•   
  •   

World North Korea to ban tourists over China virus: tour operator

22:10  22 january  2020
22:10  22 january  2020 Source:   msn.com

Coronavirus cases confirmed in all Chinese regions

  Coronavirus cases confirmed in all Chinese regions With one of the 7,711 confirmed cases reported in Tibet, the virus is now in every region of China.Chinese health authorities have said there were 7,711 confirmed cases in the country as of 29 January.

a group of people walking down the street: The vast majority of foreign tourists to North Korea are Chinese© Ed JONES The vast majority of foreign tourists to North Korea are Chinese

North Korea will ban foreign tourists to protect itself against a new SARS-like virus that has claimed at least nine lives in China and sickened hundreds, a major tour operator said.

Several nations including the US have stepped up checks on airport passengers to detect the coronavirus, which first emerged in the central Chinese city of Wuhan, but a ban on tourists would be a first.

The virus has caused alarm in China and abroad because of its genetic similarities to Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), which killed nearly 650 people across mainland China and Hong Kong in 2002-2003.

China 'fails to repatriate' N Korea workers despite UN sanctions

  China 'fails to repatriate' N Korea workers despite UN sanctions US says Pyongyang earning more than $500m a year from nearly 100,000 workers abroad mainly in China and Russia.A 2017 UN Security Council resolution, which China backed, demanded that all countries repatriate all North Korean workers by December 22 to stop them earning foreign currency for North Korea's nuclear and ballistic missile programmes.

The vast majority of foreign tourists to North Korea are Chinese, and their numbers have swelled significantly in the last year as relations between Beijing and Pyongyang have warmed, generating vital foreign currency for the isolated country.

But as of Wednesday, North Korea will "temporarily close its borders to all foreign tourists as a precaution to the coronavirus", Chinese-based specialist operator Young Pioneer Tours said in a statement.

Exact details had yet to be confirmed, it added.

Koryo Tours, the market leader for Western visitors, said it had been "informed that action was being considered" and was expecting more information Wednesday.

Pyongyang has taken similar action in the past -- it closed its borders to foreign tourists for more than four months from October 2014 in a bid to keep out the Ebola virus, even though no cases had been reported in Asia.

This terrifying graph shows how fast the Wuhan virus has spread so far, and how close it is to becoming a global pandemic

  This terrifying graph shows how fast the Wuhan virus has spread so far, and how close it is to becoming a global pandemic A simple graph shows just how fast the Wuhan coronavirus has spread over the last two weeks alone. The graph shows that the virus - also known as 2019-nCoV - could soon become a pandemic, as more and more cases are being found outside China. As of Wednesday, nine people have died and 440 are infected worldwide, according to China's health commission. Click here for Business Insider's full coverage of the Wuhan virus.Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.An alarming graph shows how fast the Wuhan coronavirus has spread in the past two weeks alone and highlights how soon it could become a pandemic.

It enforced a 21-day quarantine period on anyone entering the country, including foreign diplomats and businesspeople.

Pyongyang's official Rodong Sinmun newspaper did not mention any North Korean action over the virus Wednesday but reported on the outbreak in China, saying it had "spread rapidly" and that authorities in its giant neighbour were taking "corresponding measures".

The North has poor medical infrastructure and a chronic shortage of medicines.

When South Korea suffered from the world's largest outbreak of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome, or MERS, in summer 2015, the North reportedly prohibited its diplomats and workers overseas from returning to their homeland for months to prevent the spread of the virus.

Pyongyang also suspended foreign tours for three months due to fears over SARS in 2003.

Two coronavirus patients released from Sydney hospital after recovering from infection .
Two men in New South Wales previously detected with coronavirus have recovered from the potentially lethal infection, health authorities say.NSW chief health officer Doctor Kerry Chant said the men were no longer infectious and had been released.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 1
This is interesting!