

7 dead, 20 missing after sightseeing boat sinks in Hungary

7 dead, 20 missing after sightseeing boat sinks in Hungary Seven people are confirmed dead and at least 20 are missing after a sightseeing boat carrying at least 32 South Korean passengers and two crew members collided with another vessel and sank in the Danube River.

Hungary boat collision captain involved in previous crash© picture-alliance/Z. Mathe Provided by Deutsche Welle Hungarian prosecutors have said the cruise boat captain arrested over a collision on the Danube was already under investigation over another accident. The official death toll from the Budapest disaster has risen to 19.

Prosecutors in Budapest have said the captain arrested over a deadly collision with a sightseeing boat last week was already the subject of another accident investigation.

Officials said Thursday they were informed that the Ukrainian cruise boat skipper had been aboard another vessel that was involved in an accident in the Netherlands in April.

21 people still missing from sunken tour boat in Hungary

21 people still missing from sunken tour boat in Hungary Rescue crews were gearing up Thursday to raise a sightseeing boat from the bottom of the Danube River in the heart of the Hungarian capital of Budapest, as search teams scoured the waters for 21 people still missing after the vessel, packed with South Korean tourists, collided with a larger cruise ship and sank. Seven people are confirmed dead and seven have been rescued, all of them South Koreans, Hungarian officials said. Hungary's state TV reported that all those rescued have been released from the hospital except one who is being treated for broken ribs.

The 64-year-old man, identified by police as C. Yuriy from Ukraine, was arrested last week in Budapest. He is being held as a suspect in the deadliest boat collision on the Danube River in more than half a century.

The suspect was skippering the Viking Cruises company vessel, Sigyn, along a busy stretch of the Danube in Budapest when it collided with a much smaller pleasure vessel, the Hableany (Mermaid). The death toll from the incident rose to 19 on Thursday, with most of the victims part of a 33-member South Korean tour group.

Another incident in the Netherlands

Prosecutors said they were informed by the EU justice agency Eurojust that the Sigyn captain was also under investigation over the collision of another Viking ship, the Idun, with a chemical tanker in the Dutch city of Terneuzen on April 1.

At the time of the incident in the Netherlands, the Idun had 137 passengers and 43 crew on board. Several passengers were injured. Viking Cruises said Thursday that its employee had been aboard the Idun, but that he was "not serving" as captain at the time.

Tourists describe 'people screaming in the water' in Hungary boat disaster

Tourists describe 'people screaming in the water' in Hungary boat disaster Distraught river cruise holidaymakers described watching in horror as tourists from a sightseeing boat were swept into the cold, churning waters of the Danube.

Nine people are still missing after the Budapest incident, with only seven people on board the smaller vessel known to have survived. Hungarian officials have said the captain was suspected of "deleting date from his telephone after the collision" with the Hableany, which sank within seconds of the vessels hitting one another.

A barge carrying a crane to lift the Hableany to the surface has arrived in Budapest, but retrieval efforts are on hold until the river level subsides.

rc/cmk (Reuters, AFP, AP)

Each evening at 1830 UTC, DW's editors send out a selection of the day's hard news and quality feature journalism. You can sign up to receive it directly here.

Read more

Peak-hour traffic chaos in Melbourne after a car slams into a concrete pillar on a busy freeway - leaving a teenage girl fighting for her life.
A horror crash that has left a teen fighting for life on one of Melbourne's busiest freeways has sparked peak hour traffic chaos which left four people in hospital. The freeway was closed almost seven hours to clear the wreckage before it reopened just after 7am. 'Delays will take some time to ease. Consider the Princes Highway as an alternative,' VicTraffic tweeted. © Provided by Associated Newspapers Limited There's peak hour chaos on Melbourne's Monash Freeway after an earlier single vehicle crash The delays have tested the patience of motorists. 'So we leave at 5.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 1
This is interesting!