•   
  •   

World Italy hunts for coronavirus superspreader as 'sixth person dies'

21:45  24 february  2020
21:45  24 february  2020 Source:   news.sky.com

Coronavirus: Austria stops trains with Italy over COVID-19 concerns

  Coronavirus: Austria stops trains with Italy over COVID-19 concerns Austria halted trains on a major route with Italy after two train passengers were thought to be infected.On Sunday evening, Austria halted some train connections on its border with Italy — with officials reporting that two passengers who were possibly infected with the coronavirus were stopped at the border.

a person standing in front of a building: Military officers wearing face masks stand outside Duomo cathedral, closed by authorities, in Milan © Reuters Military officers wearing face masks stand outside Duomo cathedral, closed by authorities, in Milan

A sixth person has died from coronavirus in Italy, according to the state broadcaster, as the total number of cases in the country soars to more than 200.

A dozen towns are in lockdown as authorities race to contain the biggest outbreak of coronavirus in Europe, which has prompted Austria to assemble a special taskforce to consider border controls.

a large long train on a steel track: A train stopped by authorities on the Italian side of the Brenner Pass © PA A train stopped by authorities on the Italian side of the Brenner Pass

There have been five confirmed deaths over the past two days from COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, the latest of whom was 88 years old and from the northern Lombardy region.

Mission: Impossible 7 shuts down filming over coronavirus fears

  Mission: Impossible 7 shuts down filming over coronavirus fears Paramount says its decision has been made "out of an abundance of caution".Fears over the respiratory disease are spreading beyond China, with Italy the latest country attempting to contain the virus following 219 reported cases in the country.

The reported sixth victim has not been confirmed by the Italian authorities.

In developments elsewhere:

  • Britons under quarantine after being flown back from Japan have expressed anger that others on the repatriation flight have since tested positive for the virus.
  • Austria is considering border controls after refusing entry to a train arriving from Italy.
  • France and Germany are not yet considering border controls, although France has quarantined an Italian national who displayed flu-like symptoms after arriving in Lyon on a coach from Milan.
  • Holidaymakers from the affected regions in Italy have been stopped from entering Mauritius.
  • North Korea has quarantined 380 foreigners, with diplomatic staff - including at the British embassy - not being allowed to leave their compounds.
  • Global stock markets are falling sharply as a result of the outbreak, threatening to inflict deeper damage to the worldwide economy.
a person walking in the rain: A police officer patrols on a platform at the train station on the Italian side of the Brenner Pass, Italy © PA A police officer patrols on a platform at the train station on the Italian side of the Brenner Pass, Italy

On Sunday evening, Austria refused entry to a train coming from Italy after the Italian State Railways informed Austrian train operator OBB that there were two people with fever symptoms on board.

Budget surplus in doubt amid coronavirus crisis

  Budget surplus in doubt amid coronavirus crisis Prime Minister Scott Morrison says the budget surplus is in doubt this year after Treasurer Josh Frydenberg revealed the financial impact of the coronavirus would be worse than the bushfires. Prime Minister Scott Morrison says the budget surplus is in doubt this year after Treasurer Josh Frydenberg revealed the financial impact of the coronavirus woul The government argued no one could have predicted the virus would emerge when figures were being calculated last year, standing firm that no extreme fiscal measures would be taken.

"Tonight a train on its way from Venice to Munich was stopped at the Austrian border," Austria's interior ministry earlier confirmed.

a close up of a street in front of a building: A general view shows a deserted street in Codogno, southeast of Milan, on February 22, 2020 © Getty A general view shows a deserted street in Codogno, southeast of Milan, on February 22, 2020

The operator later confirmed to Sky News that all train traffic to and from Italy had been suspended - but the suspension was lifted after a few hours.

Concern has also been expressed by the French director of health Jerome Salomon, who said the situation was "worrying" and warned of further cases in France because of its proximity to Italy.

He told the France Info radio station that "anyone returning from Lombardy or Veneto with symptoms must be considered suspicious", but said there were not yet any plans for border controls.

a person standing in front of a newspaper: The affected Lombardy region includes Italy’s financial capital, Milan © Getty The affected Lombardy region includes Italy’s financial capital, Milan

However, officials did intercept a coach from Milan to Lyon over concerns one Italian on board might have the virus, having displayed flu-like symptoms.

Australian athletes told to prepare as normal amid coronavirus

  Australian athletes told to prepare as normal amid coronavirus Australia's Olympic boss will meet with officials on Thursday to give updated advice on the coronavirus with some sports tinkering with their pre-Tokyo plans.Australian Olympic Committee chief executive Matt Carroll told radio stations on Wednesday morning that there was no indication the Tokyo Olympics would be cancelled amid the coronavirus outbreak, echoing the comments of Australia's chef de mission Ian Chesterman.

Police put up a security cordon around the bus and moved the passengers into an area of Lyon Perrache bus station, where they were isolated from other travellers, and the person showing symptoms was taken to hospital.

Germany has said it is not considering border closures.

Lombardy and Veneto, both in the north of Italy, have ordered schools and universities to close for at least a week, while museums and cinemas have been shut and the last two days of the Venice Carnival called off.

a group of people standing on top of a metal fence: Residents wait to be given access to shop in a supermarket in small groups of forty people on February 23, 2020 in the small Italian town of Casalpusterlengo © Getty Residents wait to be given access to shop in a supermarket in small groups of forty people on February 23, 2020 in the small Italian town of Casalpusterlengo

Sky Italia reporter Tonia Cartolano, reporting from Codogno, just south of Milan, said the situation was "really serious" but that authorities were working well to prevent the virus from spreading.

a group of people standing in front of a crowd: Tourists wearing sanitary masks walk in downtown Milan, Italy © PA Tourists wearing sanitary masks walk in downtown Milan, Italy

"The response of the government has been fast," she said.

"We are trying to contain the virus and I'm sure we are doing it in the right way."

Qualify first, worry later: Marathoners say no time to fear Olympic cancellation

  Qualify first, worry later: Marathoners say no time to fear Olympic cancellation UK-CHINA-HEALTH-OLYMPICS-2020:Qualify first, worry later: Marathoners say no time to fear Olympic cancellationNumerous international sports events have been hit by the outbreak of a new coronavirus, with about 80,000 people infected, the vast majority in China, raising concern over the upcoming Games in Japan.

a man and woman preparing food in a store: Residents shop in a supermarket in small groups of forty people on February 23, 2020 in the small Italian town of Casalpusterlengo © Getty Residents shop in a supermarket in small groups of forty people on February 23, 2020 in the small Italian town of Casalpusterlengo

The Italian authorities have been reporting their own case numbers and the country's death toll, creating potential discrepancies with the worldwide statistics being compiled by experts at Johns Hopkins.

Johns Hopkins has been updating its global tally on a daily basis, but Italy has joined other governments in reporting their own figures.

Despite the measures being put in place in Italy, other governments have advised against travel to the affected regions.

The Irish foreign ministry updated its travel advice website on Monday, saying: "There has been an increase in the number of confirmed cases of Coronavirus in Italy... Citizens are advised not to travel to affected areas."

a group of people on a boat in the water: Tourists wear protective face masks in a gondola, because of an outbreak of coronavirus, in Venice, Italy February 23, 2020 © Reuters Tourists wear protective face masks in a gondola, because of an outbreak of coronavirus, in Venice, Italy February 23, 2020

The UK government has not yet issued any specific advice about the situation in Italy.

The first Italian fatality from the virus this weekend was a 78-year-old former construction company owner, who died in Padua in the Veneto region.

A second patient - a 77-year-old woman - died hours later in Lombardy, while another woman with the virus in the region died on Sunday.

Fifth coronavirus case confirmed in NSW after man returns from Iran

  Fifth coronavirus case confirmed in NSW after man returns from Iran A man in his 40s being treated at Westmead Hospital in western Sydney is the fifth case of coronavirus to be diagnosed in New South Wales.A man in his 40s is being treated at Westmead Hospital in western Sydney after experiencing mild symptoms.

a group of people that are standing in the street: People queue at a supermarket near Casalpusterlengo, which has been closed in the wake of the outbreak © Imagebridge People queue at a supermarket near Casalpusterlengo, which has been closed in the wake of the outbreak

The fourth victim was an 84-year-old man from Bergamo, according to Sky News Italia.

At least three of the victims had been suffering serious underlying health problems, officials have said.

The regional governor of Veneto, Luca Zaia, said he had dealt with several natural disasters during his career, including floods and earthquakes, but "this is the absolutely worst problem that Veneto has faced".

Almost a dozen towns in Lombardy and Veneto, with a combined population of about 50,000 people, have effectively been placed under quarantine.

Residents have been urged to stay home and special permission is needed to enter or leave the designated areas.


Four Serie A football matches were postponed in the wake of the virus outbreak, while the Women's Six Nations match between Italy and Scotland was cancelled.

Serie A president Paolo Dal Pino has asked the government if other upcoming matches in affected regions can be played behind closed doors rather than suspended.

He said the fixture calendar was "already saturated with commitments" and that the league had to end by 24 May as planned due to this summer's European Championships.

a person standing in front of San Siro: Inter Milan's match with Sampdoria has been postponed due to the coronavirus outbreak © Imagebridge Inter Milan's match with Sampdoria has been postponed due to the coronavirus outbreak

The biggest jump in cases of COVID-19 has been reported by authorities in Lombardy, which includes the country's financial capital Milan, with 90 cases confirmed.

Two new cases of coronavirus confirmed in NSW, including first traveller from Singapore

  Two new cases of coronavirus confirmed in NSW, including first traveller from Singapore A 53-year-old man tests positive for coronavirus in the first case that has come from Singapore. A 39-year-old man who travelled to Iran also tests positive.A 53-year-old man who recently travelled to Singapore has tested positive, as well as a 39-year-old man who travelled from Iran.

Authorities have expressed frustration they have not been able to track down the source of the virus spread in the north of Italy, possibly by a so-called superspreader.

a man standing next to a platform: Italian police officers are seen inside the Brennero-Brenner train station in Italy after the train left, February 23, 2020. REUTERS/Leonhard Foeger © Reuters Italian police officers are seen inside the Brennero-Brenner train station in Italy after the train left, February 23, 2020. REUTERS/Leonhard Foeger

It surfaced in the region last week when an Italian man in his late 30s in Codogno became critically ill.

"The health officials haven't been able to pinpoint Patient Zero,'' Angelo Borrelli, head of the Civil Protection Agency, told reporters in Rome.

At first, it was widely presumed that the man was infected by an Italian friend he dined with and who recently returned from his job, based in Shanghai.

When the friend tested negative for the virus, attention turned to several Chinese people who live in town and who frequent the same cafe visited by the stricken man.

But Lombardy governor Attilio Fontana told reporters all of those Chinese people had tested negative.

a group of people in uniform: Officers stand guard outside the town of Castiglione D'Adda © Imagebridge Officers stand guard outside the town of Castiglione D'Adda

Some reports from Italy say Patient Zero may have been identified as a 60-year-old man from the Vicenza area, who has been in Cordogno and other centres in the Lodi area.

Such is the concern surrounding the Italian outbreak, Mauritius has blocked some visitors from the country.

An Alitalia plane landed in Mauritius on Monday but some passengers and crew opted to return straight home, after being told they would have to go into quarantine because of local concerns over the virus, the airline said.

Some 224 passengers and crew had been aboard the flight from Rome to the Indian Ocean island, but 40 people from the northern regions of Lombardy and Veneto decided to go back.

Following the developments in Italy, the European Commission has announced a €232m (£195m) aid package to help member states and the global effort to tackle the outbreak.

Baby diagnosed with coronavirus in SA as two more cases are confirmed

  Baby diagnosed with coronavirus in SA as two more cases are confirmed Baby diagnosed with coronavirus in SA as two more cases are confirmedThe 40-year-old woman returned to South Australia from Iran on Sunday.

While most cases and fatalities are still being reported in China, other countries have continued to step up their precautionary measures - with about 380 foreigners having been quarantined in North Korea.

Diplomatic staff are not being allowed out of their compounds in the reclusive state or to leave the country - including the British embassy, Sky News understands.

And another 70 more cases have been confirmed in South Korea, bringing the total number there to 833.

More than 2,470 people have been killed by the coronavirus outbreak, most of them in China.

There have been more than 79,000 suspected and confirmed cases of COVID-19 worldwide, with China revealing on Monday that more than 3,000 of those were members of its medical staff.

Pictures: Coronavirus in photos 

Baby diagnosed with coronavirus in SA as two more cases are confirmed .
Baby diagnosed with coronavirus in SA as two more cases are confirmedThe 40-year-old woman returned to South Australia from Iran on Sunday.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 71
This is interesting!