Trump calls for 'war' against Mexican drug cartel 'monsters' after Americans murdered in shootout
President Trump on Tuesday offered U.S. assistance as he called on Mexico to “wage war” against the country's murderous drug cartel “monsters,” in response to the killing of multiple Americans in a shootout. “If Mexico needs or requests help in cleaning out these monsters, the United States stands ready, willing & able to get involved and do the job quickly and effectively,” Trump tweeted. “The great new President of Mexico has made this a big issue, but the cartels have become so large and powerful that you sometimes need an army to defeat an army!”© FoxNews.
OUAGADOUGOU, Burkina Faso — An ambush on a convoy transporting employees of a Canadian mining company in Burkina Faso killed 37 people on Wednesday , the deadliest attack in nearly five years of jihadist violence in the West African country .
Thirty - seven civilians were killed and more than 60 wounded when gunmen ambushed a convoy The attack on Wednesday is the deadliest in recent years as the military struggles to contain Islamist violence Around 20 dead in Burkina Faso as jihadist violence spreads across region. Read more.
An ambush on a convoy transporting employees of a Canadian mining company in Burkina Faso killed 37 people on Wednesday, the deadliest attack in nearly five years of jihadist violence in the West African country.
The impoverished and politically fragile Sahel country has been struggling to quell a rising jihadist revolt that has claimed hundreds of lives since early 2015.
On Wednesday morning "unidentified armed individuals" ambushed five buses carrying local employees, contractors and suppliers of the Samafo mining company, said Saidou Sanou, the governor of the country's Est Region.
The Latest: 5 kids are stable after surviving Mexico attack
A relative of the extended family members killed in a drug cartel ambush in northern Mexico says five children who survived the shooting are in stable condition at an Arizona hospital. 6:30 p.m.
Thirty - seven civilians were killed and more than 60 wounded when gunmen ambushed a Semafo said in a statement earlier that the attack on a convoy of five buses with military escort The toll was likely to rise as there are a large number of people still unaccounted for, according to a security source.
OUAGADOUGOU, Burkina Faso (AP) — Gunmen attacked a convoy near a Canadian mining site in Burkina Faso , killing at least 37 people and Montreal-based Semafo said the bloodshed happened about 25 miles (40 kilometers) from its Boungou mine in Burkina Faso ’s Eastern region and involved
As well as the 37 civilians killed, 60 were wounded, he said.
Mine owner Semafo Inc. said the five buses escorted by the military were approximately 40 kilometres (25 miles) from the Boungou gold mine in the Tapoa province when they were ambushed.
A security source said "a military vehicle that was escorting the convoy hit an explosive device".
"Two buses carrying workers were then fired upon," the source told AFP on condition of anonymity.
Burkina Faso's government said the gunmen had conducted a "complex attack", adding that defence and security forces had launched a relief operation and were searching the area.
Gunmen kill 15 in southern Thailand's worst attack in years
Officials say at least 15 killed in attack in Thailand's restive southIt was the worst single attack in years in a region where a Muslim separatist insurgency has killed thousands.
Thirty - seven civilians were killed and more than 60 wounded when gunmen ambushed a convoy transporting The attack is the deadliest in recent years as the military struggles to contain Islamist violence that In December a police vehicle was attacked on the same road, resulting in five deaths.
Gunmen ambushed five buses carrying workers for a Canadian gold mining company in an attack near a mine in Burkina Faso . At least 37 civilians are dead and more than 60 are wounded after gunmen attacked a convoy of local employees working for the Canadian gold mining company
It was the third deadly attack on Canadian firm Semafo, which operates two mines in Burkina Faso, in 15 months.
"We are actively working with all levels of authorities to ensure the ongoing safety and security of our employees, contractors and suppliers," Semafo said in a statement, offering condolences to the families of the victims.
The mine itself, it added, remains secure and its operations had not been affected.
Two separate attacks on convoys carrying Boungou mine employees in August and December last year killed 11 people.
The company blamed "armed bandits" for last year's attacks, and subsequently reinforced its armed escorts.
The Burkina Faso government this year asked mining companies to make their own arrangements to transport their employees, according to sources close to the miners.
- Nearly 700 dead in five years -
Burkina Faso's northern provinces have been battling a nearly five-year wave of jihadist violence that came from neighbouring Mali.
Last victim of Mexico border killings to be laid to rest
COLONIA LEBARON, Mexico (AP) — Family and friends prepared to bury on Saturday the last victim of a cartel ambush that killed nine American women and children from a community in northern Mexico where having gangsters in their midst has long been a fact of life. .In the attack Monday, Christina Langford Johnson jumped out of her vehicle and waved her hands to show she was no threat to the attackers and was shot twice in the heart, community members say. Her daughter Faith Marie Johnson, 7 months old, was found unharmed in her car seat.
Thirty - seven civilians were killed and more than 60 wounded when gunmen ambushed a convoy transporting workers of Canadian gold miner Semafo in eastern Burkina Faso , regional authorities said on Wednesday . The attack is the deadliest in recent years as the military struggles to contain
Gunmen attacked a convoy near a Canadian -owned mining site in Burkina Faso , killing at least 37 people and wounding 60 others, the regional governor said late Wednesday . Montreal-based Semafo said the bloodshed happened about 25 miles from its Boungou mine in Burkina Faso ’s Eastern
The attacks -- typically hit-and-run raids on villages, road mines and suicide bombings -- have claimed nearly 700 lives across the country since early 2015, according to an AFP toll.
Almost 500,000 people have also been forced to flee their homes.
The attacks have been claimed by a range of jihadist groups, including al-Qaeda and the Islamic State.
The country's badly equipped, poorly trained and underfunded security forces have been unable to stem the violence, which has intensified throughout 2019 to become almost daily.
The Sahel region, including Burkina Faso's neighbours Mali and Niger, has been afflicted by the violence despite the presence of the regional G5 Sahel force as well as French and US troops.
Burkina Faso's previous deadliest attack was in January 2016, when jihadists raided the Splendid Hotel and a cafe in the capital Ouagadougou, killing 30 people, around half of them foreign nationals.
In August this year, the army suffered its worst attack with 24 soldiers killed in an assault on a base in Koutougou, near the Mali border.
On Monday, an attack on a base in northern Burkina Faso killed at least five gendarmes and five civilians.
Outrage as activist links rise in domestic violence to firefighters .
Women's rights activist Sherele Moody has triggered outrage for saying some firefighters battling the devastating bushfires in NSW and Queensland may return home and inflict violence on their partners. Ms Moody, a News Corp journalist whose work on domestic violence has won her Clarion, Walkley and Our Watch awards, first made the comments at a press conference on Wednesday alongside Greens Senator Larissa Waters. The Greens quickly distanced itself from the comments. "After a cataclysmic event like this, domestic violence peaks," she said.