•   
  •   

World A dozen bodies found in new Libya mass graves: Committee

15:31  29 october  2020
15:31  29 october  2020 Source:   aljazeera.com

UN Libya envoy 'optimistic' on ceasefire prospects

  UN Libya envoy 'optimistic' on ceasefire prospects Libya's rival factions have agreed to maintain a lull in fighting and open internal land and air routes, the UN's envoy to the troubled North African country said Wednesday, expressing optimism about prospects for a ceasefire. "I'm quite optimistic there is an air of seriousness and commitment," she said on the prospect for a ceasefire. But she stressed that "the degree of foreign intervention and foreign interference in Libya is unacceptable."Libya has been wracked by conflict since the overthrow and killing of dictator Moamer Kadhafi in 2011 in a NATO-backed uprising.

A dozen bodies have been unearthed in newly found mass graves in the Tarhuna region of western Libya from where renegade military commander A committee official, Tawfiq, told AFP journalists a total of 98 bodies had now been found since searches of mass graves were launched after the

A dozen bodies have been unearthed in newly found mass graves in the Tarhuna region of western Libya from which eastern strongman Khalifa Haftar's forces A committee official, Tawfiq, told AFP journalists a total of 98 bodies had now been found since searches of mass graves were launched

A dozen bodies have been unearthed in newly found mass graves in the Tarhuna region of western Libya from where renegade military commander Khalifa Haftar’s forces launched an aborted assault on Tripoli last year.

a group of people standing in the dirt: A committee official, Tawfiq, told AFP journalists a total of 98 bodies had now been found since searches of mass graves were launched after the withdrawal of Haftar's forces from western Libya in June. [Ayman Al-Sahili/Reuters] © A committee official, Tawfiq, told AFP journalists a total of 98 bodies had now been found since sea... A committee official, Tawfiq, told AFP journalists a total of 98 bodies had now been found since searches of mass graves were launched after the withdrawal of Haftar's forces from western Libya in June. [Ayman Al-Sahili/Reuters]

“Four new sites have been discovered, two of them mass graves and two individual graves, in Tarhuna … and unidentified bodies have been exhumed,” the committee tasked by the United Nations-recognised Government of National Accord (GNA) to search for missing people said on its Facebook page on Wednesday.

UN representative speaks of a historic moment: Armistice decided in Libya

 UN representative speaks of a historic moment: Armistice decided in Libya Libya has been sinking into chaos for years. Military representatives in Geneva have now taken a decisive step towards peace. © Photo: Violaine Martin / dpa Stephanie Williams, UN Commissioner for Libya, during talks between UNSMIL (United Nations Support Mission in Libya) and the conflicting parties on October 19, 2020. The rival camps in the civil war in Libya have agreed on a truce.

Seventeen bodies have been unearthed in newly found mass graves in western Libya ’s Tarhuna region, taking the total exhumed in recent months to 112, the missing persons authority said. Lotfi Tawfiq, who heads a committee tasked by the United Nations-recognised Government of National

We also found several mass graves , according to our initial reports dozens were buried alive". In response, the US Embassy in Libya tweeted, "The United States shares UNSMIL's horror and supports immediate efforts by Libyan authorities and international bodies to investigate these intolerable

A committee official, Tawfiq, told AFP journalists a total of 98 bodies had now been found since searches of mass graves were launched after the withdrawal of Haftar’s forces from western Libya in June.

At least 16 more mass graves have yet to be unearthed, according to Abdel Hakim Abu Naama, who heads a non-governmental association of Tarhuna victims.

In June, after footage posted on social media appeared to show summary executions and desecration of corpses, the Human Rights Watch called on Haftar, who is backed by the United Arab Emirates, Russia and Egypt, to investigate alleged war crimes by his fighters.

Tarhuna served as the main staging point for Haftar’s failed 14-month offensive against Tripoli, which is backed by Turkey.

Chaos in Libya: the rival powers conclude an "immediate" ceasefire

 Chaos in Libya: the rival powers conclude an © AFP / UN / Violaine Martin In Geneva, this Friday morning, the head of the delegation of the Libyan Arab armed forces Amhimmid Mohamed Alamami (at left) and the head of the military delegation of the Government of National Unity (GNA) Ahmed Ali Abushahma shake hands in front of UN Special Representative Stephanie Williams.

Eleven unidentified bodies were recovered inside a mass grave in the city of Tarhuna, some 90 km south of the capital Tripoli, the UN-backed government's Ministry of Justice said Thursday. "The committee tasked by the Minister of Justice to search for mass graves in the city of Tarhuna, with

Nine bodies have been found in another mass grave in the Libyan town of Tarhuna after fighters loyal to eastern strongman Khalifa Haftar withdrew "Nine bodies were discovered and exhumed on Sunday at a site suspected of containing mass graves , in the town of Tarhuna," said a statement

The warring factions in Libya signed a “permanent ceasefire” accord on Friday after the UN-sponsored talks in Geneva.

The Tripoli-based GNA and rival forces led by Haftar agreed to withdraw from the front lines, start demobilising armed groups and set about integrating them into the state.

Libya descended into a complex civil war after the 2011 overthrow of longtime leader Muammar Gaddafi in 2011, eventually splitting between the GNA and the eastern-based self-styled Libyan National Army (LNA).

Both sides are also supported by an array of fractious militias, though the administrations often struggle to control them. In much of the country, heavily armed militias hold sway and have repeatedly undermined ceasefire attempts.

Crucially, the ceasefire deal also calls for the departure of all foreign forces from Libyan soil within three months.

Justice and accountability key to Libya peace: Human Rights Watch .
Rights watchdog says ‘failure to see justice done will only hamper aspirations for durable peace’.“Failure to see justice done will only hamper aspirations for a durable peace,” warned the rights group’s senior Libya researcher, Hanan Salah, on Thursday.

usr: 0
This is interesting!