World Missing Chinese journalist 'under state supervision'
Newmarch house records first COVID-19 case two months being declared virus-free
A resident at Newmarch House, the site of one of New South Wales’ deadliest COVID-19 outbreaks, has tested positive for the virus two months after the facility was declared virus free. © Provided by Sky News Australia A resident at the Anglicare-run home in Kingswood returned a 'weak positive' test on Monday after showing mild respiratory symptoms. NSW Health told Sky News the result “reflects past infection”.“It is not uncommon for patients who have recovered from past infection to have a positive result,” a representative said.“These patients are not infectious, and do not represent a risk to the community”.
A Chinese citizen journalist who disappeared in February after reporting on the outbreak of the coronavirus has been found, a friend has said.
The whereabouts of Chen Qiushi have not been known since he was allegedly "quarantined by force".
A friend has now uploaded a video to YouTube saying he is in "good health" but is under government supervision.
There have been separate reports that he is staying with his parents in Qingdao.
Chinese authorities are known for clamping down on activists who speak out. At the time of Mr Chen's disappearance the government had been keen to show it was getting the coronavirus outbreak under control.
Unemployment figures rise in Victoria as job growth picks up in all other states
Treasurer Josh Frydenberg says all states across Australia have enjoyed positive job growth except Victoria which lost 42,000 jobs during the month of August. © Provided by Sky News Australia He also revealed Victoria’s effective unemployment rate increased from 10.5 per cent to 13.1 per cent. “The situation in my state of Victoria remains very, very difficult and challenging," the Treasurer said. “We have seen over the last few months 458,000 new jobs created, with a particularly strong performance in NSW,” Mr Frydenberg said.
Mr Chen went missing at about the same time as Wuhan businessman Fang Bin and citizen journalist Li Zehua, who had both also reported on the coronavirus outbreak.
while the whereabouts of Fang Bin are still unknown.
The arrest of another citizen journalist, Zhang Zhan, who also reported on the early days of the pandemic, was confirmed in June.
What's the latest on Chen Qiushi?
Xu Xiaodong, a mixed martial arts fighter and friend of Mr Chen, posted a video on YouTube saying he was in a "safe place".
"Qiushi is still under the supervision of a certain agency and hasn't come home yet," he said in the video.
A human rights lawyer, who requested anonymity,that Mr Chen had been moved to Qingdao where his parents live and where he is registered.
The bogus Steve Bannon-backed study claiming China created the coronavirus, explained
The study and the Chinese virologist behind it are quite popular in conservative media.And all I spoke to said the study is deeply flawed.
"Qiushi, who is together with his parents, is under strict supervision by the authorities," the lawyer said.
"Since the authorities have decided not to prosecute him, it is actually not lawful to continue to keep him in close surveillance."
Who is Chen Qiushi?
Mr Chen, a former human rights lawyer turned video journalist, built his reputation through his coverage of the Hong Kong protests last August.
That coverage, he later alleged, led to him being harassed and ultimately muzzled by Chinese authorities following his return to the mainland. His Chinese social media accounts, which reportedly had a following of more than 700,000 people, were deleted.
In late January he decided to travel to Wuhan to report on the worsening coronavirus outbreak.
"I will use my camera to document what is really happening. I promise I won't… cover up the truth," he said in his first YouTube video.
On 7 February a video was shared on his Twitter account - which was being managed by Xu Xiaodong - featuring his mother, who said he had gone missing the day before.
Mr Xu later alleged in a YouTube video that Mr Chen had been forcibly quarantined.
Australian journalist says COVID has been 'massive win' for China .
Bill Birtles had worked in Beijing since 2015 as the ABC's China correspondent before he was rushed back home on September 8 following the advice of the Australian government. Michael Smith, the Australian Financial Review's China correspondent, returned home at the same time alongside Mr Birtles.Speaking in a webinar for the Lowy Institute on Friday, Mr Birtles said the global pandemic had been a 'massive win' for Chinese President Xi Jinping and the communist party.Despite much of the blame for the virus being put on China, the country has almost eliminated domestic transmission among its 1.