How Bali's weather accurately predicts dengue fever cases in Australia
The weather in Bali can accurately predict outbreaks of dengue fever in Australia just a few months later, new research has found.The research from the Queensland University of Technology's school of public health and social work has found a strong link between weather patterns causing a rise in dengue cases in Bali and a corresponding jump in cases reported here.
US health officials on Thursday reported one new case and one more fatality linked to a vaping-related respiratory illness, after the deceased allegedly used the device over a two-week period, taking the total death toll to 48.
As of December 4, 2019, there were 2,291 hospitalized cases reported to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) across 50 US states, the District of Columbia, and two U.S. territories.
Queensland's Indigenous leader and trailblazer Sam Watson passes away
Since first becoming politically active as a teen in the 1960s, Sam Watson went on to play a central role in Indigenous affairs from working for the Aboriginal Legal Service to helping implement the findings of the Royal Commission into Aboriginal Deaths in Custody. He was a writer and filmmaker with the nation "poorer for his passing".WARNING: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander readers are warned that the following article contains images of a deceased person.
Health officials said there are more deaths under investigation.
Investigators have pointed to vaping oils that contain THC - the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana - as being especially risky.
The recent spate of serious respiratory illnesses has led to calls from health departments in the US for people to stop vaping, especially those products containing THC.
Last month, officials reported the discovery of Vitamin E acetate — believed to be used as a cutting agent in illicit vaping products containing marijuana — in lung samples from 29 patients.
CDC has declared Vitamin E acetate a "chemical of concern" and recommended that the substance not be added to e-cigarettes, or vaping products, while the investigation is underway.
Measles warning for Hellenic Republic, 109 tram and the airport .
A woman in her fifties is being treated for measles in hospital, while a man and a woman in their thirties are being treated at their homes. Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton has warned punters who visited the Futsal Oz Stadium in Thomastown in the city's north, people who dined at celebrity chef George Calombaris' Hellenic Republic restaurant in Brighton, and travellers who passed through Terminal 3 at Melbourne Airport towards the end of last month they may be at risk.