Duchess of Cornwall cancels another engagement on doctor's orders due to chest infection
The Duchess of Cornwall has cancelled a second official engagement this week on doctor's orders.Camilla skipped the opening of the 91st Field of Remembrance at Westminster Abbey on Thursday, the first time the Duchess was set to attend the annual event.
Image: Stuart Potts set off fireworks during the two minutes of silence .
A man who set off fireworks during a Remembrance Sunday event has been jailed . Stuart Potts blasted two fireworks into the air as the Last Post ended while hundreds of people were observing a two-minute silence for the war dead at the Cenotaph in Eccles, Salford. The 38-year-old launched the
A man who set off fireworks during a Remembrance Sunday event has been jailed for 16 weeks.
Stuart Potts, 38, was told by District Judge Mark Hadfield that he had shown a "staggering lack of respect for those attending and those being remembered".
Potts let off two fireworks as the Last Post ended and hundreds of people at Eccles Cenotaph in Salford began a two-minute silence for those killed in war.
He had been sitting on the ledge of the first floor window of an abandoned pub but after the fireworks were set off, a crowd of angry veterans gathered outside the building trying to get to him. Some threw traffic cones at him.
NSW driver jailed for running down friend
A Sydney woman who used her car as a weapon to run down her friend has been jailed for at least two years and five months. Debra Anne Holland pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm to Lisa Coleman with intent in December 2017 at Waterloo.After the women - who had recently reconnected as friends - drunkenly argued, the then-50-year-old Holland deliberately drove at Ms Coleman twice, striking her once and causing serious injuries.In the NSW District Court on Friday, Judge John Pickering jailed Holland for four years and nine months, with a non-parole period of two years and five months.
A man has been arrested after he set off a firework during a Remembrance Day silence , to the fury of veterans at the event. A man is bundled away by police to protect him from the angry after he disrupted a silent tribute with fireworks at a Remembrance Sunday event at the cenotaph in Eccles
Man who set off fireworks during two-minute silence at Eccles Remembrance Sunday event is jailed for 16 weeks. A man who ruined a Remembrance Sunday event by setting off fireworks has been jailed for 16 weeks. Stuart Potts let off two fireworks as the Last Post ended, while hundreds of
A police officer blocked the door to the pub, holding the crowds back until more officers arrived.
Potts, from Borough Road, Salford, was then taken away.
On Monday he appeared at Manchester Magistrates' Court and pleaded guilty to one count of throwing a firework in a public place and a public order offence.
He told the court he had lit the fireworks as a "mark of respect" but the judge said he did not believe this.
Judge Hadfield said: "I rather doubt that anybody in their right mind would think letting them off in the middle of that ceremony was a mark of respect.
"It shows a staggering lack of respect for those attending and those being remembered."
Representing Potts, Abigail Henry said he had shown "sincere and genuine remorse" and wanted to apologise to those who had been at the service.
"He describes events on that day being asked by another to set off the fireworks as a mark of respect at 10.59am, similar to the guns used in London," she said.
A statement was read in court from a Mr Seed, who served with the Royal Marines between 1965 and 1972.
Mr Seed, whose first name was not given, said the noise of the fireworks had aggravated his PTSD and that what Potts had done was "the most disrespectful act I have ever witnessed at a Remembrance Day".
He added: "I can't understand why would do such an abominable act against a group of people like me who have or may have suffered like I have."
Man charged over Sydney Park fireworks .
A man has allegedly let off a firework in an inner-Sydney park with the intent to cause a fire, prompting his arrest after members of the public intervened. A man has allegedly set off a firework which started a small inner-Sydney fire just days after catastrophic fire danger warnings in the region. The 34-year-old man before 10pm on Thursday allegedly lit the firework at Sydney Park in St Peters, causing a fire in bushland.Members of the public prevented the man from leaving the scene and extinguished the blaze before calling authorities.