•   
  •   

World Internet outages in tense Guinea as Conde on course for vote win

18:05  23 october  2020
18:05  23 october  2020 Source:   msn.com

Prison to president: The 82-year-old eyeing six more years

  Prison to president: The 82-year-old eyeing six more years Alpha Condé, who spent years in opposition, is seeking a controversial third term.If he fails to clinch outright victory with more than 50% of the vote, the president will probably have to face off against his leading opponent, Cellou Dalein Diallo, in a run-off that on past form that will probably spark violent confrontation on the streets of Conakry, the crowded capital city, crammed into a narrow peninsula jutting out into the Atlantic.

Guinea 's President Alpha Conde appeared headed for re-election on Friday, initial results rejected by the With tensions mounting after days of post- vote violence, figures released by the election Internet monitoring group NetBlocks said it suspected Guinea internet outages on Friday were an

CONAKRY (Reuters) - Guinea 's President Alpha Conde has won a landslide re-election victory, preliminary results showed on Thursday, giving him a third term in office after a bitterly fought Internet outages in tense Guinea as Conde on course for vote win .

Guinea, gripped by days of post-election violence, suffered widespread internet disruptions on Friday after preliminary results showed a victory for President Alpha Conde.

a group of people around a track: A police officer throws a stone at protesters during a mass protest on Wednesday © JOHN WESSELS A police officer throws a stone at protesters during a mass protest on Wednesday

Figures released by the election commission late Thursday showed the 82-year-old incumbent, who is seeking a controversial third term, was the clear leader in Sunday's first round.

But opposition candidate Cellou Dalein Diallo has claimed victory and his camp has accused the government of "large-scale fraud" in counting ballots.

Guineans elect president in test vote for democracy

  Guineans elect president in test vote for democracy Guineans cast ballots for a president Sunday, with the 82-year-old incumbent bidding for a third term despite mass protests against the move and concerns about democratic backsliding. Canvassing in the West African state ends Friday at midnight, capping a tense political campaign marked by insults traded between President Alpha Conde and his leading rival Cellou Dalein Diallo. The poll on Sunday also follows months of political unrest in Guinea, where mass protests against a Conde third term, from October last year, have left dozens of people dead in a security-forces crackdown.

Like power and water, the internet has been shown by the pandemic to be a necessity for households. It's time for it to be regulated as a utility. (Los Angeles Times). After months of being stuck at home, many Americans know full well that there are three things they can't live without.

Guinea 's main opposition candidate Cellou Dalein Diallo arrived in the capital Conakry on Thursday Activists are concerned that a win for Conde would bode ill for democratic norms in the region. Conde -- in seeming defiance of the criticism -- has crisscrossed Guinea at a fast clip over the past

Internet monitoring group NetBlocks said it suspected the internet outage was an attempt by the government to restrict activity on social media to weaken the opposition.

"The incident appears to be consistent with previous restrictions attributed to state controls during elections in the country," NetBlocks executive director Alp Toker told AFP.

AFP journalists reported that they had lost their internet connection on the Orange cell phone network, which is ubiquitous in Guinea.

A spokeswoman for Orange Guinea said the network's connection to the internet had been "cut at the point of access".

- 'Sealed off' -

Months of unrest have seen mass protests against Conde's re-election bid violently put down, with dozens of people killed by security forces in the past year.

Old foes: Guinea's president and his 'technocrat' election rival

  Old foes: Guinea's president and his 'technocrat' election rival Guinea's President Alpha Conde is seeking a controversial third term in Sunday's election, but the 82-year-old will have to stave off a stiff challenge from his longtime political foe, opposition leader Cellou Dalein Diallo. Critics say that Conde, a former opposition leader who was once sentenced to death by an autocratic leader, is himself drifting into authoritarianism by plotting to extend his grip on power. The president pushed through a revamped constitution in March that he said would modernise the country, but which opponents cast as a ploy to get around the West African country's two-term presidential limit.

Guinea -Bissau has been plagued by military coups and instability since its independence from Portugal in 1974, and in recent years has become a cocaine trafficking hub. But last November the UN's special representative for west Africa Mohamed Ibn Chambas praised the country's progress in fighting drug

Closed shops and empty roads were witnessed across much of the Guinean capital Conakry on Wednesday amid an opposition call for resistance against an

Since Monday, violence in cities across the country has left around 10 people dead, according to the authorities, a figure which the opposition says is much higher.


Video: Guinea police fire teargas outside opposition leader's house (AFP)

Family members reported five more deaths in the capital Conakry and in the provinces late Thursday, figures AFP was unable to confirm.

Guinea's Independent National Electoral Commission published a provisional vote tally late Thursday, with ballots counted in 37 out of 38 constituencies.

It did not declare a winner, but results showed Conde with more than 2.4 million votes, well ahead of Diallo with 1.2 million.

A run-off will be held on November 24 if needed.

Diallo, who was prime minister under authoritarian leader Lansana Conte, has said security forces have barricaded him inside his house.

President Conde seeks third term as Guinea goes to the polls

  President Conde seeks third term as Guinea goes to the polls Almost 5.5 million registered for the election expected to be tight race between Conde, opposition leader Diallo.Almost 5.5 million registered voters can vote at roughly 15,000 polling stations. Results are expected within 24 hours after voting closes at 6pm local time (1800 GMT).

Yahoo News Video. Internet outages in tense Guinea as Conde on course for vote win . AFP. Chris Wallace says he's 'jealous' that he couldn't be the moderator for 'substantive debate'.

WAAREE is committed to do its bit in helping Guinea energy secured. Talking at this event Thierno Falilou BALDE, Partner of THIERNO AND BROTHERS, said, "We have chosen WAAREE as supplier because we believe into quality of WAAREE equipment, the technical competence of WAAREE team

Police also raided his party headquarters in Conakry, the opposition leader said this week, tweeting agents were "destroying everything".

Security Minister Albert Damantang Camara confirmed that the party's premises had been "sealed off" under an open judicial order because "messages contrary to public order and national unity were broadcast".

He said Diallo's home was being guarded for "security reasons", without elaborating.

Young people on Thursday erected barricades in the capital Conakry, knocked over trash cans, lit fires and hurled stones at police and gendarmes in riot gear, who responded with gunfire, according to witnesses.

In other parts of the country, clashes broke out in the towns of Pita, Labe and Mali.

Monitors had warned of internet disruptions in the poor but resource-rich West African nation of 13 million people.

Before the controversial March referendum in which Conde pushed through a new constitution -- allowing him to bypass a two-term limit for presidents -- the country's telecoms infrastructure firm Guilab announced repairs to its submarine internet cable.

Guilab postponed the work after an outcry, but access to apps such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Whatsapp was later disrupted, according to a report by NetBlocks.

bm-lal/erc/txw

Losing candidates in Guinea reject vote result, demos to resume .
Protests against Guinea's President Alpha Conde will resume next week, the political opposition said Friday, after 10 losing candidates in the country's election rejected the official outcome. Addressing a news conference in the capital Conakry, losing candidate Makale Traore pointed to "serious irregularities recorded before, during and after the vote," including "substitutions and falsifications" of the results. "The participants decided toAddressing a news conference in the capital Conakry, losing candidate Makale Traore pointed to "serious irregularities recorded before, during and after the vote," including "substitutions and falsifications" of the results.

usr: 0
This is interesting!